Bills special tems once again special...

Big Turk

Like clockwork, the Bills are ranked #1 in special teams again for the 3rd time in 5 years, finishing 2nd and 6th the other 2 years. Just how good is Bobby April?? That is a model of consistency in something that is very inconsistent on most teams. After taking away his best special teams players last year, April basically just reloaded with new players and made them even better(Bills finished 6th last year). What is amazing is that noone is even close to them...Football Outsiders has the Bills with a 6.2% STDVOA. 2nd place SF has a 4.6%, a difference of 1.6%, or the difference between 2nd place SF and the next 5 teams...

Look at the stats:

Average Drive Start: 32.2 yard line(ranked #1)

Leodis McKelvin: 29.3 KR Avg(ranked #2)

Roscoe Parrish: 15.3 PR Avg(ranked #1)

KO Coverage: 20.0 yards per KR(ranked #2)

Just how good are the special teams that they looked not so good earlier in the year, but again are leaps and bounds higher than the next closest team by the end of the year??

What makes it even more amazing is that he let a bunch of his best ST'ers go over the last couple years- Wire, Stamer, Haggan, Andre Davis, etc. and they just plug in different guys and they're just as good! It's actually pretty unbelievable and it's obviously due to Bobby April's system. Not to mention, April is a guy who gets fired up and yells on the sideline, something the Bills sorely need.

Like clockwork, the Bills are ranked #1 in special teams again for the 3rd time in 5 years, finishing 2nd and 6th the other 2 years. Just how good is Bobby April?? That is a model of consistency in something that is very inconsistent on most teams. After taking away his best special teams players last year, April basically just reloaded with new players and made them even better(Bills finished 6th last year). What is amazing is that noone is even close to them...Football Outsiders has the Bills with a 6.2% STDVOA. 2nd place SF has a 4.6%, a difference of 1.6%, or the difference between 2nd place SF and the next 5 teams...

Look at the stats:

Average Drive Start: 32.2 yard line(ranked #1)

Leodis McKelvin: 29.3 KR Avg(ranked #2)

Roscoe Parrish: 15.3 PR Avg(ranked #1)

KO Coverage: 20.0 yards per KR(ranked #2)

Just how good are the special teams that they looked not so good earlier in the year, but again are leaps and bounds higher than the next closest team by the end of the year??

Sadly we have an offense that wastes this excellence

Bobby April for HC!

Here's what I wonder. When an offensive or defensive coordinator is responsible for a consistently good unit (think Steve Spagnuolo and Jason Garrett), they pretty much instantly get on the hook for a fat contract as a head coach. But April has put out a consistently good product since he became our ST coach, and you don't even hear a whisper about a HC job for the guy. Yes, I realize that offensive and defensive prowess are higher priorities for any team, but April has been around football for a very long time, he has an intimate knowledge of the personnel on our team, you can tell that he has the respect and admiration of all the special teamers (you can just tell how excited they are to play their positions, even though it doesn't come with the fanfare of an offensive or defensive starter). So yeah, I say give the guy a chance before another team wises up to the idea and steals him out from under us.

Here's what I wonder. When an offensive or defensive coordinator is responsible for a consistently good unit (think Steve Spagnuolo and Jason Garrett), they pretty much instantly get on the hook for a fat contract as a head coach. But April has put out a consistently good product since he became our ST coach, and you don't even hear a whisper about a HC job for the guy. Yes, I realize that offensive and defensive prowess are higher priorities for any team, but April has been around football for a very long time, he has an intimate knowledge of the personnel on our team, you can tell that he has the respect and admiration of all the special teamers (you can just tell how excited they are to play their positions, even though it doesn't come with the fanfare of an offensive or defensive starter). So yeah, I say give the guy a chance before another team wises up to the idea and steals him out from under us.

He's been a ST coach/coordinator in the NFL for 17 years on 5 different teams. He either isn't looked upon as someone capable of advancing or he's repeatedly stated that's as much as he wants to do. I have no idea, but if a guy has had the same position with five different companies (or in this case, franchises) spanning two decades, never advancing higher than the position he attained 17 years ago, then there has to be a reason. Maybe he just doesn't want the headache of being a HC? Is a guy with no ambition really the type of guy you want as the head coach of an NFL football team? Any insight, Lori?

He's been a ST coach/coordinator in the NFL for 17 years on 5 different teams. He either isn't looked upon as someone capable of advancing or he's repeatedly stated that's as much as he wants to do. I have no idea, but if a guy has had the same position with five different companies (or in this case, franchises) spanning two decades, never advancing higher than the position he attained 17 years ago, then there has to be a reason. Maybe he just doesn't want the headache of being a HC? Is a guy with no ambition really the type of guy you want as the head coach of an NFL football team? Any insight, Lori?

I'm not Lori, but I'll try to answer it anyways! I'm fairly certain that he doesn't want to advance to head coach or into the college ranks as a HC. Usually guys who jump around because they don't get along with management, regardless of the sport or profession outside of sports, well, they almost always suck. Not here. Chances are that Bobby is content doing what he's doing for the salary that he's making. Can't blame the guy for avoiding the criticism that guys like Jauron get 24/7.

I'm not Lori, but I'll try to answer it anyways! I'm fairly certain that he doesn't want to advance to head coach or into the college ranks as a HC. Usually guys who jump around because they don't get along with management, regardless of the sport or profession outside of sports, well, they almost always suck. Not here. Chances are that Bobby is content doing what he's doing for the salary that he's making. Can't blame the guy for avoiding the criticism that guys like Jauron get 24/7.

That's pretty much what I suspect, as well. He could be happy just doing what he's good at and comfortable with how much he's being paid to do it. That's why the talk of offering him the HC job if Jauron leaves is foolish, IMO.

That's pretty much what I suspect, as well. He could be happy just doing what he's good at and comfortable with how much he's being paid to do it. That's why the talk of offering him the HC job if Jauron leaves is foolish, IMO.

Think about it logically though.. You have a guy in a mid management position who has bounced around from company to company in the same position. He's very good at his job. Chances are, he simply enjoys his job. You've got an IT guy who has worked for 5 whatever companies and he has not ever been promoted. He's very good at his job. Chances are, he simply likes the look on the morons' faces when he makes their taskbar "reappear" or gets their printer to work. You have another guy who has bounced around but is very bad at his job. Chances are, he just sucks so that's why he hasn't been promoted.

The Bills being so good at special teams in recent years just proves one thing.

Special Teams is not 1/3 of the game. A good special teams does not help you make the playoffs.

How do the playoff teams rank in special teams?

The Bills being so good at special teams in recent years just proves one thing.

Special Teams is not 1/3 of the game. A good special teams does not help you make the playoffs.

How do the playoff teams rank in special teams?

I do believe Special Teams is 1/3 of the game. ST's score either by (FG's, TD's on kick & punt returns) or setting up the offense in good field position. If we didn't have such a good ST, imagine what our record would look like? Probably 3-13 or worse.

Look at the 2000 Ravens, they won because of dominating defense & special teams. Both units were doing the majority of the scoring.

april is great, but a big part of our success is we draft and sign guys just for ST. that's why we have no depth at the lines, guys who would otherwise be decent backups are just ST demons, but are not ready to step up (wendling has been on the team for a couple years, no snaps at safety even tho we have had many injuries).

frankly i'd rather be top 5 or 10 instead of No 1 at ST and have better depth for O/D.

Our STs are good for a simple reason. Bobby April demands success from his players,and gets on them when they don't succeed. Its too bad we cant say that about any of our other coaches. dickie would demand success, but then he might hurt someone's feelings, so he doesn't.

They've been so good year after year because they get a lot of practice. There is a reason that the only player we sent to the pro bowl several times was our punter. He did it so much that he got good at it. Moorman wouldn't be nearly as good if our offense would just score more. And if our D would stop someone we wouldn't get a chance to see our return game. If I was April I would stay as long as our O and D still suck. I guess he'll be here a while.

I do believe Special Teams is 1/3 of the game. ST's score either by (FG's, TD's on kick & punt returns) or setting up the offense in good field position. If we didn't have such a good ST, imagine what our record would look like? Probably 3-13 or worse.

Look at the 2000 Ravens, they won because of dominating defense & special teams. Both units were doing the majority of the scoring.

I would trade a top Special Teams for a top Offense or Defense any day. Special Teams is more like 1/5 of the game.

I would trade a top Special Teams for a top Offense or Defense any day. Special Teams is more like 1/5 of the game.

I agree, I would rather have a Top Offense or Defense. But if you have a terrible special teams, you risk getting burned like in the Music City Nightmare (good job Bruce DeHaven :wallbash: )

april is great, but a big part of our success is we draft and sign guys just for ST. that's why we have no depth at the lines, guys who would otherwise be decent backups are just ST demons, but are not ready to step up (wendling has been on the team for a couple years, no snaps at safety even tho we have had many injuries).

frankly i'd rather be top 5 or 10 instead of No 1 at ST and have better depth for O/D.

I agree completely with this...