Bills looking to trade Peters

AlbanyBill

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link, this article does not discuss anything about contract extensions being discussed after last season. if people are saying the bills are leaking info point it out, what is Russ Brandon's avatar on this? where are his leaks to other media types. Direct axamples or don't say it.

The real interesting thing about Brandon is that he developed his marketing genius as head of spin control for the cheapest organization in all of pro sports - the Florida Marlins BASEBALL team.

As noted in Larry Felser's article, the Bills problems have all historically been rooted in Ralph's misguided adventures with hiring non-football people to run his team.

It's bad enough to put a marketing guy in charge, but when his background is baseball, the writing is on the wall as to what the focus of the Bills is (and it sure isn't building a contender)

Citing the Marlins link is hilarious. They bought a title in 97, then totally dismantled nearly the entire team in 98. RB left after 97, and I'm sure he read the writing on the wall when the team was stripped down.

Felser is dead on again, but it will fall on deaf ears.

I agree completely here-Brandon's job isn't to find talent (they leave that to Guy and Modrak, with DJ making the picks) but rather to spin things into this team being legitimate. I will maintain until this team attains respectability or moves, that fans must educate themselves on how normal NFL franchises operate. Buffalo is not one of them and remains the one of the exceptions to how successful teams work. DET, KC, STL, OAK, and CIN are the others.

point out direct examples--all i am saying

Mark Felt says hello. The public finally learned his identity three years ago. The origin of leaks are unknown, but it depends on reading between the lines and having the savvy to understand why someone would leak something to the press. Felt had his reasons, and so do the Bills. Leaks will happen from both Peters' agent and the Bills. Sad to say, but Peters' agent is supposed to do this. Buffalo's front office should man up and begin negotiations. Instead they revert to playing games and hitting up their best player. Peters is no saint, but represents the closest thing they have to elite talent. Watching the Bills treat him like this is funny, because getting rid of him tells me they're not serious about winning. It says they want to remain mediocre and keep payroll down.

The Bills win another without Peters. In no way am I saying he is at fault for any losses, but this goes to the point that his presence is not necessary for victory. There are plenty of teams succeeding in the NFL without a "star" left tackle.

If I had any faith at all in the Bills front office, I would rather they move Peters for the bounty he'd likely attract and use the money they otherwise would have spent on him to bring in a couple legit NFL players on the D-line, O-line, linebacking corps, wherever. The Bills would be better off in the short- and long-run.

Problem is, I have no faith in the front office to pull off such a shrewd maneuver. But that doesn't change the fact that Peters is worth more to the Bills as an expendable asset than as a $9 million a year tackle they have done just fine without.

The Bills line needs upgrading. While I was upset with Peters for holding out na dtaking 6 + weeks to get into shape he is the best lineman we have which frankly isnt saying much. Buffalo needs an overhaul on our O- line.

C- Fowler is gone at seasons end, and Preston is improving but he has a long way to go.

LG- Dockery- I guess I expected more for 49 Million dollars.

RG- Butler- I dont know solid not flashy, but he seems more like a backup than a starter, he not a pile mover kind of guy

LT- Peters See above.

RT- Langston is a huge man, losing 20 -30 pounds might help his quickness, he doesnt have a nasty streak in him.

Switching Butler and Walker could also be interesting. More beef inside could be an interesting move.

Trading a 2x bro bowler like peters to a team that is rebuilding or willing to part with a 1st and 2nd or 2 1st rounders then I say move him and draft 2 linemen to replace him. BUt 4 God sake do your himework and dont find another Mike williams.

Trading a 2x bro bowler like peters to a team that is rebuilding or willing to part with a 1st and 2nd or 2 1st rounders then I say move him and draft 2 linemen to replace him. BUt 4 God sake do your himework and dont find another Mike williams.

There in lies your problem....You don't know what you have got in those draft picks...But you know what Peters can do...If Peters is paid this off season and is in the entire off season progarm, I see Peters being a very dominant player for your team...You just cannot draft another starting LT in the league.

The Bills need to first address their weak spots as in Center, Pass Rusher, Tight End before trying to break up what they have been building. The Bills expected their rookies to make contributions, but other than McKelvin, none of them have and I see the same problem next year....Next year we need Hardy, Johnson and McKelvin to make the next level and be starters on this team.

I'm thinking that the Bills signed what's his name to add some depth at OT as they get ready to move Peters. My thinking is that the Bills and Ralph "Mr Cheap" Wilson won't be willing to pay what he will demand after his contract is up in 2 years. I'm not sure they will trade him this offseason but next year, IMO, they will definitely shop him. I'm not so sure I would be too upset. He is good but he is going to want big $ and I'm not exactly sure he's worth it. If we could get a 1st round pick I'd be happy. thoughts?

Jason Peters for Julius Peppers

anything less you dont even think about :lol:

yeah lets have yet another set back for this team. If the front office dont get something done with him before next season, to hell with them all. Granted he had a rough start to the year holding out and all, but lets face it, hes our best OL. Peters has a point calling out the front office, they said they wont do any talks unless he reports, he reported and the front office has yet to hold up its end of the deal......

I wont be shocked if Jason Peters holds out yet again, but this time he will stand ground and WONT return.........

...and then he won't get paid!! :lol: If the Bills want to stick it to him, they could just do the same thing that did last year...get ready to play with who's there. Peters will work a new deal only if it works for both sides...he gets fair money and the Bills lock him up for an additional 4-5 years. Otherwise, he has no choice but to play out the current contract (disgruntledly) and then move on.

Ithink almost everyone who responded to this post does not understand what I am saying. Let me try to clarify- I'm not saying the Bills should trade Peters this offseason, even though he will undoubtedly hold out again and the team will suffer for it. I'm not saying it would be ideal for the Bills to trade Peters at all. All I'm saying is the Bills FO has shown in the past that they are willing to let great players walk rather than pay them what they demand in free agency and if that is the case, if the options are let Peters go for nothing or trade him and get a couple of day one draft picks for him, the choice is clear. Does anyone disagree with that?

I know we would all like to keep our great players but the fact is Mr. Wilson is a cheapskate who won't pay for real talent and I could see him letting Peters walk instead of paying top dollar to keep him. (even though he will overpay mediocre players like Schobel and Kelsay). That is all I'm trying to say.

Got it. And many of us think you are wrong. Ralph lets some talent go, and keeps other guys. If you look, you see that he lets older guys go (depending on the coach) and also defensive backfield guys. He's not always cheap at all. He signed Evans to a very high value contract, and he has been willing to pay high dollars for Langston Walker, Dockery, our DEs and many others. Ralph isn't a cheapskate. He makes value judgments and many times he listens to what his football guys tell him and does that. He doesn't always get it right, but it's not righ tto say he's a cheapskate.

LT is a very difficult position to fill. Ralph and the braintrust know this. The odds are very high that Peters will get a new contract this offseason when they can get a slight discount for the willingness to upgrade his pay over the next two years.

I see our favorite player Jason Peters isn't playing today. How convenient for him. Guess its officially vacation time till game one next September....Hope he feels better and can play in Hawaii with his Probowl buds...

Last year he missed the last game due to injury. This year he misses the last two games due to injury. He won't be going to Hawaii - all that matters is him getting nominated.

Jason Peters for Julius Peppers

anything less you dont even think about :blush:

Peppers is a free agent you can get him for cold hard cash- as for what Peters is worth on the open market, he's a probowl player at the second or third most important position- he's just turned 27 so he should have five or six prime years ahead- OTs often can play at a high level until their late 30s- the top 2 OTs in this years draft will probably both be gone in the first 4 picks and neither is the athlete Peters is- looking at these facts I say his value is at least at the average of the first 4 picks- go find a draft trade value chart and you'd get an Idea of what a team would have to give up for the Bills to trade Peters.

...and then he won't get paid!! :blush: If the Bills want to stick it to him, they could just do the same thing that did last year...get ready to play with who's there. Peters will work a new deal only if it works for both sides...he gets fair money and the Bills lock him up for an additional 4-5 years. Otherwise, he has no choice but to play out the current contract (disgruntledly) and then move on.

I love the way fans think the Bills have all this leverage to stick it too players. The Bills have limited talent. I can count the Bills' upper echelon players on one hand....Peters, Lynch, and Evans. If they want to keep some upper tier talent (which they rarely do) at a key position, they will show him the money.

If the Bills somehow think the team will take average-to-below average talent, apply some average to below average coaching, and somehow make it to the playoffs, they are seriously deluded.

Signing him won't be cheap, but I think it is in the best interest of the Bills to spend some big money on Jason Peters.

I love the way fans think the Bills have all this leverage to stick it too players. The Bills have limited talent. I can count the Bills' upper echelon players on one hand....Peters, Lynch, and Evans. If they want to keep some upper tier talent (which they rarely do) at a key position, they will show him the money.

If the Bills somehow think the team will take average-to-below average talent, apply some average to below average coaching, and somehow make it to the playoffs, they are seriously deluded.

Signing him won't be cheap, but I think it is in the best interest of the Bills to spend some big money on Jason Peters.

that's not how the Marlins did it when Brandon was there :blush: