3-4 defense

nuklz2594

It would be nice for us to revert to a defensive scheme that actually worked at one time. We need major help and upgrades on the defensive line. Why not scrap this mess and go to a 3-4? Are Stroud and Williams capable of playing nose tackle? The defensive ends are a problem now and need to be upgraded anyway. Poz and Kavicka are more than big enough to handle lb responsiblities in this scheme.

It would be nice for us to revert to a defensive scheme that actually worked at one time. We need major help and upgrades on the defensive line. Why not scrap this mess and go to a 3-4? Are Stroud and Williams capable of playing nose tackle? The defensive ends are a problem now and need to be upgraded anyway. Poz and Kavicka are more than big enough to handle lb responsiblities in this scheme.

I wonder if Stroud could play DE in a 3-4. Williams would be tough to fit--no way he can play NT.

If we were to run a 3-4, who's inside and who's outside for the LB's. Poz and Mitchell look pretty slow to me--can they handle OLB?

Moving to a 3-4 would be a mistake of epic proportions at this point.

1 - We do NOT have DE's even remotely capable of playing in that system.

2 - Our linebackers aren't NEARLY good enough to play that system.

3 - Our safeties are pitiful, and not qualified to play in such a system.

There is a dearth of talent on the defensive side of the ball, like it or not. No ends, mediocre linebackers, below average safeties. If you have talent, you can win with any system... Tampa-2, 4-3, 3-4, 46, whatever. This team could win with the Fewell Tampa-2 if they had impact players. Unfortunately, they don't have nearly enough.

No. Bills defense has gone from like number 31 in the league last year to 10 and 15 in fewest points allowed. Let's just try to get a little more talent. We'll be fine. I'm not a big Tampa-2 guy either, but for the most part, it seems to be working. Let's not start over now.

The O is where we need to concentrate.

That would be nice but you can't just do that and adapt over one offseason. It doesn't work. We would need to replace all of our defensive ends with the exception of Schoebel. We'd need to get 2 more starting LBs instead of just one (Ellison doesn't cut it), we'd need to get 3-4 backup LBs capable of playing in the scheme.

So no, that's a stupid thought assuming we want to win next year.

3-4 works only if you have a dominant Nose Tackle...

We have one... we should switch... the only question is do we have 4 good linebackers. With Crowell, most definitely, but will he be a Bill next year?

I'm not so sure we do have one.

Stroud, in the way he plays the position, is more like Cowboys Pro Bowl NT Jay Ratliff. He's more athletic than physically dominant. Stroud is not a 2 gap plugger in the mold of guys like Casey Hampton, Jamal Williams, Vince Wilfork, and Kris Jenkins. You can have a strong defense w/ an athletic NT (the Cowboys can sure bring it), but you'll have to have a relentless front seven, in terms of how they pursue the ballcarriers and the QB. That we most certainly do not have.

That would be nice but you can't just do that and adapt over one offseason. It doesn't work. We would need to replace all of our defensive ends with the exception of Schoebel. We'd need to get 2 more starting LBs instead of just one (Ellison doesn't cut it), we'd need to get 3-4 backup LBs capable of playing in the scheme.

So no, that's a stupid thought assuming we want to win next year.

I may be wrong on this but didn't Miami switch from 4-3 to 3-4 this year while getting rid of Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas? Seems as though it's working for them. It's not as catastrophic as everyone thinks to switch defensive scheme's in between seasons, then again we don't have a GM with the eye of Parcelles.

From a personnel standpoint, we are pretty much stuck with the 4-3 scheme. Would take new coaches and a half dozen new players to switch.... Bills have been reasonalbly good on D and on special teams this year.. its the offense that has been terrible in the 2nd half of the season.....

so 2/3 of our line will be crap instead of 2/4

I may be wrong on this but didn't Miami switch from 4-3 to 3-4 this year while getting rid of Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas? Seems as though it's working for them. It's not as catastrophic as everyone thinks to switch defensive scheme's in between seasons, then again we don't have a GM with the eye of Parcelles.

Miami employed a hybrid 4-3/3-4 scheme in the years before Sparano's arrival. They were already familiar w/ the 3-4 scheme.

WOW this board has SUCH a crush on the 3-4. Personally I don't like that defense. I never have. I think it's too soft against a power running team. But forgetting that for a second we simply CANNOT switch to a 3-4 because if you think the defense is bad now wait until you see this group playing a 3-4. With the linebacking corps that the Bills have I don't know why anyone would want to see 4 of them on the field at the same time.

Do you remenber the Dallas and Washington super bowls? Both 4-3 defenses.