(OT) Biggest Baseball Shocker In History

Rico

(OT) Biggest Baseball Shocker  

31 members have voted

1. 1. (OT) Biggest Baseball Shocker

• 1969 Mets win a World Series
    • 2004 Red Sox win a World Series

Not even close. The Mets were a doormat team that came out of absolutely nowhere to win the pennant and shock an awesome O's team in the WS.

The Sox were six outs from the WS the year before and THEN went out and added one of the 3 best pitchers in baseball.

It's a shock to their fans after the long wait, but there was no question in April that they were one of the best teams in baseball.

Not even close.  The Mets were a doormat team that came out of absolutely nowhere to win the pennant and shock an awesome O's team in the WS.

The Sox were six outs from the WS the year before and THEN went out and added one of the 3 best pitchers in baseball.

It's a shock to their fans after the long wait, but there was no question in April that they were one of the best teams in baseball.

89126[/snapback]

I'm a Mets fan first (then Sox - I don't want to discuss '86) but the 2004 Sox would destroy the 1969 Mets. In '69, I'm not sure the Mets were favored to finish the season let alone 1st in the National. The '69 Orioles were dominant, it was a complete shock.

Actually this is the a stupid poll!!!

Pole should be Biggest choke! Yankees in 2004 or Sox in 1986

Yanks in 2004 !!!

Look at the big picture, look at the history.

The Boston Red Sox  <_< actually won a World Series.

Simply shocking.

89297[/snapback]

Look at the big picture, look at the history.

The Boston Red Sox  <_< actually won a World Series.

Simply shocking.

89297[/snapback]

In the big picture yes, but thinking about baseball today, not really. A lot of Yankee haters and non Yankees fans love to bring up $ as the only reason the yankees are winning again, but not many fans want to say that the Red Sox have also benefitted from spending more $ too. So looking at their talent level, its not that suprising they won. the way they came back against the Yankees down 3-0 it was, but overall looking at 2004 if you told me the Red Sox would win the WS, I wouldnt have been that shocked.

exactly Clements...exactly.

When the Yankees win...it's about payroll.

When Boston wins....it's about team character. Yet they have the second highest payroll in the game.

89448[/snapback]

And I agree...the Sox should be applauded for their character, they were truly a team...but $ is NEVER mentioned...

The Sox were a shocker only after Game 3 of the ALCS. At basically any other point in the season (OK, excluding Games 2-6 of the ALCS) the Red Sox were, if not a favorite, a strong contender for the world series. It's about as much of a shock as the Bucs winning the Super Bowl a couple years ago. I didn't pick them, but a 14-year-old girl in my English class did. So its not exactly a surprise.

Not to take anything away from Sox fans, but what really happened here is the team with the second highest payroll won it all after the team with the highest payroll had the biggest choke in baseball history.

Not a shock at all. The 2002 Angels and 2003 Marlins were both bigger shocks, when you look at it from the standpoints of payroll, expectations, and the way their seasons started.

In the big picture yes, but thinking about baseball today, not really.  A lot of Yankee haters and non Yankees fans love to bring up $ as the only reason the yankees are winning again, but not many fans want to say that the Red Sox have also benefitted from spending more $ too.  So looking at their talent level, its not that suprising they won. the way they came back against the Yankees down 3-0 it was, but overall looking at 2004 if you told me the Red Sox would win the WS, I wouldnt have been that shocked.

89433[/snapback]

Clements, you're right, and I'm coming from a non-Yanks fan's perspective. The thing is where the Yanks succeeded in the past was through shrewd FA moves and having the money to keep their young talent. They are running up short now because they haven't developed any of their own young pitching in years and are signing the big bats instead of role players like Brosius and O'Neill. Those guys had heart and were Yankees through and through. I'm still not convinced A-Rod does. I think the Sox followed a similar blueprint to the Yanks' championship years, though they won't be able to keep this team together entirely.

The shocker for the Sox was in the execution, not that they got there.