The call WAS NOT that bad

TheBlackMamba

The thing is they DID trust him to run that play (which is why it was called). The problem with the whole situation was the execution of the play.

No, the "Thing" is that a coach is supposed to put his players in a position to win. Calling that play lacks that quality, if you can't see that then I don't know what else to tell you other than "Go Dick!"

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Schopp's argument from last night ... but one of these is not like the other.

Cleveland: down two, at the 34-yard line, making it a 51-yard FG (at the very edge of Lindell's range, no matter what was said in the postgame press conference).

New Jersey: Up three, trying to run out the clock.

In the Monday night game, it was imperative to try to get as many yards as possible. They didn't, and Lindell missed a kick that was longer than it needed to be. Yesterday, what was the worst that could have happened if Lynch had been stuffed on both second and third downs? A punt from the Bills' 20, inside the two-minute warning and after forcing the Jets to use at least one of their timeouts? Considering that the Jets had ZERO first downs in the fourth quarter, even though the D has given up its share of late-game drives this season, that's still an acceptable risk.

If Brett Favre puts together a two-minute-drill to beat you, that's one thing ... and far preferable to literally handing them the game.

Pretty well sums it up. Why is this such a difficult thing to understand.

We all learn when we're about 5 that if you have the lead, late in the 4th quarter, you run the ball to run out the clock. It's not pretty, it's not sexy, but it's been done that way for decades for one reason - it works. Now, if it were 3rd and long; maybe. If Lynch was getting stuffed all day; maybe. If JP was on fire and Evans (not a FB) was having a career day; maybe. But if your RB is having a great game, your Oline is actually creating holes, and you're on your own 25yd line (more or less); you run the damn ball.

There's no need to discuss or complicate the issue. Jauron or whomever called the play screwed up. Yes, JP should have protected the ball. Peters should have at least touched the blitzer. The FB shouldn't have fallen down. But, those are all exactly why you don't call that play - there's too many things that can go wrong. In that situation, you just don't want to screw up. A running play straight ahead is the best way to ensure that. Period. Done.

The call was not that bad. They were trying to win the game. The whole concept of calling the play time because there was 2:06 left was acutally a good idea. If its incomplete the clock is going to stop anyway and if it works then can run some more time off the clock.

The problem with the call is who they entrusted to execute the play. Everyone in the stadium, watching the game and basically anyone who has ever seen Losman play knows he is a turnover machine. Losman botched the play not the coaches. All he had to do was not fumble or throw a pick and he did. If the play is successful everyone is sitting here saying "oh what a great call". But i guess that comes with the territory.

In the Cleveland game the coaches were criticized for being too conservative on the final drive with 3 straight runs. Now, when they are agressive and playingto win the game and not playing to lose it they are killed for it.

Even if the play resulted in a freaking touchdown it STILL would have been a bad call. They put the game in JP's hands instead of Marshawn's, who was having an awesome game, and would NOT have f***ked it up. JP is an awful QB and is a backup here, but won't even land on a team next year. Actually thinking he could not f***k up that play is an act of lunacy.

The call was not that bad. They were trying to win the game. The whole concept of calling the play time because there was 2:06 left was acutally a good idea. If its incomplete the clock is going to stop anyway and if it works then can run some more time off the clock.

The problem with the call is who they entrusted to execute the play. Everyone in the stadium, watching the game and basically anyone who has ever seen Losman play knows he is a turnover machine. Losman botched the play not the coaches. All he had to do was not fumble or throw a pick and he did. If the play is successful everyone is sitting here saying "oh what a great call". But i guess that comes with the territory.

In the Cleveland game the coaches were criticized for being too conservative on the final drive with 3 straight runs. Now, when they are agressive and playingto win the game and not playing to lose it they are killed for it.

You are missing the point of why this call was bad...it was only 2nd down and 5 and we are up 4 not 3, meaning the Jets need a TD to win not just a FG. They had 2 plays to pick up the first, so give it to the hot hand on 2nd in Lynch. If he gets stuff, so be it, then you can argue throwing on 3rd to try and seal the win, or running again to take the clock down some more if you dont get it. With our excellent punting team, you run with Lynch here on 2nd and 3rd and take time off the clock or timeouts out of NY's hands because even if we dont get the 1st, we will pin them deep with little time on the clock and them needing a TD.

If we are up only 3pts or less, then we run on 2nd, then pass on 3rd if its any more than 3rd and 2 to seal the win rather than risk a punt a couple of quick throws to lose on a FG by NY. But it wasnt, they needed a freaking TD to win, so run the ball, run down the clock, if we dont get it, we pin them deep and make them go 90 yards for a TD with little time and one or no timeouts. Just that simple...

Not to mention, the way Lynch was running, there was a good chance he can get the 5 yards for the first with 2 chances at it.

One other thing about the play call....the play was designed to be a pass to the fullback...who was not even on the roster earlier this year.

I can almost see a short pass to Lynch or Evans, your two biggest stars and playmakers, if they are really selling out against the run. But the fullback???

Sorry, this smacks of wicky wacky mularkey and the Travis Henry halfback option in Miami. Yes, the call is that bad.

Pretty well sums it up. Why is this such a difficult thing to understand.

We all learn when we're about 5 that if you have the lead, late in the 4th quarter, you run the ball to run out the clock. It's not pretty, it's not sexy, but it's been done that way for decades for one reason - it works. Now, if it were 3rd and long; maybe. If Lynch was getting stuffed all day; maybe. If JP was on fire and Evans (not a FB) was having a career day; maybe. But if your RB is having a great game, your Oline is actually creating holes, and you're on your own 25yd line (more or less); you run the damn ball.

There's no need to discuss or complicate the issue. Jauron or whomever called the play screwed up. Yes, JP should have protected the ball. Peters should have at least touched the blitzer. The FB shouldn't have fallen down. But, those are all exactly why you don't call that play - there's too many things that can go wrong. In that situation, you just don't want to screw up. A running play straight ahead is the best way to ensure that. Period. Done.

/thread

They knew Losman was in at quarterback, correct? And still called the play anyway? That's on them, then.

Concurrence :rolleyes: Stupid,just stupid, as a matter of fact, Greenie, from Mike & Mike, not that he is some expert on

anything, said it was the supidest play call he has ever seeen. It didn't look like it was intended to ber a roll-out, Losman

could f&ck up a one car funeral. :w00t:

You are missing the point of why this call was bad...it was only 2nd down and 5 and we are up 4 not 3, meaning the Jets need a TD to win not just a FG. They had 2 plays to pick up the first, so give it to the hot hand on 2nd in Lynch. If he gets stuff, so be it, then you can argue throwing on 3rd to try and seal the win, or running again to take the clock down some more if you dont get it. With our excellent punting team, you run with Lynch here on 2nd and 3rd and take time off the clock or timeouts out of NY's hands because even if we dont get the 1st, we will pin them deep with little time on the clock and them needing a TD.

If we are up only 3pts or less, then we run on 2nd, then pass on 3rd if its any more than 3rd and 2 to seal the win rather than risk a punt a couple of quick throws to lose on a FG by NY. But it wasnt, they needed a freaking TD to win, so run the ball, run down the clock, if we dont get it, we pin them deep and make them go 90 yards for a TD with little time and one or no timeouts. Just that simple...

Not to mention, the way Lynch was running, there was a good chance he can get the 5 yards for the first with 2 chances at it.

Alphadog...you are mistaken...the score was 27-24 at that time and we were up by THREE points not TWO.

Check the Play by Play http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?g...20&period=4

Secondly, there was absolutely NO REASON WHATSOEVER why we should have passes the ball, on 2nd or 3rd down. Absolutely no reason. As you yourself stated, Lynch had the "hot hand," and even though LosTman was pretty adequate on the last scoring drive (4 for 4), you dance with the one that brung ya, in this case, Lynch.

Third, we wouldn't lose on a FG if they scored on the next drive...it would have tied the game up and gone to overtime...that is after McKelvin gets another shot at a kick return. Also, its good to note that our defense hadn't allowed a first down in the entire 4th quarter.

I would be hard pressed to think that the Jets could have mustered a first with 1:30 left and one timeout (that is if we ran on both plays and made the Jets spend their 2nd).

When I read all the criticism about this play and how Jauron could have even considered calling this play, let alone overturn Schonert and demand he call it, I put it all in perspective. I don't care that Jauron wanted this play to be run. The logic is reasonable, it would have reached the 2 minute warning either way, so an unexpected pass could give them the chance to reach the first down marker and end the game. The Jets had clearly stacked the box and had the Bills run the ball there it seemed like it would go nowhere. What bothers me most is that Jauron is too scared to throw the ball one time with Trent Edwards at the helm on Monday Night, after making a tremendous 30 yard throw on the first play of the drive. Yet he is confident in putting the ball in JP Losman's hands, the most sack-prone, turnover-prone quarterback I have ever seen. One quarterback plays his best in the last 5 minutes of the game and one plays his worst, and Jauron chose to put the ball in the hands of the latter of the two. It just shows a complete lack of competence and playing to your personnel, and at this point there is no defending Jauron. As far as I'm concerned, he and JP should be fired immediately and not even allowed to travel with the team these last two weeks.

Alphadog...you are mistaken...the score was 27-24 at that time and we were up by THREE points not TWO.

Check the Play by Play http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?g...20&period=4

Secondly, there was absolutely NO REASON WHATSOEVER why we should have passes the ball, on 2nd or 3rd down. Absolutely no reason. As you yourself stated, Lynch had the "hot hand," and even though LosTman was pretty adequate on the last scoring drive (4 for 4), you dance with the one that brung ya, in this case, Lynch.

Third, we wouldn't lose on a FG if they scored on the next drive...it would have tied the game up and gone to overtime...that is after McKelvin gets another shot at a kick return. Also, its good to note that our defense hadn't allowed a first down in the entire 4th quarter.

I would be hard pressed to think that the Jets could have mustered a first with 1:30 left and one timeout (that is if we ran on both plays and made the Jets spend their 2nd).

You know another time when Lynch had the hot hand? Against Cleveland. Remember when he couldn't get a first down after 3 straight carries then?

I'm sorry, but this play properly executed results in a first down, EVERYTIME. One first down would have been the dagger in the Jets' collective heart.

It was NOT a poor play call.

The play call WAS that bad since JP Loser was in. Dick didn't remember #7 was playing? In the Cleveland game, the Bills were losing and needed to score. Simple stuff. There is nothing to defend. Everything around Jauron fails. He doesn't think the hard stuff, and he overthinks the easy stuff. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. He is what his recoed says he is. A LOSER.

Yes, it was brilliant, and I may try it again someday.

:rolleyes:

In fact, the WORST thing that could have happened handing the ball off to Lynch happened anyways. I'm aware of all JP's follies, but you guys make it sound like running a bootleg actually increases a team's chances of falling victim to the ole sack/fumble/TD return play.

I honestly think the sheer calamity of the play has people thinking the call was a lot worse.

And for the record- everyone's blaming JP, and hardly ANYONE is mentioning what a complete boner Peters was on the play, that it was HIS missed block that got the thing off rails to begin with.

I'm sorry, but what? The fact that the play that they called resulted in the worst possible outcome that a different play might've produced means that the call was ok? What kind of pretzel logic are you employing here?

The funniest thing to me is that the Ellis' TD return left the Bills with almost 2 minutes and all three of their timeouts to try to answer. With everyone talking about the dubious play call, no one is talking about how improbable it was for the Bills to get the ball back TWICE -- even after the Jets' offense had tried to milk the clock by going for it on 4th down -- and for Losman to toss an interception on both drives. In barely over 2 minutes JP managed to turn the ball over THREE times!

I was in a bar with a roomful of people that were complaining all day that they kept Losman in the pocket rather than roll him out. So they roll him out, and look what happened. Just goes to show what fans know.

Many on this board were complaining (search for posts yourself) that Losman was being misused by coaching staff not letting him use his athletic ability and were too predictable. They didn't do either and the same people complain because he did what they said he should have done.

Yeah, the better play would have been a run. DJ should be fired just for that. But come on, folks, Losman should take at least 51 percent of the blame on that - he's gotta know to take care of the football.

No one should be fired for one decision in a game; all those who think he ought to be fired ought to be willing to pony up THEIR money and pay Jauron's salary. Calling for firing a coach for one decision in game is extremely dumb or extremely stupid sarcastic remark - take your pick.

Oh and I saw replay of Jauron saying it was his call and he is an extremely poor liar. Covering up for OC it appears.

You know another time when Lynch had the hot hand? Against Cleveland. Remember when he couldn't get a first down after 3 straight carries then?

I'm sorry, but this play properly executed results in a first down, EVERYTIME. One first down would have been the dagger in the Jets' collective heart.

It was NOT a poor play call.

The issue with the playcall has nothing to do with the actual call itself or who ran it. The issue in my mind is that the coaching staff doesn't have confidence in the players. It's been happening all season long even during the 5-0 stretch. Due to the lack of confidence the coaching staff makes terrible decisions with the playcalling resulting in losses like we say yesterday.

Here are the play calles to start the drive before the Fumble.

1-10-BUF 10 (4:20) 23-M.Lynch left tackle to BUF 14 for 4 yards (77-K.Jenkins, 52-D.Harris).

2-6-BUF 14 (3:35) (Shotgun) 23-M.Lynch left tackle to BUF 19 for 5 yards (69-C.Mosley, 25-K.Rhodes).

3-1-BUF 19 (2:53) 23-M.Lynch right guard to BUF 22 for 3 yards (92-S.Ellis, 25-K.Rhodes).

1-10-BUF 22 (2:11) 23-M.Lynch left guard to BUF 27 for 5 yards (92-S.Ellis).

Timeout #1 by NYJ at 02:06.

That is a 4.25 yards a carry on those 4 plays alone. To start that drive the Jets had to know that they would be receiving a heavy dose of Marshawn Lynch but they couldn't stop him. I am willing to bet that the Bills knew the Jets knew Beast mode was coming and they still ran 4 straight times. My question is if it isn't broke why fix it?

The coaching staff outwitted themself.

To top it all off i feel extremely bad for Marshawn Lynch and the rest of the offense. Marshawn Lynch makes a bold statement mid week taking blame for the offensive woes. He comes out on the field with a fired up offensive line and rushes the most of out every runningback the Jets defense has faced this year. I personally was extremely impressed with the whole offense when they pushed the pile into the endzone on the Freddie Jackson TD. Everyone was excited even the WR's. they were jumping up and down as if they scored a 60 yard TD.

The Bills get into a position to win with the Running game and the coaching staff took it out of their hands. To me that is unacceptable. The NFL is about playmakers and the coaching staff pissed on it.