The Play Call - Unbelievable!

All_Pro_Bills

So let me get this straight- it was a bad play call because the coach should have KNOWN that JP would get sacked, fumble, let a fumble go the other way for the game winning touchdown?

In the context of the game, it was a fine play call. But to say that the coach's should have been certain of the extent to which Losman screwed that pooch is an intolerable displacement of blame!

Which one is it folks? Make the play calls within your QB's complete lack of capability? Or call to win the game?

Some people can't be satisfied, I swear!

No, it was a bad call because the running game was working like a top. It is what you work for, all game (wearing down the defensive line, so that every run goes for 4+ yards late in the game)...and then you decide to not cash the check with the game on the line. There is no upside to letting JP roll out...that is, nothing that wasn't likely to be accomplished by simply sticking to the run (with your backs) on 2nd and five. The Bills did not need a BIG PLAY, in fact a big play would have worked against them, at that point. They needed to GRIND out first downs. So, it's a bad call no matter who the QB is.

Factor in JP's amazing fumbling streak, when he has been hit recently, and it turns into one of the stupidest calls I have ever seen.

You are blasting away at about 5-yards a rush. Why do ANYTHING else? To have some fun? To introduce drama? To blow the game, apparently.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing wrong with that play call was that it reflected confidence in Losman.

The staff has to know they have a guy back there who's a sack and TO machine, and call plays in light of that reality.

What? This is a pro-team. You have to have confidence in everybody. One has to empower every player. What is wrong with that. Why hide your problems? That is the only way to truly get better. Better with a purpose.

So let me get this straight- it was a bad play call because the coach should have KNOWN that JP would get sacked, fumble, let a fumble go the other way for the game winning touchdown?

YES!

Question: Did you actually watch the game? Cause if you did, you would know that JP was AWFUL in this game. He was throwing 3 feet high to wide open guys ten yards away from him. Putting the ball in his hands unnecessarily with the game on the line was a BAD, BAD call.

In the context of the game, it was a fine play call. But to say that the coach's should have been certain of the extent to which Losman screwed that pooch is an intolerable displacement of blame!

If you had a top flight QB and/or a terrible running game? Maybe. But you have a RB who is KILLING a tired defense for more than six yards per carry and you have a completely inept QB. Understanding your personnel is part of the 'context of the game'.

It is absolutely the coach's fault.

They have to know they have one of the mentally slowest QBs to ever play the game in there. JPL is as close to clinical retardation as you can get. To call any play that forced him to actually think rests on this coaching staff and their inability to evaluate their own players strengths, weaknesses, and mental capabilities.

Blaming this on Losman is like yelling insults to the short bud kids - they can't help it and neither can JP.

<_<

No, it was a bad call because the running game was working like a top. It is what you work for, all game (wearing down the defensive line, so that every run goes for 4+ yards late in the game)...and then you decide to not cash the check with the game on the line. There is no upside to letting JP roll out...that is, nothing that wasn't likely to be accomplished by simply sticking to the run (with your backs) on 2nd and five. The Bills did not need a BIG PLAY, in fact a big play would have worked against them, at that point. They needed to GRIND out first downs. So, it's a bad call no matter who the QB is.

Factor in JP's amazing fumbling streak, when he has been hit recently, and it turns into one of the stupidest calls I have ever seen.

You are blasting away at about 5-yards a rush. Why do ANYTHING else? To have some fun? To introduce drama? To blow the game, apparently.

Honestly, we'll have to agree to disagree.

What's the worst that happens on a run? We fumble and it gets returned for a TD.

What's the worst that could happen on a pass? We fumble/throw a pick and it gets returned for a TD.

What's the next worst thing that could happen on a run? We get stuffed. 3rd and 5

What's the next worst thing to happen on a pass? Sack, loss of yards, clock still running. 3rd and 10

What's LIKELY to happen on a run? 2-4 yard carry. The play came after a TO, the Jets had a chance to catch their breath. I doubt ML would have trucked another one out. 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 1

What's LIKELY to happen on a pass? Incomplete pass- 3rd and 5. Completion: 1st Down

What's the BEST that could happen on a run? We break it for a 10+ yard gain.

What's the BEST that could happen on a pass? We break it for a 20+ yard gain.

Are you saying that Dick threw his other 52 players and staff under the bus so that he could guarantee ruin on Losman's career?

No. He empowered JPL to make a play and LEAD. JPL let his 52 players down. Dick had every ounce of confidence that he would makle the play and LEAD... Be a hero. I know if I was a QB, I would want to do it myself... Throw the ball... Maybe run it myself from THE GET GO... LEAD... Who wants to hand off?

People JPL is leaving after this year.

Dick was trying to help JPL... Too bad JPL hurt himself.

YES!

Question: Did you actually watch the game? Cause if you did, you would know that JP was AWFUL in this game. He was throwing 3 feet high to wide open guys ten yards away from him. Putting the ball in his hands unnecessarily with the game on the line was a BAD, BAD call.

If you had a top flight QB and/or a terrible running game? Maybe. But you have a RB who is KILLING a tired defense for more than six yards per carry and you have a completely inept QB. Understanding your personnel is part of the 'context of the game'.

I did watch the game. And JP looked horrible up UNTIL the drive prior to the breakdown.

What's the worst that happens on a run? We fumble and it gets returned for a TD.

What's the worst that could happen on a pass? We fumble/throw a pick and it gets returned for a TD.

What's the next worst thing that could happen on a run? We get stuffed. 3rd and 5

What's the next worst thing to happen on a pass? Sack, loss of yards, clock still running. 3rd and 10

What's LIKELY to happen on a run? 2-4 yard carry. The play came after a TO, the Jets had a chance to catch their breath. I doubt ML would have trucked another one out. 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 1

What's LIKELY to happen on a pass? Incomplete pass- 3rd and 5. Completion: 1st Down

But you don't want a big pass play there. In fact, that's the last thing you need. You just need to run time off the clock and get a first down. Running and only getting 3 yards would have been great there. 3rd and 2 is a great down to have with 2 minutes left. One more short run and that game is all but over.

Seems like that is what he's saying, which has to be total nonsense. Does anyone really think DJ was thinking of JP's future, on that call? Seriously?

Yes!

I want to build great leaders... Even if they eventually do not lead for me. You think that is what DJ is all about? No?

Call DJ and I a maroon, naive, or whatever all you want. That is how you separate the wheat from the chaff.

You pay the RB to run the ball, not the QB...at least on this team. The o-line had softened up the middle of the line. How does a roll-out work take advantage of that? Who is more likely to fumble if hit, Marshawn or JP?

Only an idiot doesn't take into consideration who is playing well and who isn't. Who has sure hands and who doesn't. What is to be gained, and what isn't. I can't see Belicheat sending Brady on that play, if they were tearing up the middle of the line on rushing plays. What do you think Dungy would do if Addai was tearing it up inside...send Peyton on a rollout? And those guys hold on to the ball.

I'm not suggesting that JP is blameless here. But, it should have never been an issue. RUN THE BALL, when you are ahead and trying to run out the clock...especially when you are getting 4+ yards a pop on every run.

It was a bad play because there was no need to pass when the Jets could not stop the run. That too complex for you?

Who said JPL actually had to pass? It was a freaking roll-out... There is wiggle room there. One should have the awareness that the play may have gone south from the get go... Tuck the ball, protect it and dig it out.

But you don't want a big pass play there. In fact, that's the last thing you need. You just need to run time off the clock and get a first down. Running and only getting 3 yards would have been great there. 3rd and 2 is a great down to have with 2 minutes left. One more short run and that game is all but over.

My point was- unless you plan for the ABSOLUTE worst case scenario, the play call has considerably more upside. Just executing the play alone (hitting Fine rolling out) and we pick up 12 yards. That's not a huge gain, like you mention, but instead puts us at the 39, one first down from NYJ territory.

I just watched the play a couple times in slow mo. Low and behold- just like every other costly sack turned fumble- the guy who made the hit came right off Jason Ole Peters. Just sayin'.

Who said JPL actually had to pass? It was a freaking roll-out... There is wiggle room there. One should have the awareness that the play may have gone south from the get go... Tuck the ball, protect it and dig it out.

Or hand it to the sure handed RB, who has bashed through the middle of the line for repeated 4+ yard gains. Rolling out works against the momentum they had with the offensive line driving the D-line backward.

My point was- unless you plan for the ABSOLUTE worst case scenario, the play call has considerably more upside.

What upside? The best possible scenario is the Bills get a 1st down on 3rd and short, and keep the clock moving. There was simply NO upside to the play.

Or hand it to the sure handed RB, who has bashed through the middle of the line for repeated 4+ yard gains. Rolling out works against the momentum they had with the offensive line driving the D-line backward.

Well, where was this drive on that play then? If we were truly man-handling the DLine then they don't get that penetration. If they are in fact gasping for air, like you say, then what does it for our OL? What does it say for Peters that it was a DB- a guy half his size- that blew right passed him, untouched en route to JP? Peters couldn't even be bothered to chip the guy.

Are you suggesting the OL just DECIDED to stop dominating on that play? Or that their DLine suddenly looked tight again because we didn't hand it to Marshawn?

Well, where was this drive on that play then? If we were truly man-handling the DLine then they don't get that penetration. If they are in fact gasping for air, like you say, then what does it for our OL? What does it say for Peters that it was a DB- a guy half his size- that blew right passed him, untouched en route to JP? Peters couldn't even be bothered to chip the guy.

Are you suggesting the OL just DECIDED to stop dominating on that play? Or that their DLine suddenly looked tight again because we didn't hand it to Marshawn?

Why should the DB even be in the equation? You are blasting away at the D-LINE. That's the unit you have worn down. A rollout simply gives the LBs and DBs a chance to make a play. They should be irrelevant in that drive. Why ask the O-Line to rollout, when simply driving forward is working perfectly well. That's what you are looking for, at this stage in the game. They looked a gift horse in the mouth.

You pay the RB to run the ball, not the QB...at least on this team. The o-line had softened up the middle of the line. How does a roll-out work take advantage of that? Who is more likely to fumble if hit, Marshawn or JP?

Only an idiot doesn't take into consideration who is playing well and who isn't. Who has sure hands and who doesn't. What is to be gained, and what isn't. I can't see Belicheat sending Brady on that play, if they were tearing up the middle of the line on rushing plays. What do you think Dungy would do if Addai was tearing it up inside...send Peyton on a rollout? And those guys hold on to the ball.

I'm not suggesting that JP is blameless here. But, it should have never been an issue. RUN THE BALL, when you are ahead and trying to run out the clock...especially when you are getting 4+ yards a pop on every run.

have to totally agree <_<

Anything OTHER then another run is a stupid play call...when all you need to do is run out the clock ...a roll out pass play is monumentally stupid :wallbash:

Why should the DB even be in the equation? You are blasting away at the D-LINE. That's the unit you have worn down. A rollout simply gives the LBs and DBs a chance to make a play. They should be irrelevant in that drive. Why ask the O-Line to rollout, when simply driving forward is working perfectly well. That's what you are looking for, at this stage in the game. They looked a gift horse in the mouth.

You need to rewatch the play. Run or pass, Elam would have been in the backfield for the stop. He runs RIGHT BY Peters.

YES!

A coach can't think that way... You are there to do a job and especailly a QB... Follow the orders and get it done anyway possible... AND DON'T LOSE the ball.

Every ounce of trust must be given to your men to carry out the task... And no play should be off limits because of soomeone's past performance... And if that is the case, they don't belong on the team and especailly not leading.

The order was called and that's that. If I was DJ... I would have looked him squarely in the eye and ask: "Can you do it?" "Well then, get the hell out there and DO IT."

Nobody has answered what was up with the Bills calling time out at 2:06? Man was that a morale booster for the Jets!

Lynch averaged 6 yards a carry today. Losman averaged 4 yards per attempt. Only a moron would argue that passing in this situation was the right play.

To take it a step further, after 14 games this team lacks an offensive identity. You would think that with two bruising runners, and a huge offensive line, this should be a running team.

Yet every opportunity that this team has a chance to establish that power game mentality, inside the five, on third and short, protecting a lead, this coaching staff has put the game in the hands of their inexperienced and incompetent quarterbacks.

Letting Lynch and the offensive line close out that game would have been huge for Lynch, especially since he took the blame for the Miami disaster.

This has to be the biggest failure of the coaching staff, the inability to develop a strength in the offense and develop it throughout the season, and the failure in recognizing who the true leaders are on this team and rewarding them.

A coach can't think that way... You are there to do a job and especailly a QB... Follow the orders and get it done anyway possible... AND DON'T LOSE the ball.

Every ounce of trust must be given to your men to carry out the task... And no play should be off limits because of soomeone's past performance... And if that is the case, they don't belong on the team and especailly not leading.

The order was called and that's that. If I was DJ... I would have looked him squarely in the eye and ask: "Can you do it?" "Well then, get the hell out there and DO IT."

Nobody has answered what was up with the Bills calling time out at 2:06? Man was that a morale booster for the Jets!

The Jets called that time out.

Lynch averaged 6 yards a carry today. Losman averaged 4 yards per attempt. Only a moron would argue that passing in this situation was the right play.

To take it a step further, after 14 games this team lacks an offensive identity. You would think that with two bruising runners, and a huge offensive line, this should be a running team.

Yet every opportunity that this team has a chance to establish that power game mentality, inside the five, on third and short, protecting a lead, this coaching staff has put the game in the hands of their inexperienced and incompetent quarterbacks.

Letting Lynch and the offensive line close out that game would have been huge for Lynch, especially since he took the blame for the Miami disaster.

This has to be the biggest failure of the coaching staff, the inability to develop a strength in the offense and develop it throughout the season, and the failure in recognizing who the true leaders are on this team and rewarding them.

Right before the play, the announcer comments that the Jets were stacked against the run. A run would have been fruitless, in this scenario. Yes, Lynch averaged 6 yards a carry and broke a few big ones, but he had a few clunkers in there also. A run on that play would have been a clunker.

The PA at least had a chance for the first down- all it took was EXECUTION.

To take it a step further, after 14 games 3 years this team lacks an offensive identity. You would think that with two bruising runners, and a huge offensive line, this should be a running team.

Perhaps the greatest problem on the team, right there. I agree with you completely. We finally just line up and blow guys off the line and have a good run game. So, they abandon that the first chance they get. Not a singly pass attempt more than 15 yards past the LOS. Horrible.

Nope. A rollout should take more than 6 seconds off the clock and take you under the 2... I agree with Big Cat...

I knew the Bills were done when THEY had to take a timeout before the 2... <_<

We just agree to disagree I guess.

How come Jauron couldn't make that same request of Lynch. Who's the real leader on that offense, Lynch or Losman?

Losman is a whiney B word. Lynch took the blame against Miami when he didn't have to. Lynch and Jackson are the leaders on the offense, and Jauron and Schonert continually play away from them.

You don't become a power running team by taking the ball out of your bruising RBs' hands in key situations.

Losman is nothing more than a cog for this team. His job is not to make mistakes. He's not the guy you trust in the clutch because he has failed there too many times before. It should be Lynch's job to win the game.

Only idiots like Jauron and Schonert don't realize this.

You need to rewatch the play. Run or pass, Elam would have been in the backfield for the stop. He runs RIGHT BY Peters.

So what,and on third down they run again...even if they get no gain they can still punt the ball away with less then a minute to go the Jets get the ball on their 45 and would need A FG to tie and a TD to win.

Throwing the ball when you need to run out the clock is simply moronic.

So what,and on third down they run again...even if they get no gain they can still punt the ball away with less then a minute to go the Jets get the ball on their 45 and would need A FG to tie and a TD to win.

Throwing the ball when you need to run out the clock is simply moronic.

Yeah and if that's the case then I'm stuck trying to quell all the anti-Jauron shills who came here to piss and moan about him coaching "not-to-lose."

C'mon. Give Favre a chance to get the three points he needs to force OT at home? You don't see the chaos THAT would have caused around here?

The blocking for a run and a rollout is completely different.

Right before the play, the announcer comments that the Jets were stacked against the run. A run would have been fruitless, in this scenario. Yes, Lynch averaged 6 yards a carry and broke a few big ones, but he had a few clunkers in there also. A run on that play would have been a clunker.

So the Jets weren't stacked against the run the previous nine runs when the Bills average 6 yards a carry?

Sure they were stacked, but the Bills were in Joe-Gibbs and Bill-Parcells nirvana, having run down the Jets defense through the fourth quarter.

This is what running teams do, wear out the defense so it doesn't matter if the defense is stacked or not.

I know this, I'd rather trust Lynch or Jackson with their 2nd-effort running against a tired, stack defensive line than Losman on ANY type of pass play in that situation.

I believe that with the way that Lynch played, he deserved the opportunity to run the ball on SECOND and five. (It's not like they were running on a passing down.)

Bottom line, stupid play call by a stupid coaching staff. It's amazing how much time people waste defending poor players (Losman the last four years) and poor coaches.

Well, then for the record, you'll say you would have been fine with watching the RB run head on into the wall of 10 defenders standing within 3 yards of the LOS?

This is one reason I did not think the call was idiotic, though neither would a run call have been.

One concrete advantage of the rollout call is that, if you get the first down here, you have that many more plays in which to run out the clock, giving the Jets no time to score even if they get the ball back.

Well, then for the record, you'll say you would have been fine with watching the RB run head on into the wall of 10 defenders standing within 3 yards of the LOS?

3-4 yards minimum. The D had been stacked against the run for several plays. If you NEED to rollout, run a sweep with Lynch or Jackson, but that still works against the weakness of the D, at the time. A pass is simply stupid, and your RBs are better at running than the QB.

NO EXCUSE for that call, IMO. Wrong on every level.

In that particular situation the primary objective is holding on to the ball!!! The secondary objective is to run the clock!!! The third objective is to make a first down.

It was SECOND DOWN and FIVE. you never throw the ball when you have 2 downs to make a first down and want to run out the clock, even if both fail you can still punt it away..

A coach can't think that way... ... And no play should be off limits because of soomeone's past performance...

Huh? A coach can't think "my QB is terrible but the other guys can't stop my rushing attack"? <_<

And if that is the case, they don't belong on the team and especailly not leading.

And by the time we got to the 4Q today, was there anyone left who thought that JP still belonged on this team, or in the NFL?

If this was anyone but you, I'd presume this was a goof.