Life may not be so different in other NFL cities

BuffaloBill

Sage, I am not buying this argument. I say there is one, maybe two teams worse than us right now. I think KC and St Louis are about it in the"they are worse than us department". Do not let those 6 wins fool you, they were the mirage. This 1-7 skid is the real Bills

get real detroit would lose to the ub bulls. cinncinatti is pitiful. clev,jacksonville,oaklans,sf and seattle are all worse than us wins in this league are never a mirage.there are also several teams with similar records as ours that are no better than us.

injuries unfortunately again this year have killed us and losing schobel has absolutely killed us. losing crowell,youboty and schobel and mcgee reed trent and greer for extended periods killed us.

dont believe me ross tucker marty schottenheimer and jim miller all said on Sirius last week that schobels loss absolutely killed us citing him as our best player. your comments are way out of line and unfounded.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

injuries unfortunately again this year have killed us and losing schobel has absolutely killed us. losing crowell,youboty and schobel and mcgee reed trent and greer for extended periods killed us.

dont believe me ross tucker marty schottenheimer and jim miller all said on Sirius last week that schobels loss absolutely killed us citing him as our best player. your comments are way out of line and unfounded.

Problem is that injuries happen in this league - last year the Colts lost Freeney and they did not have a meltdown for example. Perhaps what you point correctly out is that the Bills talent pool has razor thin depth.

At the same time it is the front office's decision to not bring in an experienced back-up qb and cut JP loose (which they should have done for the benefit of the club and JP), the coaching staff let Will James (experienced CB depth) go they could have practice squad listed Reggie Corner for as much as he has shown this year and WR depth has been woefully inadequate for years (I've said many times before that Roscoe Parrish is a helluva punt returner but is a joke as a wide receiver - stats show that few rookie wr's make an immediate impact).

This is the most distressing part of the situation as I believe there are arguments either way. One, depends on whether Trent Edwards is really an NFL QB. At times he has shown the ability but too often he has shown the other. Two, I've come around to the idea that even if DJ remains at head coach (I believe Ralph gives him one more season) we must have a new offensive coordinator. Three, I believe we are close on defense - need better DE and linbacker depth.

The problem with all of the above is the if Trent Edwards is not an NFL QB we have no depth and no other answers. A new OC has little to work with. I believe Lee Evans is probably a good #2 but not a guy that can carry the load and TE situation is abysmal. O-line - we must find a center. Problem is that I am not sure how all of this gets addressed in one off season.

our o/line is no way abysmal. our center position is. its very hard for our 2 guards and 2 tackles to play without a center. we have not had a quality NFL caliber center for 4 years. IMO center is our #1 priority this off season and if we get one (the kid from cal God willing) then you watch how dominating our line has a chance to be.

there is no way in hell a o/line can be dominant if you are weak up the middle and our 2 centers are not weak but absolutely pitiful. facing 3/4 teams 6 times a year in our division alone without a center is absolutely killing us and until we find a competent center we are doomed.

in regards to trent if the new york giant fans had their way last year eli would have been run out of town. its common knowledge with young NFL QB's that you have to take your licks with them and most of all let them play and learn on the job there is no other way.

bill walsh knows quarterbacks and he absolutely loved edwards thats good enough for me and no message board arm chair coaches are going to convince me otherwise.

Great post BuffaloBill. Great points about how other fans are feeling and what it takes to build a quality team.

i think we can all agree that none of us are happy about this season, and most of us are incredibly frustrated.... but that is part of being a sports fan.

every year, only 37% of the league makes the playoffs. of that, only 1 team wins it all. the fans of every other team are left pissed off and wanting more.

yes, it would be great to be consistent and consistently competitive. yes, it would be great to make the playoffs. yes, it is increasingly frustrating watching the franchise fall apart in the same ways every year.

as unhappy as i am with the coaching staff and some of their gameday decisions, i also realize that blowing the entire thing up and starting over only guarantees us 3 more years of this.

Miami "turned it around in one year". Yeah, from 1-15, turning it around isnt that hard to do. They still havent made the playoffs yet.

there are plenty of teams worse than the Bills this year (and every year).

bill walsh knows quarterbacks and he absolutely loved edwards thats good enough for me and no message board arm chair coaches are going to convince me otherwise.

Read Marv's book. Bill Walsh also absolutely loved Steve Fuller. He wanted to draft him in the first round. Only problem was Marv beat him to it. Instead, he settled for a guy from Notre Dame. Steve Fuller washed out in KC and was gone in a couple of years. He did win a Super Bowl though as a backup with the '85 Bears.

So he may know QBs, but he's certainly not 100%. You may be willing to go down with the USS Walsh, but I'm not. Get us a real QB for '09.

Ticket sales are a relatively small part of league revenue. The TV contract is what makes the NFL go. Luxury Suite sales are what seperate the haves from the have nots, as that revenue is not shared. Everything else is. The Bills are leaving Buffalo when Wilson dies as a bid from any other city will beat whatever a Buffalo based bid would be.

Browns problems likely tied to Anderson going from probowl QB to horrible QB, bad coaching and star players attracting negative attention.

1.see TE in relation to Anderson(after TE concussion)...

2.bad coaching?? they changed coaches from last year??

3.star players attracting negative attention is overrated as far as hurting a team.

I've been saying it for years. Build your lines and the rest kind of falls into place.

Absolutely.Build teams from the inside out.Not the way we have been doing it.

By the way--which DBs and WRs do you think the Bills have in mind for the 12th pick next year?

Great post BuffaloBill. Great points about how other fans are feeling and what it takes to build a quality team.

i think we can all agree that none of us are happy about this season, and most of us are incredibly frustrated.... but that is part of being a sports fan.

every year, only 37% of the league makes the playoffs. of that, only 1 team wins it all. the fans of every other team are left pissed off and wanting more.

yes, it would be great to be consistent and consistently competitive. yes, it would be great to make the playoffs. yes, it is increasingly frustrating watching the franchise fall apart in the same ways every year.

as unhappy as i am with the coaching staff and some of their gameday decisions, i also realize that blowing the entire thing up and starting over only guarantees us 3 more years of this.

Miami "turned it around in one year". Yeah, from 1-15, turning it around isnt that hard to do. They still havent made the playoffs yet.

there are plenty of teams worse than the Bills this year (and every year).

Thanks for the thought. Let's hope for a Miami turnaround but keep in mind their coaching staff and front office changed completely. Say what you want about Parcells - he knows how to pick talent - I actually think his weakness is in coaching as he does not relate to younger players.

Ths year, how many teams have started 5-1 and then lost 6 of the next 7 games and looked absolutely LOST doing it? At 5-1, just about everyone had the Bills winning the AFC East. They will most likely end up 6-10 after starting 5-1. At least the Lions and Bengals have looked putrid from the start. How can anyone explain or justify this monumental belly flop?

I can explain the belly flop. It started against the now NFC West division winner the Arizona Cardinals. If Trent does not go down with that concusion in the first, could things have been different?!? The Bills did benefit from the bye and the unpreditable Chargers but the belly flop was on. Ironically, Arizona is where Tony Romo suffers his broken pinky. The games that the Cowboys lost afterwards may cost them the playoffs.

no life would be better and more satisfying to be an NFL fan in any other city... EXCEPT detroit. they are the ONLY fans who have it worse than us.

Really? 18 losing seasons out of 19. One playoff appearance and that was a loss in the first round. Give me Buffalo over the Bungles any day.

Really? 18 losing seasons out of 19. One playoff appearance and that was a loss in the first round. Give me Buffalo over the Bungles any day.

YES. REALLY. Thats one more playoff game than we have had in recent times. They were showing promise and potential before they imploded and half the team is in the klink.

Sure they are the bungles.... but guess what?.... we have become the 'ILLS....

get real detroit would lose to the ub bulls. cinncinatti is pitiful. clev,jacksonville,oaklans,sf and seattle are all worse than us wins in this league are never a mirage.there are also several teams with similar records as ours that are no better than us.

Like I said, I am not going by record alone. I am going by how the Bills have been performing the last 9 weeks. I do not think that a 9 week sample is small by any measue. Also, it was not like the Bills have not needed each and eveey one of those wins for the playoffs, so I cannot believe motivation was an issue. But their record is 2-7 in the last nine games, with two of those losses being to Cleveland and San Fran at home (when their seasons were over form a playoff perspective) and we were fighting for our playoff lives. Maybe I agree to the other ones, but to say we are better than San Fran or Cleveland in light of those facts, to me, is letting that 4-0 start get the better of us. 3 of those 4 wins came agaisn't teams you have listed as dregs of the leagues , and the 4th came agaisn't a 2 win team.

no life would be better and more satisfying to be an NFL fan in any other city... EXCEPT detroit. they are the ONLY fans who have it worse than us.

The Vikings may be as pathetic as the Bills. While the Cardinals show some promise this year historically they have outright sucked.

Why? There are plenty of teams worse than us right now, and we are far from being the only team to never win a superbowl. What makes us so special?

Name the teams that at this point the Bills could beat consistently on a neutral field. Good luck finding more than two or three.