favorite christmas songs

NicholasCal1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Christmas Song, by Nat King Cole is #1 in my book.

Just about anything from the greatest Christmas album ever, IMO, is pretty good, too. That album is Sing We Now of Christmas by the Harry Simeone Chorale. The cover looked like this:

http://www.bsnpubs.com/fox/fox3002.jpg

It was later retitled The Little Drummer Boy (in the early 60's I guess). Now, there are several different recording with the same name (Little Drummer Boy) also by Harry Simeone Chorale...so you have to be careful to make sure the song line up is:

1. Medley: Sing We Now of Christmas / Angels We Have Heard On High / Away In A Manger / What Child Is

2. Go Tell It on the Mountain - Harry Simeone, Traditional

3. Medley: It Came Upon A Midnight Clear / Good King Wenceslas / We Three Kings / Villancico / Hark, T

4. Medley: Bring A Torch, Jeanette, Isabella / Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming

5. Medley: Deck The Halls / Christian Men Rejoice / Master's In The Hall / O Tannenbaum

6. O' Holy Night

7. The Little Drummer Boy - Harry Simeone, Davis, Katherine

8. Medley: Coventry Carol / Rise Up Shepherds / God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen / O Little Town Of Bethleh

9. Medley: Ding Dong / While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night / The First Noel / The Friendly B

10. Medley: Silent Night / Adeste Fideles / A Christmas Greeting

This looks to be it:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Little-Drummer-B...1017&sr=1-1

The comments are very positive, for whatever that is worth.

I do... B-) I hate Sinatra and all the other Rat Packers... The only one I like is Dean... He had it all over the others.

I have a soft spot for his voice.

Dino is, by far, the best and most underrated of the Pack, IMO. Don't get me wrong, I like Sinatra just fine, but Dean Martin was a triple threat, as he also had comedy.

I should have added, to my earlier post, Winter Wonderland...a terrific song.

Also, the South Park Christmas stuff is simply brilliant, IMO.

Dino is, by far, the best and most underrated of the Pack, IMO. Don't get me wrong, I like Sinatra just fine, but Dean Martin was a triple threat, as he also had comedy.

I should have added, to my earlier post, Winter Wonderland...a terrific song.

Also, the South Park Christmas stuff is simply brilliant, IMO.

I totally agree on your take about Dean and Winter Wonderland... I just never warmed up to Sinatra... Thought he was way over the top... Dean Martin, IMO, had a more down to earth quality.

I find his Making Spirits Bright release is always playing during the holidays. I also find his Sleep Warm (not Christmas... But a "Winter Feel") in the player a lot too... I know, I know that it was more of a "Sinatra feel", even worked on with Sinatra... I think Dean pulls off "Sinatra" better than Sinatra! His voice to me is more sincere along with his adlibs... I just don't get that over the top "hokey feel"... B-)

Hit the Road to Dreamland is one of my favorites on that compliation...

Also, Phuck what Steely sez! What does he know! :lol:

Well i guess that makes sense.... in a really twisted way

Merry B-) Christmas Dan! :lol:

Look, why are you even arguing about this? Twisted? Man, you're reaching for any way you can to make this seems insincere. I'd be offering you a "gift" and forgive me if I become offended by your lack of appreciation. Would you like an arrow or maybe hatchet or a chain saw? I'll get you whatever you prefer.

Whiner. :lol:

I totally agree on your take about Dean and Winter Wonderland... I just never warmed up to Sinatra... Thought he was way over the top... Dean Martin, IMO, had a more down to earth quality.

I find his Making Spirits Bright release is always playing during the holidays. I also find his Sleep Warm (not Christmas... But a "Winter Feel") in the player a lot too... I know, I know that it was more of a "Sinatra feel", even worked on with Sinatra... I think Dean pulls off "Sinatra" better than Sinatra! His voice to me is more sincere along with his adlibs... I just don't get that over the top "hokey feel"... :lol:

Hit the Road to Dreamland is one of my favorites on that compliation...

Also, Phuck what Steely sez! What does he know! :lol:

I know you smell like a burning tire pile! :lol:

i thought christmas was suposed to be joyous not depressing.

What can I say? The season isn't joyous for everyone. At a time when people get together, it can remind you of those who aren't with you anymore. My grandfather (96, but expected) and my dog (my best friend and even with his age, it was a total shock) passed away about a week apart this summer and I'm still getting weepy when I think about it too much or see something that reminds me of him. Still have noseprints all over the basement door glass that I just can't bring myself to wipe away. I will miss our Christmas morning walk (we live in the sticks and usually just let him out the door and clapped him back and, boy, he'd come running). Just having a hard time adjusting, but it's one foot in front of the other. Pretending that the holidays are only happy is fake. Sometimes it's about lost happiness and where you need to remember the good times. In this vein:

Otherwise, there's the old classics everyone goes back to --- Crosby, et al. Also, I really lament now that I lost/threw out(?) the 'language lab' cassette tape recordings we'd have to do for French class back in high school. For the session nearest the Christmas break, the teacher would sing some traditional French carols (Belle Nuit, Sainte Nuit; Minuit Chretians; etc.) that we'd have to listen to. She certainly was a tough grader but she had a great voice.

Songs I can't stand:

Feliz Navidad. This song is played on the radio constantly, and it's the same lyrics over and over and over and over and over and over again. :P

Santa, Baby. This song is wrong on all levels. :P

Seconded for both. That Mariah Carey "All I Want For Christmas Is You" one gets old pretty quick too, and you hear it ~ 5 times a day (try telling me payola isn't alive and well). Commercial radio gets pretty aggravating after about a week. And now, they have to start playing it the day after Thanksgiving b/c the same people who own the stations owns the stores. I'm listening to those stations selectively and in small doses.

Just look up Last Christmas on youtube. I don't want Puhonix to gun me down. :P:P

Grrrr.....

You know, I keep forgetting this, but Nat King Cole probably made the best Christmas songs, and sang O tanenbaum in the original German.

I'm not a ratpack hater in anyway, but Nat needs to get more props.