Marty Schottenheimer, Mike Sherman ...??

Chuckknox

Both have strong winning records.

Both would be an upgrade...I prefer Billick over both of these guys to be honest. Say what you want about that Balt D during the Super Bowl run, but the guy still won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer who actually had good games in the AFC championship game and Super Bowl.

My wish list would look like this next year...

1. Cowher

2. (Tie) Billick or Mariucci

3. Schottenheimer

Cowher is a long shot...he will have his pick of teams. However, out of the teams looking for a HC next year, we may be the most talented at this point. So who knows...

Personally, I would love to see us grab Billick or Mariucci...

Both would be an upgrade...I prefer Billick over both of these guys to be honest. Say what you want about that Balt D during the Super Bowl run, but the guy still won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer who actually had good games in the AFC championship game and Super Bowl.

My wish list would look like this next year...

1. Cowher

2. (Tie) Billick or Mariucci

3. Schottenheimer

Cowher is a long shot...he will have his pick of teams. However, out of the teams looking for a HC next year, we may be the most talented at this point. So who knows...

Personally, I would love to see us grab Billick or Mariucci...

I would also add Andy Reid to this list if he gets fired...

I would also add Andy Reid to this list if he gets fired...

I think John Fox's contract is up. I'd love to see him here. He has a pretty blue collar style. He then could possibly convince Delhomme to come here for 1-2 years. I'd prefer McNabb but I'd take Delhomme.

In an ideal world, Fox is let go. Cowher ends up coaching Panthers (he lives in NC) and then Fox comes here.

As for Cleveland, I see them then making a run at Mariucci.

C

First of all, we're not in a head-coaching search yet. We may very well be after December 28th (and I'm one of the many willing to entertain a change there), but we don't know that right now.

Second, all of these coaches - Sherman, Cowher, Mariucci, Billick - would very likely want a lot of power on personnel. Jauron has this right now and historically, coaches who also hold the GM title don't fare very well on the field. Usually, their teams underachieve.

Schottenheimer may or may not want this power, but we should be very careful of handing the keys to guys that want it.

Cost too much? I don't know much about Ralph's finances, but he would seem to be flush in cash from all the Toronto money.

Also, Marty would probably take us into the playoffs. This is what he does. Jauron will lose games and fail miserably. This is what he does. It would seem to me that a playoff trip or 2 would be easily worth the investment.

Instead, look for Marv Levy to coach the team in 09. I think that this is a strong, sad possibility.

First of all, we're not in a head-coaching search yet. We may very well be after December 28th (and I'm one of the many willing to entertain a change there), but we don't know that right now.

Second, all of these coaches - Sherman, Cowher, Mariucci, Billick - would very likely want a lot of power on personnel. Jauron has this right now and historically, coaches who also hold the GM title don't fare very well on the field. Usually, their teams underachieve.

Schottenheimer may or may not want this power, but we should be very careful of handing the keys to guys that want it.

We're not on the market for a coach. Face it, fellas.

We're just as likely to recruit the corpse of Vince Lombardi to take over as we are to bring in Cowher, Billick, or any other names that are thrown out nonstop.

I can't believe someone would suggest Martyball. Sherman is coaching A&M for a reason.

Before we look at the coaches we need to look at the execution of the players. Missed field goals, bad penalties, and dropped balls fall at the feet of the guys on the field. Execution of less than 6 plays decided the outcome of the last two losses. Had we won those we would not be having this conversation.

I can't believe someone would suggest Martyball. Sherman is coaching A&M for a reason.

Before we look at the coaches we need to look at the execution of the players. Missed field goals, bad penalties, and dropped balls fall at the feet of the guys on the field. Execution of less than 6 plays decided the outcome of the last two losses. Had we won those we would not be having this conversation.

Careful now, it's popular opinion these days that all the examples you gave are, in fact, the result of poor coaching. :huh:

Sherman is losing as a HC in college and was made by Favre. Schottenheimer can get your team to the playoffs, but they'll never get far in them. Reid has too much power in Philly and will likely want it again wherever he goes, but needs to take time away from the game to concentrate on his rapidly-expanding waist-line and his troubled boys.

I'd love to go after Spagnuolo, and then Billick as a consolation prize.

Sherman is losing as a HC in college and was made by Favre. Schottenheimer can get your team to the playoffs, but they'll never get far in them. Reid has too much power in Philly and will likely want it again wherever he goes, but needs to take time away from the game to concentrate on his rapidly-expanding waist-line and his troubled boys.

I'd love to go after Spagnuolo, and then Billick as a consolation prize.

A guy who coaches phsyical football?!? Do the Bills remember what that even is? Spags would be my 2nd choice. Personally I'd like Schottenheimer. Sure his teams haven't won playoff games. At least they're competative and get there. Can the Bills say that? At this point I'll take the prospect of playoff games, over no playoff games at all. Spags would be a close 2nd. Billick? The guy can't develop qb's. They get rid of him, and all of a sudden Joe Flacco looks to be the long term answer.

Both have strong winning records.

Shottenheimer is 65 years old. Decade after decade of dealing with youngsters, then with the change from want-to-win-pro players to a scene with minor players cashing in for millions, most looking for a posse, bling, and advertising bucks, and all behind their union skirts, rolling in multiple millions. Acting like infants.

Add in owners that rollick in a 32 team biz without fear of a free market.

Why would Marty care to raise his blood pressure at his age to get back into this goofy show business? :huh:

I think John Fox's contract is up. I'd love to see him here. He has a pretty blue collar style. He then could possibly convince Delhomme to come here for 1-2 years. I'd prefer McNabb but I'd take Delhomme.

In an ideal world, Fox is let go. Cowher ends up coaching Panthers (he lives in NC) and then Fox comes here.

C

Fox will not be let go in Carolina...Jerry Richardson is ULTRA loyal and The Panthers are 9-3 right now...The only reason they struggled last season was due to Delhomme going down...He's back and anyone who questioned Fox's Coaching abilities was stupid anyway...I'd LOVE to see Him in Buffalo as well, but we had Our chance and blew it with Him years ago...He'll be in Carolina for many Years to come...:huh:

A guy who coaches phsyical football?!? Do the Bills remember what that even is? Spags would be my 2nd choice. Personally I'd like Schottenheimer. Sure his teams haven't won playoff games. At least they're competative and get there. Can the Bills say that? At this point I'll take the prospect of playoff games, over no playoff games at all. Spags would be a close 2nd. Billick? The guy can't develop qb's. They get rid of him, and all of a sudden Joe Flacco looks to be the long term answer.

Not really fair to say he cant develop QB's...he hasnt had much to work with and the only real development he had in Balt was Boller who just doesnt have the talent to develop.

I mean he turned Trent into a Super Bowl QB when he couldnt even complete a screen pass before he got to Balt. In fact, his early years in TB were some of the worst QB play I have ever seen. So, if he can salvage a bum into a Super Bowl winner, to me that says something. And I dont care how good your D is, you still need solid QB play to win the Super Bowl and that is what he got out of Trent.

Look what he did with a washed up Cunningham, Jeff George and young Culpepper in Minn. He gets the most out of his QB's, he just hasnt had many QB's since then to get anything out of. Balt didnt really draft any QB's after they got Boller who just doesnt have the talent to be a starter in this league. Lets not also forget, they pretty much have had very little talent at WR during his reign as HC in Balt too...

If you're looking to merely improve on the Bills' current situation, i.e. getting to the playoffs, then yes Schottenheimer is your man. However I want more than just that, so Spags would be who I'd want.

No, before we look at the players, we need to look at the results of Dick Jauron's 8 year HC career. To avoid his 7th losing season in that span, he needs to win 2 games against teams with winning records in the final 4 weeks. Twice as many as he's won in the past 3 seasons combined.

There are times when it's wrong to blame a coach. This is not one of them.

Jauron is a bottom feeder. He gets his few wins at the expense of other bad teams by advocating a style of football that is effective against teams that are willing to take risks in the belief that it will make them better in the long run. Jauron's style is effective in that respect, but not conducive to improvement. That's why he can beat a GB and Jacksonville in 2006 while they are taking chances to get better, yet not even sniff the playoffs the next season when they are playing in their respective league championship games. Last year, they won a total of 5 games against Washington, Miami and NYJ. Where are THEY now.

The conversation may be new to you, but Jauron's utter lack of production is OLD news.

C

McNabb? The Bills have been the butt of S.B. jokes for years. All we need is a Q.B. that barfs when he gets in one.

Execution comes with being prepared in practice. When almost every player cant execute it equals one thing...poor coaching. I cant believe people dont know this. Yeah lets punt at the 35 yard line. Or hey, lets call a time out when the other teams punter had the ball in his hands. I know, lets give the QB the play with 8 seconds left on the clock. Or even last weeks game where the coaching staff should be callin plays up the middle and telling marshawn to put the ball in the center of the field for a better FG chance. Instead sweeps to the left. Freakin clueless staff. Thats basic football 101 stuff folks. Dan Marino wouldnt be able to "execute" under those conditions. Get a grip Buckeye.