Duke Preston is starting to grow on me

Yes, I know he got taken to task in the three division games against superior NTs. However, I thought he adjusted pretty well against Rogers after struggling early in the Browns game -- and he was very good yesterday against an admittedly awful KC front four. I like the chemistry that appears to be developing between him and Trent. And I LOVED the got-your-back shove he put on Pollard after he hit Marshawn late. Also. maybe there was something to Butler having been out. Notice that the team hasn't given up a sack in the last two weeks, since Butler returned.

For those that don't hold too hard to their initial opinions and realize that players can improve, you can see he has. He is not ideal but I really like his passion this season and he has outplayed Fowler at the position and holds his ground with leverage a lot better than he used to. Most, even all pro centers often need help with the really good 3-4 NT's. Duke seems to really care and it shows in his play on the field.

He's been playing very good. And good this whole season. People like to rag on him, but what do you expect from any center that is going up against Shaun Rogers, Kris Jenkins, Vince Wilfork, Jason Ferguson, and Jamaal Williams right over your face in consecutive weeks?

Sometimes, having a good game can simply mean not having a bad one. The fact that he didn't get completely blown up time after time is impressive. Did anyone see what Jamaal Williams did to Jeff Saturday, probably the best center in football, yesterday? Duke has held his own, and done a very, very good job.

He's been playing very good. And good this whole season. People like to rag on him, but what do you expect from any center that is going up against Shaun Rogers, Kris Jenkins, Vince Wilfork, Jason Ferguson, and Jamaal Williams right over your face in consecutive weeks?

Sometimes, having a good game can simply mean not having a bad one. The fact that he didn't get completely blown up time after time is impressive. Did anyone see what Jamaal Williams did to Jeff Saturday, probably the best center in football, yesterday? Duke has held his own, and done a very, very good job.

His big test, IMHO, will be the rematch round of division games. If he holds his own, maybe we have a center?

Yes, I know he got taken to task in the three division games against superior NTs. However, I thought he adjusted pretty well against Rogers after struggling early in the Browns game -- and he was very good yesterday against an admittedly awful KC front four. I like the chemistry that appears to be developing between him and Trent. And I LOVED the got-your-back shove he put on Pollard after he hit Marshawn late. Also. maybe there was something to Butler having been out. Notice that the team hasn't given up a sack in the last two weeks, since Butler returned.

You got it, bucko. Brad Butler consistently grades out as our best offensive lineman, but nobody (on this board anyway) ever seems to want to give him his due.

So let me get this straight, he has been getting DESTROYED by every solid DT/NT and he has a decent game against a bunch of crap and he is our center of the future? He's had 4 years to prove himself and he has...THAT HE IS NOTHING MORE THAN A BACKUP! Free agent after this year, see ya!

No one said he's been getting destroyed.

No one said he's been playing a bunch of crap.

No one said he's our center of the future.

Christ.

Butler is a solid pass protector, but doesn't fit a team with a power running philosophy. He just doesn't have that type of build for a guard. Not that we can consider the Bills a power running team anyways! :) I could live with Butler if we can find a Kevin Mawie type center (Alex Mack! :lol: ) in the draft.

[/b]

You got it, bucko. Brad Butler consistently grades out as our best offensive lineman, but nobody (on this board anyway) ever seems to want to give him his due.

Butler is playing well for a guy who is obviously injured. I for one have praised him for this time and again. In terms of his build, he is imo now more suited for OG, and is probably one of the strongest guys on the team (not saying that much).

Now, in terms of him grading out the highest of our linemen (not even sure exactly what this means), I am sorry, but that is silly. When a left tackle seals off the blindside and open holes for running backs, that is as good as it gets for OL play. That is why LTs make the big bucks as compared to RGs, or anybody else besides QBs.

People (not saying you) are wasting energy hating Peters for the dumb holdout. He is back, and he is playing very well now. Want to see the team fall apart? You think they are bad now? If Jason Peters gets hurt any time soon, we will be picking in the top 10 or 12 yet again.

No, but in this case it is. Sometimes you're just right about certain things. This is one of those instances. I'm sorry for not going into much detail, but a guards #1 ability should be to get a push in the run game, Butler does not.

He gets pretty good push (better than Dockery) and opens up holes pretty well, on top of being an awesome pass protector. I'm not saying he's jeebus risen, but I think 4th best O-lineman is taking it overboard.

The 3.4 and 5.3 doesn't tell the story. I read that article too. Teams overload the left side for one thing, and each side's success is not directly related to one guy. I agree Butler is a solid pass protector, but if you watch HIM, he hardly has ever pushed his guy back. Hey, it beats lining up Whittle or Preston at that spot but I just disagree about the whole Butler is the highest grading lineman statement.

For those that don't hold too hard to their initial opinions and realize that players can improve, you can see he has. He is not ideal but I really like his passion this season and he has outplayed Fowler at the position and holds his ground with leverage a lot better than he used to. Most, even all pro centers often need help with the really good 3-4 NT's. Duke seems to really care and it shows in his play on the field.

Couldnt anyone play better than FOWLER I have said for years the main problem with the line is the Center!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldnt anyone play better than FOWLER I have said for years the main problem with the line is the Center!!!!!!!!!!!

And you're right, it has been. All I'm pointing out is that the guy has really improved. He may still not be good enough to make it as a starter, but most people formulated their opinions on him 3 or 4 years ago and don't bother to notice. For the most part as I see it, players improve or even regress quite frequently in the league. What you know about last year doesn't necessarily mean you know what is to come this year from many of them.