Citi bailout

/dev/null

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Sir, we're going to need to see your ticket."

"!@#$ you! I own this damn ballpark!"

At work there are always people that comment on the many signs they see around the joint:

US Government Property No Tresspassing

They usually have the tone you expressed.

I say...

From Wiki answers:

Q: What does US Government Property No Trespassing mean?

A: It means keep out

<_<:oops:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/26/business...p;th&emc=th

WASHINGTON — The Federal Reserve and the Treasury announced $800 billion in new lending programs on Tuesday, sending a message that they would print as much money as needed to revive the nation’s crippled banking system.

The gargantuan efforts — one to finance loans for consumers, and a bigger one to push down home mortgage rates — were the latest but probably not the last of the federal government’s initiatives to absorb the shocks that began with losses on subprime mortgages and have spread to every corner of the economy.

:thumbdown:

Printing as much money as needed- That'll surely get us out of this mess. :thumbdown: Why didn't they think of this earlier! I'm just curious as to what the M3 number presently looks like. But we'll never know because the Fed won't let it out.

Trust me though...other countries are figuring this out and the futures so bright, I'm gonna need a flashlight! :wallbash:

Printing as much money as needed- That'll surely get us out of this mess. :thumbdown: Why didn't they think of this earlier! I'm just curious as to what the M3 number presently looks like. But we'll never know because the Fed won't let it out.

Trust me though...other countries are figuring this out and the futures so bright, I'm gonna need a flashlight! :wallbash:

You know, even though inflation should be skyrocketing, investors run to treasuries is probably stabilizing the value of the dollar.

Wow.....I hope some of you here don't have any money with Citi. Not because they are insolvent, but because their head analyst is obviously crazy. I mean....what kind of fringe lunatic would predict the sort of stuff that he is?

Dwight Drane does not work for Citi

We could probably find at least two people that say the anit Christ walks the earth right now and probably several more that say he was just elected POTUS. That doesn't mean it's true. :D

Wow.....I hope some of you here don't have any money with Citi. Not because they are insolvent, but because their head analyst is obviously crazy. I mean....what kind of fringe lunatic would predict the sort of stuff that he is?

Dwight Drane does not work for Citi

A whole bunch of other pundits predict a rise in gold (including Steve Forbes) and you want us all to blow you? (Wrong thread for that topic I know.)

It doesn't seem like a stretch to assume all the paper money will drive up inflation. Right now it's offset by the flight to TBills. In the future it might be offset by rising interest rates. Still, if Team Obama is really going to flood the economy with paper, inflation will probably occur.

Compound that with the fact that so many other countries are following suit and one of the only predictable (and accepted) measures of wealth is gold. Will it reach 2000/oz? Who knows? I have been in and around gold for 10 years (was involved in a curious lawsuit regarding gold at one time where I learned a lot about it). All I can tell you is this: the goldbugs ALWAYS say the dollar is on the verge of collapse and gold is about to go through the roof. Every post I see today is no different than all the letters and stories I was reading 10 years ago.

We could probably find at least two people that say the anit Christ walks the earth right now and probably several more that say he was just elected POTUS. That doesn't mean it's true. :D

I'm not saying it's true. I'm just saying it must be a conflict of interest for someone that has been calling me a crazy lunatic for the past year to have money held at the biggest financial institution in the world (well, at least they were the biggest), where their head analyst is now saying the same things I have been. Imagine if he actually had a bible at his house as well. YIKES! Wow....I don't know how I could mindfu#k myself into believing my money was safe after that one. Either it really is the end of things as we know it, or I have my money at a place where a certifiable quack is in charge.

Interesting conflict.

A whole bunch of other pundits predict a rise in gold (including Steve Forbes) and you want us all to blow you? (Wrong thread for that topic I know.)

It doesn't seem like a stretch to assume all the paper money will drive up inflation. Right now it's offset by the flight to TBills. In the future it might be offset by rising interest rates. Still, if Team Obama is really going to flood the economy with paper, inflation will probably occur.

Compound that with the fact that so many other countries are following suit and one of the only predictable (and accepted) measures of wealth is gold. Will it reach 2000/oz? Who knows? I have been in and around gold for 10 years (was involved in a curious lawsuit regarding gold at one time where I learned a lot about it). All I can tell you is this: the goldbugs ALWAYS say the dollar is on the verge of collapse and gold is about to go through the roof. Every post I see today is no different than all the letters and stories I was reading 10 years ago.

It's not about the gold....it's the rest of the article.

I'm not saying it's true. I'm just saying it must be a conflict of interest for someone that has been calling me a crazy lunatic for the past year to have money held at the biggest financial institution in the world (well, at least they were the biggest), where their head analyst is now saying the same things I have been. Imagine if he actually had a bible at his house as well. YIKES! Wow....I don't know how I could mindfu#k myself into believing my money was safe after that one. Either it really is the end of things as we know it, or I have my money at a place where a certifiable quack is in charge.

Interesting conflict.

In theory, the head analyst is supposed to state his own opinion even if it differs from the firms to be in compliance with CFA standard Conflict of Interest.

Boy I've been studying way too much.

:D

The monetary base, which essentially represents the amount of (paper) currency available in the economy, has increased by $600 billion since August, which is exactly the amount of excess reserves held by the banking system. So "team Bush" has already flooded "the banking system with paper." Why is "team obama" getting the blame for that?

In theory, the head analyst is supposed to state his own opinion even if it differs from the firms to be in compliance with CFA standard Conflict of Interest.

Boy I've been studying way too much.

:D

Whatever happened to that thread about firemen who light fires so they can show up on the scene and put them out?

That's what it reminds me of.