Biggest WIN in UB Football history Friday 11/21/08

PromoTheRobot

I have been beating the drum over UB Football for the last two seasons. So I'm sure some of you are quite tired of my breathless posts about big games. But this one really is THE game.

A win over Bowling Green will clinch the MAC East for UB, which puts them into the MAC championship (likely against Ball State.) Both teams are guaranteed a bowl game. (The International Bowl in Toronto is possible.)

The only TV available (as of now) is Buckeye Cable SportsNet if you live in Ohio. Otherwise the MAC conference has a PPV video stream for $7.95. Don't forget it's a 6pm start time.

I know some of you don't care about college football outside of the BCS, but this is our school and they have our town's name on their jerseys. And they are a compelling story.

PTR

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest game in UB Football history this Friday @ 6pm, Beat BGSU: clinch MAC East, MAC title game, and bowl

I think the last 3 or 4 games have been the biggest game in UB football history to that point and it just continues. It's so great to have UB football on the map. Win on Friday and it's bowl time for UB, that just sounds crazy. I have been to 3 games so far this year and they are 3-0, can't believe I have seen 3 wins in one season! One so called expert has the Bulls playing Hawii in the Hawaii bowl on Christmas Day (or maybe Eve, not sure which). How cool would that be? GO BULLS!!!

I think Syracuse will be going after TG this off season. The money may be attractive, but that program is not. Although the same could be said about UB's program before he took over...

I'm right there with ya PTR. This is some seriously exciting shite going on right here. Tomorrow night's game is huge, though I do think there's a good shot of them getting a bowl bid if the lose and then win at home against Kent. But to win the MAC East and play in the MAC Championship game, and then a bowl, to unbelievable to believe!

This program has come a long way since those tough games against hated cross-town rival Buff State!

I think the last 3 or 4 games have been the biggest game in UB football history to that point and it just continues. It's so great to have UB football on the map. Win on Friday and it's bowl time for UB, that just sounds crazy. I have been to 3 games so far this year and they are 3-0, can't believe I have seen 3 wins in one season! One so called expert has the Bulls playing Hawii in the Hawaii bowl on Christmas Day (or maybe Eve, not sure which). How cool would that be? GO BULLS!!!

I think Syracuse will be going after TG this off season. The money may be attractive, but that program is not. Although the same could be said about UB's program before he took over...

Coming from an SU alum, that coaching vacancy I think is going to be more attractive then most people think. First, your in a BCS conference, 2nd, the Big East is wide open every year so the possibly of being successful early is there, 3rd, you play in a climate controlled building(could sell recruits on not playing in the elements). I think with the right hire SU is going to be a factor sooner rather then later in the Big East. I also believe Turner Gill would be an excellent hire. Hopefully they get it done.

I have been beating the drum over UB Football for the last two seasons. So I'm sure some of you are quite tired of my breathless posts about big games. But this one really is THE game.

Never!

I did a search of the DTV sports channels figuring that the game must be on some channel, but you're right, it doesn't show.

I've been following the Bulls since Turner Gill arrived and it's amazing how much he has transformed the program. They are just an absolute fun team to watch and they were literally two plays away from being 8-2 this season. It's been a great season so far but they were inches away from it being phenomenal. It still can be with a win on Friday.

With the size of UB, there have been rumblings of a possible move to The Big East in the past but the school needed respectability and better attendance. They are quickly getting there. UB is obviously a huge school with a good name that would be a great fit for a more established conference like The Big East if their sports were up to snuff. That said, the MAC is quietly becoming a major player in many major collegiate sports.

Hey Promo,

What's your interest in the program? Are you a fan? A grad? Something more involved?

First, they are Buffalo's university. I did go there for 2 years before transferring to Syracuse but I have no feelings for SU. I too jumped on board when Gill became HC. What really hooked my was the "4 season tickets for $120" package. I figured it was a cheap easy way to support the program.

I do have an ulterior motive: it's my hedge if the Bills ever do leave town. I figure I'll have my seats if/when UB football is all Buffalo has. Losing the Bills would suck out loud, but having a decent college program to root for would be better than nothing.

As for Gill leaving for SU, I'm not convinced he'd go. Gill grew up in Texas and its been reported that's where he wants to end up. He's also a very religious family man who apparently likes living in Buffalo, as does his family, so uprooting them just to job-hop is not his style. I think he stays til next year then heads south.

But if UB shows a commitment to athletics, and the program keeps growing, why leave at all? Why not become the icon of a program, like his mentor Tom Osborne? How many chances does a coach get to do that? I've read somewhere that the Big East is short of schools for football. Can you imagine UB Football in the Big East?

PTR

Seriously considering a roadie to Detroit for the MAC championship should UB get there. This year has been a lot of fun. Above and beyond being competitive, they play a really entertaining brand of football. On a related note, this Sunday's Outside the Lines on ESPN is about the UB football team in 1958 that turned down a bowl bid because of the refusal to allow UB's black players to play.

link

Seriously considering a roadie to Detroit for the MAC championship should UB get there. This year has been a lot of fun. Above and beyond being competitive, they play a really entertaining brand of football. On a related note, this Sunday's Outside the Lines on ESPN is about the UB football team in 1958 that turned down a bowl bid because of the refusal to allow UB's black players to play.

link

Awesome! About two months ago, I emailed like 20 people at ESPN about the fact that it was the 50th anniversary of this story. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. :lol:

UB True Blue.com

UB True Blue is going to have a viewing party for this game at Dave & Buster's on Transit Rd. They will be putting the internet stream on the big screens at D&B. Don't expect hi-def but at least you can have a beer while cheering with other rabid UB fans.

PTR

UB True Blue.com

UB True Blue is going to have a viewing party for this game at Dave & Buster's on Transit Rd. They will be putting the internet stream on the big screens at D&B. Don't expect hi-def but at least you can have a beer while cheering with other rabid UB fans.

PTR

UPDATE: Just got word that Time Warner will carry the UB/BGSU game on ch.13 in Buffalo. (Have not heard if it will also be shown on ch.26 Rochester.) Apparently enough folks called and e-mailed to make it happen.

PTR

Can this be the night a Buffalo sports team wins a huge game (on the road no less) and not gag all over themselves?!? This game has enormous implications. It's bigger than the MAC Championship game imo because without it, they never make it to the MACCG. This game is the difference between UB being irrelevant for another season and being relevant for the first time ever in D-1 football. Normally this would be the night...with everything on the line... that a Buffalo team would lay a big gigantic egg.

C'mon UB, beat Bowling Green. You can do this! They slap you around every year and now it's time for some ultimate payback. Time to make Buffalo proud for once.

UPDATE: Just got word that Time Warner will carry the UB/BGSU game on ch.13 in Buffalo. (Have not heard if it will also be shown on ch.26 Rochester.) Apparently enough folks called and e-mailed to make it happen.

PTR

That's awesome. I have been checking to see I could find a video stream of the game with no luck, other than paying $7.95 via the MAC website. Thought I had to settle for the audio stream on weck. But this is great news! Hopefully it's true, right now the Oakland at Syracuse bb game is listed in the guide. GO BULLS!!!

Edit: Sweet...Just read in the Buffalo News that the game willl be broadcast on TW, game on!!! (Not that I ever doubted you PTR... :thumbsup: )

UPDATE: TWC 26 Rochester will NOT be showing the UB-GGSU game live tonight. (They will show an SU vs creampuff basketball game instead.) They will show a replay on Thanksgiving. So to see the game live outside of TWC-Buffalo, you have to view online ($7.95 ppv). Link listed earlier in this thread.

PTR

Can this be the night a Buffalo sports team wins a huge game (on the road no less) and not gag all over themselves?!? This game has enormous implications. It's bigger than the MAC Championship game imo because without it, they never make it to the MACCG. This game is the difference between UB being irrelevant for another season and being relevant for the first time ever in D-1 football. Normally this would be the night...with everything on the line... that a Buffalo team would lay a big gigantic egg.

C'mon UB, beat Bowling Green. You can do this! They slap you around every year and now it's time for some ultimate payback. Time to make Buffalo proud for once.

It won't be a gag if they lose, but it would be a huge disappointment. this game is for the MAC East title pretty much, it's not like BG doesn't have anything to play for. So it's hard to say a loss is a gag. Anyway a nice first drive for the Bulls, unfortunately they do not come away with any points. D held BG to 3 and out on their first posession...