Buy American? Made in the USA?

SDS

I remember many moons ago the "Buy American" type campaigns and the "Made in the USA" stickers. I guess with nearly all the manufacturing gone, trying to continue that philosophy is futile. Walmart used to feature and brag about the amount of products that were made here, but that quietly went away.

I was looking for shoes today and decided to see what my choices were. It appears Allen Edmonds may be one of the last manufacturers making quality men's shoes. New Balance still makes a portion of their line here.

Does anyone else even bother with such things anymore? Is it stupid to pay $250 for Allen Edmonds shoes when you can buy some other brand for $125?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, in 04 when I was shopping for a mini van for the wife I checked the product origination sticker. While looking at the Chevy Venture it said 80% Canada, the Toyota said 80% U.S.. I then made the decision and said to myself, F the G.M. employee discount and why should I care about the Canadian UAW workers, plus the Toyota said the only major component imported was the tranny. I want my tranny made in Japan for obvious reasons, 160,000 miles later, 1 new battery and some oil changes. No bailout for the big 3, let them file chapter 11 and get it started. On a side note G.M. opened a new assembly plant in Russia a couple weeks ago, F them.

I remember many moons ago the "Buy American" type campaigns and the "Made in the USA" stickers. I guess with nearly all the manufacturing gone, trying to continue that philosophy is futile. Walmart used to feature and brag about the amount of products that were made here, but that quietly went away.

I was looking for shoes today and decided to see what my choices were. It appears Allen Edmonds may be one of the last manufacturers making quality men's shoes. New Balance still makes a portion of their line here.

Does anyone else even bother with such things anymore? Is it stupid to pay $250 for Allen Edmonds shoes when you can buy some other brand for $125?

The law of comparative advantage. If they make it cheaper, you're better off in the end as well as anyone else.

Yes, in 04 when I was shopping for a mini van for the wife I checked the product origination sticker. While looking at the Chevy Venture it said 80% Canada, the Toyota said 80% U.S.. I then made the decision and said to myself, F the G.M. employee discount and why should I care about the Canadian UAW workers, plus the Toyota said the only major component imported was the tranny. I want my tranny made in Japan for obvious reasons, 160,000 miles later, 1 new battery and some oil changes. No bailout for the big 3, let them file chapter 11 and get it started. On a side note G.M. opened a new assembly plant in Russia a couple weeks ago, F them.

Big fan of Japanese trannies are you? :thumbdown:

The law of comparative advantage. If they make it cheaper, you're better off in the end as well as anyone else.

Thats the kicker it wasn't cheaper, but for the same price I got more options. With the employee discount I would have had to move up 28 thousand before the discount. I could have then gotten the price down to 23,500 but I said f the Canadian UAW. Most of the gm trucks and vans are from the north. By the way I also run a full sized chevy van with 205,000 and no major breakdowns, hard driven also, can't beat the 350c.i..

Many members of my family work for G.M. to this day, it was a tuff call, don't think I could have done it if my Dad was still kickin, out of respect. 35 f years.

Sure am for smaller vehicles, then again I guess you don't do much research on repairs

and such. Know any great wrench turners, genius? I'll let ya know when she hits 400,000, we drive'm to the junk yard!

Oh, so you turn your wrench, while thinking about Japanese trannies? :thumbdown:

No offense, but, I don't wish you to drive me anywhere. Thanks though :worthy:

I just don't go that way, if I follow you correctly.

Oh, so you turn your wrench, while thinking about Japanese trannies? :thumbdown:

No offense, but, I don't wish you to drive me anywhere. Thanks though :worthy:

I just don't go that way, if I follow you correctly.

What's the point, oh I get it. Time to put my nuclear middle finger back in place of uncle sugar cookies.

On Cars I only buy Toyota and by the way more of it is built in the USA than similar model cars from the other 3 guys.

If the big three go under, there will still be some cars made in the USA. The only difference is the ownership. And as far as that goes, you are free to buy stock in Toyota... so it's actually only about which government gets the corporate taxes.

If the USG wants companies to be headquartered here, it knows what to do - lower the corporate taxes.

And convince American workers to work for 2 dollars a day.

Worker salaries (as opposed to total compensation) at Toyota and Honda in Japan average $26,000. Toyota's salaries for US employees (which includes management) is probably in the neighborhood of $57,000. But keep up the enlightened stereotypes.

http://www.finfacts.com/irishfinancenews/a...e_1012890.shtml

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/search...or+Sales,+U.S.A.

Worker salaries (as opposed to total compensation) at Toyota and Honda in Japan average $26,000. Toyota's salaries for US employees (which includes management) is probably in the neighborhood of $57,000. But keep up the enlightened stereotypes.

http://www.finfacts.com/irishfinancenews/a...e_1012890.shtml

http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/search...or+Sales,+U.S.A.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/storie.../06/focus7.html

Another benefit of the humble pay scale is a public relations shield for Nike, which is still frequently attacked for its overseas labor practices--where Indonesian workers contracted to make Nike shoes start out making $2 to $3 per day.

What is your point exactly? Nike doesn't make their shoes in Japan. Japan is not the barefoot, two dollar a day cheap labor country you seem to think. It is in fact an affluent country, with personnal savings rates far higher than the US, and with a labor shortage.

In fact, I believe every significant auto manufacturer is based in a developed country. I very much doubt you could find one whose workers there have salaries averaging less than a half those in the US. Even when they outsource significant operations for labor reasons, it is to places like Spain.

What is your point exactly? Nike doesn't make their shoes in Japan. Japan is not the barefoot, two dollar a day cheap labor country you seem to think. It is in fact an affluent country, with personnal savings rates far higher than the US, and with a labor shortage.

In fact, I believe every significant auto manufacturer is based in a developed country. I very much doubt you could find one whose workers there have salaries averaging less than a half those in the US. Even when they outsource significant operations for labor reasons, it is to places like Spain.

Is this thread solely about car manufacturing?

I've try to buy American when I can find it, even if it costs more. My last 3 vehicles have been Ford, Dodge, Chrysler. I'm going on 5 years of boycotting Walmart on principle for forcing vendors to lower costs to the point of them moving manufacturing overseas. And if I have no American option, I still look at the country of origin on similar products. If there's an option, I try not to buy a product from China.