I wake up this morning blessed to be a Bills fan

Drew026

Last night my brother and I attended our first ever home Bills game. I was never so excited in my life for a football game. While there was a lot wrong with the Bills last night, and how hurt I was after the game sitting there stunned, and even in more pain listening to the post game show waiting to get out of the parking lot I woke up this morning on 5 hours of sleep and a voice that was shot, realizing how thankful I am for the Buffalo Bills. I'm only 20 years old so I haven't been through the pain as much as a lot of you but I have seen my fair share, and it seems like every year I've been a fan the Bills know exactly how to break your heart in the most crushing way. But I came out of that game last night realizing how thankful I am to be a Bills fan and how proud I am to call Buffalo my teams home city. I woke up this morning realizing all the positives instead of the negatives. Lynch who is my favorite player delivered one of his best games ever right before my own eyes. Stevie Johnson who I have been high on since he was drafted was our standout reciever(not that thats a terribly good thing but I was reppin him all night in section 142) Leodis McKelvin brought me back to life after it seemed like all hope was lost with his electric touchdown return. And above all else, celebrating with my fans, singing the shout song after we scored which was the one thing I was looking forward to more then anything, making as much noise as I could when we needed to get loud, and being apart of the most intense atmosphere in football.

I know this post is kind of all over the place and is a bit lengthy and many of you may not read it, or don't feel the same way as I do this morning. But this morning, after getting no sleep, having no voice from howling all night in the blistering cold night air, and almost driving off the road from the slick snowy roads back to rochester, I realized there is not a damn thing I would take back from last night. While I have been a die hard since the day I started watching Bills football, last night I finally felt apart of this team despite a heart breaking loss, and realized how lost my life would be if I didn't have the Buffalo Bills to call my team. I do want to see change in this football team, but I'm going to be patient. I know the post season chances for this club are very bleak right now, and it looks like we're going to have another typical 9-7 or 8-8 season, unlike most teams we have a reason to be optimistic every week that we can win. With the future of this organization still in question, and whether this team will be apart of western NY in the long run, I will suffer through inconsistent quarterback play, lack of defense in big spots, wide rights, poor coaching, and so forth, as long as I can be apart of BUFFALO BILLS FOOTBALL.

Go Bills.

Last night my brother and I attended our first ever home Bills game. I was never so excited in my life for a football game. While there was a lot wrong with the Bills last night, and how hurt I was after the game sitting there stunned, and even in more pain listening to the post game show waiting to get out of the parking lot I woke up this morning on 5 hours of sleep and a voice that was shot, realizing how thankful I am for the Buffalo Bills. I'm only 20 years old so I haven't been through the pain as much as a lot of you but I have seen my fair share, and it seems like every year I've been a fan the Bills know exactly how to break your heart in the most crushing way. But I came out of that game last night realizing how thankful I am to be a Bills fan and how proud I am to call Buffalo my teams home city. I woke up this morning realizing all the positives instead of the negatives. Lynch who is my favorite player delivered one of his best games ever right before my own eyes. Stevie Johnson who I have been high on since he was drafted was our standout reciever(not that thats a terribly good thing but I was reppin him all night in section 142) Leodis McKelvin brought me back to life after it seemed like all hope was lost with his electric touchdown return. And above all else, celebrating with my fans, singing the shout song after we scored which was the one thing I was looking forward to more then anything, making as much noise as I could when we needed to get loud, and being apart of the most intense atmosphere in football.

I know this post is kind of all over the place and is a bit lengthy and many of you may not read it, or don't feel the same way as I do this morning. But this morning, after getting no sleep, having no voice from howling all night in the blistering cold night air, and almost driving off the road from the slick snowy roads back to rochester, I realized there is not a damn thing I would take back from last night. While I have been a die hard since the day I started watching Bills football, last night I finally felt apart of this team despite a heart breaking loss, and realized how lost my life would be if I didn't have the Buffalo Bills to call my team. I do want to see change in this football team, but I'm going to be patient. I know the post season chances for this club are very bleak right now, and it looks like we're going to have another typical 9-7 or 8-8 season, unlike most teams we have a reason to be optimistic every week that we can win. With the future of this organization still in question, and whether this team will be apart of western NY in the long run, I will suffer through inconsistent quarterback play, lack of defense in big spots, wide rights, poor coaching, and so forth, as long as I can be apart of BUFFALO BILLS FOOTBALL.

Go Bills.

Go Bills.

Go Bills.

I'm generally not one for post look on the bright side after crushing losses type person, but man I hear you. Sometimes I forget at this young age. I'm only 24 myself. That while winning games would be fantastic. It's the fan aspect that makes it worthwhile. The little things. The atmosphere. Being there with family or friends, feeling a part of something to get away from the tedious aspects of the daily day to day sh--. I hear you brother. This post resonates with me. :wallbash:

Go Bills.

Just keep your eyes open and be thankful he doesn't accidentally run you over in the parking lot.

Go Bills. This is coming from a Bills fane who has only driven through Buffalo one time and stopped at the Ralph during the offseason when nothing was happening. I was born and raised in California, live in Boston and have only seen the Bills play on the road(@ SF in 95, @ Oak in 05 and @ NE* this year). Despit all of this, I couldn't see myself ever loving another professional sports team the way I love the wagon circling Buffalo Bills!

Go Bills.

I admire your passion and congratulate you on attending your first game. There is nothing like that first Bills' game, and mine was 40 years ago in the actual stadium they called the Rock Pile, old War Memorial Stadium in downtown Buffalo. I'm turning 50 in January and I don't feel any less passionate about the Bills then you do at 20.

But I gotta tell you Drew026, after 40 years of watching excruciating losses like the one you are so excited about attending last night, I am really glad my days of sitting out there losing my voice and freezing my ass off are over. Been there, done that. The Bills organization is lucky that they can still draw young passionate fans like yourself into the stadium during this 10 year funk they are in. I hope for your sake they finally end this franchise-record steak of seasons without playoffs in the next couple of years. It looks pretty hopeless for them again this season.

Oh I've cheered for some bad Bills' teams from 1968 through today, don't get me wrong. But I was also fortunate enough to be in my late 20's to late 30's when the best Bills' teams of all time played every week and went to the playoffs every year and to the Super Bowl four consecutive years. No other team in NFL history has played in four straight Super Bowls, and despite the fact they lost all four, those were my years of owning season tickets and going on road trips to Cleveland, New England, Indy and Cincinnati, and even one Super Bowl trip to watch the Bills play in it live against Washington in Minneapolis in 1992.

So I can feel your excitement for the Bills. I really hope they reward it the way I was rewarded when I was a young fan just a few years older then you going to the games!

Go Bills.

I love your enthusiasm. By the time I was 20 I had been kicked in the nutz every year for 16 years. I was a seasoned vet by the time I was 18.

Go Bills. This is coming from a Bills fane who has only driven through Buffalo one time and stopped at the Ralph during the offseason when nothing was happening. I was born and raised in California, live in Boston and have only seen the Bills play on the road(@ SF in 95, @ Oak in 05 and @ NE* this year). Despit all of this, I couldn't see myself ever loving another professional sports team the way I love the wagon circling Buffalo Bills!

I remember that SF 95 game vividly. That was an all-time Bills disaster.

I remember that SF 95 game vividly. That was an all-time Bills disaster.

Was that the derrick holmes fumble (and 99 yd fumble return)? That one still hurts. But as far as the original post I agree 100% I'm from NJ, but my dads from buffalo and I became a fan as a young child by seeing how much passion he had for the team. For the first time in a while Im not gonna be able to make it up to buffalo for a game this year because my work situations been screwed up since the market crash and I'm pretty bummed out about it. Going to games in Buffalo is a special experience, giants and jets games dont even come close as far as atmosphere and fan passion. Games like the one last night hurt so badly, but overall I'd rather be a fan of this team than any other, I really do believe that bills fans are a special breed. I've been watching the bills at a bar in maplewood, nj with my dad and my brother every sunday for the past 10 years and we've had a group of about 10 bills fans that have been showing up consistently through out the years despite the playoff drought. This isnt a bills backers bar, just a regular sports bar with direct tv. Throughout the years we'll see groups of fans form other teams come and go based on how successful their season is, but the bills fans are the only ones there every weekend no matter what. A couple years ago I went to a meaningless saturday night game at the ralph. It was snowing and about -10 degrees and the bills got blown out. But I still remember it as a great night. No matter what the product on the field, bills fans are a special group and im happy to be a part of it. The original poster is wise beyond his years, I could spend all day commiserating about what the team is doing right now, but sometimes it helps to put it all in perspective and realize WHY it means so much to us.

Was that the derrick holmes fumble (and 99 yd fumble return)? That one still hurts. But as far as the original post I agree 100% I'm from NJ, but my dads from buffalo and I became a fan as a young child by seeing how much passion he had for the team. For the first time in a while Im not gonna be able to make it up to buffalo for a game this year because my work situations been screwed up since the market crash and I'm pretty bummed out about it. Going to games in Buffalo is a special experience, giants and jets games dont even come close as far as atmosphere and fan passion. Games like the one last night hurt so badly, but overall I'd rather be a fan of this team than any other, I really do believe that bills fans are a special breed. I've been watching the bills at a bar in maplewood, nj with my dad and my brother every sunday for the past 10 years and we've had a group of about 10 bills fans that have been showing up consistently through out the years despite the playoff drought. This isnt a bills backers bar, just a regular sports bar with direct tv. Throughout the years we'll see groups of fans form other teams come and go based on how successful their season is, but the bills fans are the only ones there every weekend no matter what. A couple years ago I went to a meaningless saturday night game at the ralph. It was snowing and about -10 degrees and the bills got blown out. But I still remember it as a great night. No matter what the product on the field, bills fans are a special group and im happy to be a part of it. The original poster is wise beyond his years, I could spend all day commiserating about what the team is doing right now, but sometimes it helps to put it all in perspective and realize WHY it means so much to us.

Thats the one. "The hit heard round the world" as whiner fans like to call it. I was a fresh faced teenager, got the tickets 11 days prior as a b'day present, rocked every piece of Bills gear I had been able to buy with my minimum wage job, and had middle-aged SF fags fans trying to start fights with me. Summummabiches had too much wine and cheese at their tailgate.

Well, I'm over 50 and the Bills can still pull me to them every game they play. I also get to every home opener and try to make at least 2-3 other live games every season.

And every year when I walk into the Ralph - the tears are there along with the memories of so many great games and times with my friends and family.

Win or lose - I wouldn't trade that euphoric feeling for anything. Perhaps it's a sick obsession - I don't know. But I do know that looking forward to each season with hope is right up there with praying for my family.

I'm so glad for you that you got to experience the electricity and emotion of actually being there.

Well, I'm over 50 and the Bills can still pull me to them every game they play. I also get to every home opener and try to make at least 2-3 other live games every season.

And every year when I walk into the Ralph - the tears are there along with the memories of so many great games and times with my friends and family.

Win or lose - I wouldn't trade that euphoric feeling for anything. Perhaps it's a sick obsession - I don't know. But I do know that looking forward to each season with hope is right up there with praying for my family.

I'm so glad for you that you got to experience the electricity and emotion of actually being there.

That does sound over the top.

I'm torn here the fan in me bleeds Blue has for about 30 years. However this is an nfl team and players and coaches who are making alot of money. If I think about it that way as a buisness a product that I and many other fans pay hard earned money to support I think about it a little differently. In the working world I'm an optician lets say you come to me to have glasses made and I make them wrong, then you come back the next year and I make your glasses wrong again, year three I make them wrong yet again. Would you continue to support me or look for a new optician?

Thank you for your post. I think all the bills fans needed a happy post like that. I live in New York City now and we have one thing way up on the Giants and Jets. We actually play football in the state of NY. So whenever they are talking their mouths off remember to tell them that they should be the New Jersey Jets/Giants that share a stadium. How pathetic is that.

Here is to 11-5. We got the NFL right where we want them.

Go Bills.

Good post, I live in Florida now but when I lived in WNY I was there to see Cunningham elude Bruce Smith and throw a bomb down the field, the trouncing the Bills put on the Raiders in the playoffs and even the AFC championship game against the Broncos (I remember watching the KC game on tv the week before and my mom dropped the tickets in my lap when the clock hit triple zero's)...

So I hear ya, one thing I noticed when I was there in '05 against the Chiefs - it's still the same, the fans are still as into it as they were during the glory days. Like the product or not, I'm not goin anywhere.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thats how i feel after every Bills game ive ever been too. Win or loss and like you im 20 years old and ive been to a fair share especially when i was younger. I always feel lucky to be able to expierence a game and i look forward to it for months and remember every game and all the people around me.

Last game i went to was against the Titans in 06 on christmas eve and we lost but it was still the best christmas present i could have gotton

I'm torn here the fan in me bleeds Blue has for about 30 years. However this is an nfl team and players and coaches who are making alot of money. If I think about it that way as a buisness a product that I and many other fans pay hard earned money to support I think about it a little differently. In the working world I'm an optician lets say you come to me to have glasses made and I make them wrong, then you come back the next year and I make your glasses wrong again, year three I make them wrong yet again. Would you continue to support me or look for a new optician?

Well I certainly wouldn't go looking for an optician in an entirely different city.

Go Bills.

I am 43 and have been a fan since before the Chuck Knox era. (do u know who he was?) I went to the Super Bowl vs. Giants. (One of most fun days in my life until the miss) went to the bowl vs. Cowboys in the Rose Bowl. Was at the Music City Miracle, and the Dolphin playoff game where Flutie was sacked inside the 10 yard line trying to lead us to victory. Have been to many games at the Ralph. I have not missed a game since 1994. I wear a Bills jersey for EVERY game. (sometimes my Bryce Paup jersey-best year a Bills defender has ever had 1995-Defensive MVP) I watched all the games now with my 9 year old son. It means alot to him as well. Being a Bills fan is so passionate. We all LOVE our team. Real glad you feel that. Keep it up. Appreciate when we become good because it doesn't last forever. One day (not this year) we will turn it around. Keep the faith.

If I was in love with you, I'd stay with you through thick and thin. :thumbdown: