Root of all Bills problems

I've been a devoted Bills fan since 1985. When the Bills were at 5-1, I became enthusiastic about their playoff hopes despite a nagging feeling of deja vue. This three game losing skid has made me remember exactly what is wrong with this franchise.

I think the root of the Bills problems is Ralph Wilson himself.

In the Bills 48 year history they've had 14 head coaches over 16 head coaching terms, (Johnson and Saban had two terms each) for an average coaching term of 3 years. If you remove 12 years of Marv Levy from the figures as an anomaly, the average head coaching term is only 2.4 years. This reflects poorly on team ownership to say the least.

The fact that a great general manager like Bill Polian, and a good gm like John Butler, and good gm material like A.J. Smith were all fired, the travesty of the Donahoe era, and that these days the team doesn't even have a gm title anymore... poor reflection on Ralph Wilson again.

I billieve that the root of all the Bills problems is the irresponsibility, egomania, and meddling stupidy of Ralph Wilson.

Just had to get this off my chest.

Go Bills (sigh)

I've been a devoted Bills fan since 1985. When the Bills were at 5-1, I became enthusiastic about their playoff hopes despite a nagging feeling of deja vue. This three game losing skid has made me remember exactly what is wrong with this franchise.

In the Bills 48 year history they've had 14 head coaches over 16 head coaching terms, (Johnson and Saban had two terms each) for an average coaching term of 3 years. If you remove 12 years of Marv Levy from the figures as an anomaly, the average head coaching term is only 2.4 years. This reflects poorly on team ownership to say the least.

The fact that a great general manager like Bill Polian, and a good gm like John Butler, and good gm material like A.J. Smith were all fired, the travesty of the Donahoe era, and that these days the team doesn't even have a gm title anymore... poor reflection on Ralph Wilson again.

I billieve that the root of all the Bills problems is the irresponsibility, egomania, and meddling stupidy of Ralph Wilson.

Go Bills (sigh)

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I don't dispute that offensive line play is crucial to success.

But I'm talking about the ROOT of the problem.

I don't blame the soldiers when the vast majority of the blame rests with the commander in chief.

Are you telling me that a more intelligent owner wouldn't have a more intelligent organization in place which results in better coaches, better players including the offensive line, pass rushers, etc. ?

It's taken you 23 years to realize that?

RW couldn't of said I am sorry, he was just too big a person. With that simple act, we would most likely be holding a few SB trophies right now but no luck there.

I'll personally dig him up and Bury him in Love Canal if he doesn't sell the team to Jimbo's group.

RW couldn't of said I am sorry, he was just too big a person. With that simple act, we would most likely be holding a few SB trophies right now but no luck there.

I'll personally dig him up and Bury him in Love Canal if he doesn't sell the team to Jimbo's group.

And that SuperBowl would belong to Phoenix, LA, etc.

One of these days the fandom will have to come to grips that if you have enjoyed NFL football in Buffalo over the years, you have enjoyed it Ralph Wilson style. Nothing more, nothing less. Think of it as character building.

And that SuperBowl would belong to Phoenix, LA, etc.

One of these days the fandom will have to come to grips that if you have enjoyed NFL football in Buffalo over the years, you have enjoyed it Ralph Wilson style. Nothing more, nothing less. Think of it as character building.

None the less, RW will be spending an enternity in Love Canal if he cannot find his soul on earth.

Go Bills (sigh)

I think you're being a little too harsh While Ralph's bungled decisions since firing Butler and hiring Donahoe have been a major hurdle to success, the very nature of the Bills being on a natural downward cycle from the 90's, the lack of money being in one of the smallest markets, trying to lure top free agents and head coaches to a rebuilding team in cold and snowy Buffalo has been major factors as well. It meant that if Buffalo didn't nail the high draft picks and rookie head coach, we were nailed. You are still seeing the effects of being nailed today. It's not all Ralph's fault, he does indeed share the blame but it's a tough go when your penny-wise decisions don't pan out.

I billieve that the root of all the Bills problems is the irresponsibility, egomania, and meddling stupidly of Ralph Wilson.

Go Bills (sigh)

Ive said this for a long time, poor management. If it wasn't for 4 superbowl appearance, just 4 AFC championship appearances, I think there would be more people agreeing. I am not so sure about the small market. Pitt does ok, not much different than Buffalo. Not to mention back in the 90's, the Bills where one of the highest spending teams in the league. Get a good GM, a GOOD coach with a WINNING RECORD, and get out of the bargain basement.

It's RW, but we keep letting it happen. For some stupid reason I am still MADLY IN LOVE with this franchise and keep buying tickets, even though they aren't committed enough to put a decent product on the field.

Go Bills (sigh)

BINGO. This franchise will never go anywhere under Ralph Wilson.

Go Bills (sigh)

And to think that Polian only got his chance because of a massive coronary had by one Terry Bledsoe, who's leadership had achieved successive 2-14 seasons and a very empty talent cupboard. Polian and the merry band of USFL refugees including Butler, Smith, Marv, Kelly, Kent Hull...

BINGO. This franchise will never go anywhere under Ralph Wilson.

Thank goodness. The franchise could have moved several times by now.

But it is what it is. You might as well cry about how your parents didn't have enough money/spend enough money on you. Oh wait, most people blame their parents for their problems. My bad.

Thank goodness. The franchise could have moved several times by now.

But it is what it is. You might as well cry about how your parents didn't have enough money/spend enough money on you. Oh wait, most people blame their parents for their problems. My bad.

LOL Let Ralph !@#$ you some more. This "BUT AT LEAST WE GET A MEDIOCRE NFL PRODUCT IN BUFFALO!" crap is the worst argument I've ever heard.

LOL Let Ralph !@#$ you some more. This "BUT AT LEAST WE GET A MEDIOCRE NFL PRODUCT IN BUFFALO!" crap is the worst argument I've ever heard.

I'd rather have a mediocre product than no product at all. As I said in another thread, Buffalo isn't where coaches or players want to play unless they're getting over market rates. And with the market the Bills have, it's not like that's a smart strategy.

But you're free to root for whatever team you want. Unlike your parents, you CAN choose your football team. Just ask Defender51.

It's no coincidence that Bill Polian has made the Colts an NFL powerhouse. The fact that Ralph wanted Flutie over Kelly just goes to show you that Ralph sucks as an owner.

So Ralph knew in 1997 (when jim retired) that he was going to sign Flutie in 1998?

Go Bills (sigh)

As Sylvester Stallone once said, Absolutely. Great post, !@#$ Ralph.

No, he wanted Flutie over Kelly back in the 80's, but they were fortunate enough to have Bill Polian at the time. I've got to wonder now if Polian would of drafted Trent Edwards. I doubt he would.

Gotcha. So Ralph took Jim Kelly in the 1st round of '83, knowingg he'd like to draft Flutie 2 years later in 1985. So, when exactly in 1985 would have ralph drafted Flutie that Polian had to override him? Flutie was an 11th round pick. And then Ralph would have started 11th round Flutie in 1986 over Jim Kelly?