Is Schobel a better player than we give him credit for?

BuffaloBill

Perry Fewell indicates this to be the case when he called him a "playmaker" and laments his loss due to injury. The drop in D-line play also suggests this is the case. Perhaps we do not give him enough credit. Bill's are 13th ranked D without him. However if you were to measure only the last games played without him the ranking would be significantly worse - in the bottom third.

I know some of you will argue too many other variables. While he is no Bruce Smith, Schobel does appear to be a key piece of the defense.

Perry Fewell indicates this to be the case when he called him a "playmaker" and laments his loss due to injury. The drop in D-line play also suggests this is the case. Perhaps we do not give him enough credit. Bill's are 13th ranked D without him. However if you were to measure only the last games played without him the ranking would be significantly worse - in the bottom third.

It's also a testament to how thin the roster is behind him.

Kelsay is overpaid and worthless.

Denney is so-so.

The team invested a 3rd round pick in Ellis, yet aren't confident enough to include him in the rotation.

Absolutely! What convinced me more than anything was how the DLine responsibilities were changed due to all the injuries last year and he responded with arguably his best overall season. As evidenced by the enormous respect afforded him by his peers in the player/coaching ranks.

These igmos who suggest that all he does is rush 10 yards straight upfield have absolutely NO knowledge of the schemes and context of the various positional responsibilities. He's one of the best DEs in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

I know some of you will argue too many other variables. While he is no Bruce Smith, Schobel does appear to be a key piece of the defense.

The lack of a pass rush is indicative of the positive effect he has on the team. I am really waiting for him to return. And if we add another Schobel-level DE on the other side, we will have a very good pass rush. I realize the interior of the line may also need some bolstering but the ends suck right now.

"He's one of the best DEs in the game."

Seeing as there are 64 starting de's in the league and he might rank in the top 20 I guess this is true.

I'll wait for you to come up with the criteria for ranking defensive ends. All 64 of them. Of course I expect these rankings to take into consideration every scheme each plays the majority of the time as well as the proper context of the schemes and other positional responsibilities withing those same contexts.

Thanks in advance for the difficult task of amassing this data.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll wait for you to come up with the criteria for ranking defensive ends. All 64 of them. Of course I expect these rankings to take into consideration every scheme each plays the majority of the time as well as the proper context of the schemes and other positional responsibilities withing those same contexts.

Thanks in advance for the difficult task of amassing this data.

GO BILLS!!!

Hey to be in the top 20 players at any position in the nfl is nothing to be ashamed of. My criteria was DE's I would rather have than Schobel on my team. Commanding double teams, sacks, forced fumbles ,strength of teammates on the line and ability to make tackles in the backfield. It's easy to name ten I would have instead of him. Eleven to twenty gets harder to grade thus I put him in the top 20 IMO. You cant name ten DE's you would rather have than Schobel?

No, because I don't give him credit to begin with. Early in his career, he was fantastic, but he hasn't done much since (other than be "good against the run" or have a "high motor). He is still living off his reputation of 2-3 years ago, but he is definitely NOT the same player.

My thoughts exactly. The DE position is the most glaring weakness on the Bills,IMO.

Worse than Center and or Guard???????

While I agree DE is an area of "need" on the Bills, it is far FAR outshadowed by our need of if not good at least a passible guard or center.

Just my opinion of course

Worse than Center and or Guard???????

While I agree DE is an area of "need" on the Bills, it is far FAR outshadowed by our need of if not good at least a passible guard or center.

Just my opinion of course

I believe if we had a dominant pass rusher at DE we would have a outstanding D. That would make Schobel the "2nd" DE where he wouldn't have as much attention paid to him by opposing o-lines. He'd be great in that role.Or even if we had 2 or 3 guys the caliber of Schobel,where you could rotate them in and move them around. When Schobel is, by far, your best pass rushing end your in trouble. Schobel isn't as good as some think,Kelsay isn't as bad as some think, and the rest of our DE's probably don't make the roster of a good defensive team. I agree that C is a definite need on this team. I guess I'm just more of a defensive guy so that's where my opinion comes from.

It's also a testament to how thin the roster is behind him.

Kelsay is overpaid and worthless.

Denney is so-so.

The team invested a 3rd round pick in Ellis, yet aren't confident enough to include him in the rotation.

I don't understand the deal with Ellis. Why don't they try him in obvious passing situations at least?

Hey K9 since you called me out and disappeared when I asked if you couldnt pick 10 players you would rather have manning that position vs Schobel. I can't compile rankings for all 64 ends in the league but here are 18 players I would feel more comfortable playing the position instead of Schobel, no particular order. Just my opinion but the basis for why I put Schobel in the top twenty. I didnt put much effort into compiling this list and could probably add a few more. Heck I would probably add Joey Porter there as well.

John Abraham

Julius Peppers

DeMarcus Ware

Dewayne White

Aaron Kampman

Mario Williams

Dwight Freeney

Jared Allen

Justin Tuck

Osi Umenyiora

Shaun Ellis

Kalimba Edwards