What is the MAIN problem with the team?

Captain Quint

What is the Main problem with the team?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Root of the problem

• Owner Ralph Wilson for not hiring the right coaching staff/ not picking up the right players/ being too "cheap".
    • Head Coach Dick Juron for not getting the best out of his players & coaches/ making poor gameday decisions
    • Coaches Perry Fewell & Turk Schonert for calling the wrong plays/ schemes
    • QB Trent Edwards for making poor decisions and not playing up to potential
    • RB Marshawn Lynch for not seeing the holes and therefore putting too much pressure on the passing game
    • Offensive Line for not opening up holes/ getting blown up/ etc.
    • Defensive line for not being able to get any sort of pressure on the opposing QB
    • Supporting cast - which includes Robert Royal, Josh Reed, Donte Whitner, Fred Jackson, Special Teams, James Hardy, Chris Kelsey, Aaron Schobel

There are about 20 different posts on here about the the main problem is and it's hard to keep track of them all. Choose which option you feel is the biggest reason, and also the root of why the Bills are not as successful as you hoped them to be so far this season.

Honestly, I feel like the root of the problem is not all the way at the top, but somewhere in the middle. I feel like the owner/coaches have built a pretty good team with alot of potential.

The Oline is absolutely killing this team and it ripples out from there. I understand that it's the coaches responsibility to get quality players, but on paper, these guys look good, and should be playing better than they are. There's no way for an offense (QB, RB, and coaches) to look good if the OLine isn't going to be able to block anyone. If the offense doesn't look good, the defense probably isn't for very long either.

Teams are going to make mistakes throughout games/seasons, but the consistent mistakes that the OLine have made this year have led to our inability to win games, in my opinion.

Just curious what the majority of people on the board think.

The Oline is absolutely killing this team and it ripples out from there. I understand that it's the coaches responsibility to get quality players, but on paper, these guys look good, and should be playing better than they are. There's no way for an offense (QB, RB, and coaches) to look good if the OLine isn't going to be able to block anyone. If the offense doesn't look good, the defense probably isn't for very long either.

I agree. Who would hold accountable for the O-line problems?

For me, it's a tough call between the OL not opening holes and the DL not pressuring the QB. I'm going with the OL because if they could at least run the ball well enough, it could chew up some clock while leading to points.

The DL could get some safety/LB help with blitzes to get some QB pressure. There's no help for the OL in the running game.

Offensive Line!

I do not miss a Bills football game, ever.

I either find a radio station that covers the game, or I go to NFL.com, so my assessment may not be as accurate

as someone's who has watched every game, but if I am getting the impression, just by lsitening or reviewing stats

and plays on NFL.com, that there is a lack of passion and fire, then there has to be. I cannot speak of everyone on the

team, but I definitley think that Peters is just going through the motions, and I think that Dockery is being effected by it.

Peters held out until the last possible momemt, so as to avoid missing out on game checks, comes in and promptly

gets all kinds of flags, and lets opponents have unabated paths to Edwards. He knew, that with that type of play, they

will be less inclined to offer him a contract extension, so I think that he is laying down. His performance will pick up

once his contract year comes up. I think that he came back wanting to perform, but was just not in game shape, so he wasn't, and that might have scared the Bills away from an eventual long term commitment. I think that Dockery's play has

slipped, because he already has a huge contract, and realizes that Peters is just going through the motions, why should I bust my tail for someone who has packed it in, and plays right next to me. Just a thought, but there is no way that anyone can convince me that the OL has slipped this badly, even in spite of all their injuries, and even though they were not considered great run blockers last year. Peters is a cancer on this team, and I hope that they do not re-sign him. How many times have we seen in the NFL, where one guy on the OL steps in and lifts the performane of the whole unit, Faneca with the Jets comes to my mind.

I agree. Who would hold acountable for the O-line problems?

Its a tough call because I'm not really an expert on player scouting or anything like that. It just seems like these guys on the line should be able to do better with what they have. The continuity is a big problem with injuries, but even when they were healthy, I didn't see Fowler & Butler picking up their games that much.

Is it that hard to find good lineman or is it more of a coaching/scouting problem where we just picked the wrong guys to bring in? I think its the OLine players themselves not understanding what they need to do or more simply, not executing it.

Its a tough call because I'm not really an expert on player scouting or anything like that. It just seems like these guys on the line should be able to do better with what they have. The continuity is a big problem with injuries, but even when they were healthy, I didn't see Fowler & Butler picking up their games that much.

Is it that hard to find good lineman or is it more of a coaching/scouting problem where we just picked the wrong guys to bring in? I think its the OLine players themselves not understanding what they need to do or more simply, not executing it.

Good points. I'm not an expert either but would surmise:

1. The guys recently brought in were vastly overpaid.

2. They are very big as NFL O-lines go and still can't run block.

3. The Bills cannot, or basically refuse to draft day 1 O-lineman. (Williams excluded)

4. The previously best lineman, Peters, just looks not very good at times.

5. The play calling may have a lot to do with it?

6. Possibly losing McNally was a bigger issue than thought?

Take your pick, but most likely a combination of issues, like most problems.

Agreed, all good points. I selected 'supporting cast'. I'm thrilled with the significant upgrades in personnel the last couple years but we're still paper thin. The 5-1 start showed me what our best players are capable of but we haven't had the same WR's,OL, DB's since and I think it's the biggest factor. Many of us were impressed with the way a lot of guys stepped up last season to produce a respectable record, but more was expected from them as a result and it isn't happening.

Adding to this are the new attitudes developing with the Jets and Fish.. We're in for a tough haul.

Here's hoping! B-)

I Don't know how anyone can say the franchise is cheap when there is a parallel observation that they've overpaid for talent. Maybe they've overpaid for the wrong talent but they still weren't afraid to pullout the checkbook.

I think as always our gameday coaching sucks. There is no elite player except maybe Evans and possibly Moorman. Ain't gonna cut it.

The OLine blowing up 3-4 person rushes would be great. They need to run over 7-8 man fronts.

C

There are about 20 different posts on here about the the main problem is and it's hard to keep track of them all. Choose which option you feel is the biggest reason, and also the root of why the Bills are not as successful as you hoped them to be so far this season.

Honestly, I feel like the root of the problem is not all the way at the top, but somewhere in the middle. I feel like the owner/coaches have built a pretty good team with alot of potential.

Teams are going to make mistakes throughout games/seasons, but the consistent mistakes that the OLine have made this year have led to our inability to win games, in my opinion.

Just curious what the majority of people on the board think.

Without question, coaching.

You know that's the problem. It is staring at you right in the face. It's even in your post. You state the obvious:

I understand that it's the coaches responsibility to get quality players,

Then you try to blur the responsibility:

but on paper,these guys look good, and should be playing better than they are.

These guys should be playing better, but they are not. That's a coaching problem, not a player problem.

And if there is still some doubt, it is the coaches responsibility to make the players "look good". It is NOT the players job to make the coaches look competent.

There's so much wrong with this team it's hard to know where to begin. Someone recently posted that our defense has forced three punts in the last two games. That's obviously pathetic. With DBs playing soft and allowing the underneath stuff it's hard to force too many three and outs. I think the problem there is overly cautious, play-not-to-lose coaching. The other possibility is that the coaches have good reason not to trust their DB/pass rush combination very much, and that they're playing it safe for that reason. (DBs and the pass rush go together, because every play boils down to whether a WR can get open before a defensive player gets to the QB.)

There are also a lot of problems on offense. What we need is Lee Evans at one WR spot, an Eric Moulds-like player at the other, and Josh Reed in the slot. And we need a good pass catching TE. Obviously we have some of the pieces of the puzzle there, but not others.

This offense could use better play-calling. Someone mentioned that, based on the formation the Bills used and the down and distance, he'd predict whether it would be a run or pass. This past game, he was wrong on all of three occasions. The level of predictability this implies is absolutely staggering. There are too many times when Schonert seems to say to himself, "Hey! I have three downs and I think I only need two, so why not waste first down by running Lynch between the tackles?"

But above all, the biggest single reason for this team's problems is the offensive line. If we had a good line, our running plays wouldn't be wasted downs. The passing attack--which right now is the only thing sustaining our offense--would be a lot better. People talk about Edwards' recent turnovers, but how many of those have been due to bad pass protection? On the recent interception on a throw intended for Parrish, someone pointed out that Edwards couldn't step into the throw because the DL Dockery was supposed to be blocking just blew Dockery up. On the fumble/safety, the OL failed to slow one of the defenders down on his way to the QB, and it was a three man rush! Fixing the offensive line's problems would eliminate at least half the offense's turnovers. With a significantly upgraded passing game and with life having been breathed into a moribund running game, our offense would be strong enough to compensate for many of our defense's shortcomings. A good offensive line really would make that much of a difference to our offense.

That's why I voted for the offensive line in this poll. But is our bottom 5 offensive line a symptom of a deeper problem? If so, where might that problem lie? Is it Ralph, for picking bad GMs, or for failing to spend the money it would take to get good GMs and coaches? Is the problem Bradon, Levy, or a lack of talent from the TD era? Is the problem Jauron, for perhaps advocating a draft day approach which over-emphasizes the secondary (which plays 10 yards off the ball anyway) while largely ignoring the offensive line? Or is the problem simply that too many of the Bills' draft day successes have gone first contract and out?

I really don't have the answer to these questions. I just hope for a good off-season which results in significant improvement to both lines.

Hey folks, here are my reasons why we are 5 - 4 ( and 5 - 4 is not a bad thing):

1.) The growing of TE. He is only 25, and has started 18 games. He has a hit a bit of a wall. The last three games, the Defensive game plans have been better vs Trent. I actually thought he played better vs NE, than vs the JETS. MIAm, NE, JETS and OAK all had a game plan where 7 d players were in the box. Only Oak blitzed quite a bit, where the other three screwed up TE by then dropping 8 in to the defensive back field. We had no answer for that. Partly due to Trent, partly due to my next two reasons.

2.) Injuries to key players at the wrong time. The Josh Reed injury has hurt the worst. The miami game we were in control, then one by one, key players went down. Schobel's injury as well. Even with how poorly the O-Line has played, I guess Brad Butler means that much. When he went down in Miami, it went from bad to worse real quick for the Bills.

3.) I have said this before, Melvin Fowler. Melvin Fowler is not a good center and an insult to us as fans. He is not managing the line the way he should we need a new center soon.

4.) Marshawn needs to hit the holes he is supposed to. When Jaws from ESPN states that he is not hitting the correct holes, then he is not hitting the correct holes.

5.) Youth. We are still young as a team.

I believe we will win our next 4 and that will put us in great position for 10 wins, a good position depending on if we sneak out a win vs the Jets for possibly 11 wins.

Anyway, for playoff positioning, it is better to get on a roll now.

I'm going with DL over OL although both have problems

If our DL was pressuring QB's we would have more turnovers and we would have won 2 of the last 3. You have to get to the QB.. D wins championships and teams like the ravens have proven that a rock solid ferocious D can carry a team well, especially with a young O and inexperienced QB

Our OL C is a big problem with G needing a boost too.

But until we can get to the QB with 4 pass rushers a good QB can just sit back and wait and wait and wait for a WR or TE or RB to get open.

Sorry, but I think it all starts with Ralphie Boy. He hired Jauron on the cheap, and that's what we are getting. Jauron's non-emotional demeaner are maddening, and I think a coach with 1/2 a pulse would instill more "fire" in his players. But again.....it starts above the coach, and that my friends is Mr. Wilson