What is the MAIN problem with the team?

Captain Quint

What is the Main problem with the team?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Root of the problem

• Owner Ralph Wilson for not hiring the right coaching staff/ not picking up the right players/ being too "cheap".
    • Head Coach Dick Juron for not getting the best out of his players & coaches/ making poor gameday decisions
    • Coaches Perry Fewell & Turk Schonert for calling the wrong plays/ schemes
    • QB Trent Edwards for making poor decisions and not playing up to potential
    • RB Marshawn Lynch for not seeing the holes and therefore putting too much pressure on the passing game
    • Offensive Line for not opening up holes/ getting blown up/ etc.
    • Defensive line for not being able to get any sort of pressure on the opposing QB
    • Supporting cast - which includes Robert Royal, Josh Reed, Donte Whitner, Fred Jackson, Special Teams, James Hardy, Chris Kelsey, Aaron Schobel

Without question, coaching.

You know that's the problem. It is staring at you right in the face. It's even in your post. You state the obvious:

Then you try to blur the responsibility:

These guys should be playing better, but they are not. That's a coaching problem, not a player problem.

And if there is still some doubt, it is the coaches responsibility to make the players "look good". It is NOT the players job to make the coaches look competent.

True, but it is their job to give 100% and to me, it doesn't appear like they are doing that. You can have the best coach in the world, but at an NFL level, some personal accountability for the individual players is in order. It's the coaches job to find the right personnel and gameplan, not to fire them up like it's a high school basketball game.

I'm not saying that we've got the gameplan down quite yet because it definitely needs work as well, but unless the players on the OLine start playing with some emotion and attitude, the best coach in the world won't bring it out of them at this level. Like anything else in the world, it all starts with the individual.

Good points. I'm not an expert either but would surmise:

1. The guys recently brought in were vastly overpaid.

2. They are very big as NFL O-lines go and still can't run block.

3. The Bills cannot, or basically refuse to draft day 1 O-lineman. (Williams excluded)

4. The previously best lineman, Peters, just looks not very good at times.

5. The play calling may have a lot to do with it?

6. Possibly losing McNally was a bigger issue than thought?

Take your pick, but most likely a combination of issues, like most problems.

Good List. I would add injuries and Peters' holdout.

Run and stop the run. It's the most basic element to successful football, and we can't do it. We're 28th in the league at moving forward on the ground: a mere 90 yards per game. 3.6 yards per carry.

The rushing defense is better, but still middle of the pack at best. And weigh that against the stable of superstars we've faced on the ground: Maurice Morris, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, and the Ghost of LaDanians Past.

Run and stop the run. It's the most basic element to successful football, and we can't do it. We're 28th in the league at moving forward on the ground: a mere 90 yards per game. 3.6 yards per carry.

The rushing defense is better, but still middle of the pack at best. And weigh that against the stable of superstars we've faced on the ground: Maurice Morris, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, and the Ghost of LaDanians Past.

Not talented enough YET. Too young.

Its a tough call because I'm not really an expert on player scouting or anything like that. It just seems like these guys on the line should be able to do better with what they have. The continuity is a big problem with injuries, but even when they were healthy, I didn't see Fowler & Butler picking up their games that much.

Is it that hard to find good lineman or is it more of a coaching/scouting problem where we just picked the wrong guys to bring in? I think its the OLine players themselves not understanding what they need to do or more simply, not executing it.

I think the last part of the last sentence sums it up. The OL is not executing. I don't think that is a coaching issue, I think that is a personnel issue. If you have to "coach" an offensive lineman how to run block, especially against smaller players, then you have an inferior player.

Now...if you agree with that assumption, then the question is, "Why do we have inferior offensive linemen and who is responsible for that?"