Jeff Fisher Proves That Staying With A HC For A Long Time

Steely Dan

Jeff Fisher is a good example of sticking with a HC. Fisher is in his 14th year as a HC of the Houston/Tennessee franchise.

Here's his record:

1994 1-5

1995 7-9

1996 8-8

1997 8-8

1998 8-8

1999 13-3

2000 13-3

2001 7-9

2002 11-5

2003 12-4

2004 5-11

2005 4-12

2006 8-8

2007 10-6

2008 so far undefeated.

Be careful about calling for someone's head too soon.

I know, I know Jauron sucked in Chicago but compare his first three years here with Fishers.

My point?

WE'RE NOT DOOMED!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good comparison. After all...

They've got Kevin Mawae, we've got Melvin Fowler/Duke Preston

They've got Albert Haynesworth and Tony Brown, we've got Marcus Stroud and Kyle Williams

They've got Kyle Vanden Bosch and Jevon Kearse, we've got Chris Kelsay/Ryan Denney and Aaron Schobel

They've got Alge Crumpler, we've got Robert Royal

The difference? Coaching.

Good comparison. After all...

They've got Kevin Mawae, we've got Melvin Fowler/Duke Preston

They've got Albert Haynesworth and Tony Brown, we've got Marcus Stroud and Kyle Williams

They've got Kyle Vanden Bosch and Jevon Kearse, we've got Chris Kelsay/Ryan Denney and Aaron Schobel

They've got Alge Crumpler, we've got Robert Royal

The difference? Coaching.

Yeah, I said compare his first three years, not this year. :blink:

Jeff Fisher is a good example of sticking with a HC. Fisher is in his 14th year as a HC of the Houston/Tennessee franchise.

Here's his record:

1994 1-5

1995 7-9

1996 8-8

1997 8-8

1998 8-8

1999 13-3

2000 13-3

2001 7-9

2002 11-5

2003 12-4

2004 5-11

2005 4-12

2006 8-8

2007 10-6

2008 so far undefeated.

I know, I know Jauron sucked in Chicago but compare his first three years here with Fishers.

My point?

WE'RE NOT DOOMED!!

Your premise is that if the Bills stay with a head coach they will eventually achieve a very good record and the premise is based on a sample of 1 coach. I'm not sold on your conclusion or Jauron. Apparently the Bills front office buys both since they game him an extension.

Here's his record:

1994 1-5

1995 7-9

1996 8-8

1997 8-8

1998 8-8

1999 13-3

2000 13-3

2001 7-9

2002 11-5

2003 12-4

2004 5-11

2005 4-12

2006 8-8

2007 10-6

2008 so far undefeated.

My point?

WE'RE NOT DOOMED!!

Big difference to me is that I thought Fisher was a talent from the beginning. Jauron has had 'LOSER' stamped on his forehead in big ugly letters from the first in my mind. Leopards don't change their spots and neither will Jauron...way too set in his ineffectual ways.

Yeah, I said compare his first three years, not this year. :blink:

It's fun to do, I guess, but I really don't care 'bout that stuff. I do care 'bout the team I've rooted for going on 3 decades now possibly being not one iota improved over the past 2 seasons. The O line is having problems moving people off the ball. The D line gets little to no rush. The tight end is missing. The wide receivers get open occasionally, and drop passes when they do find themselves open. Injuries are hitting the core of the team, and a team that was once known for its tenacity and grit, not to mention its toughness in bone chilling weather, looks somewhat disinterested out there @ times. Maybe this stuff will go away in another 3 years (which I guess will put us @ 12 years out of the postseason?), or maybe it will only get worse. They can solve the problems, but it's going to take more than "we just gotta make plays"; it's going to take a serious committment to upgrading the pass rush and the interior O line for starters.

Your premise is that if the Bills stay with a head coach they will eventually achieve a very good record and the premise is based on a sample of 1 coach. I'm not sold on your conclusion or Jauron. Apparently the Bills front office buys both since they game him an extension.

Sig. :blink:

Now let's see the list of coaches who were in the 19-22 range, washed out and were never again as a NFL head coach. Bet it's longer than your list.

That isn't the point.

Its the people who want Jauron canned who speak in absolutes...i.e., "Jauron is a loser and will never be successful."

The people who are happy Jauron was extended tend to speak more moderately. For example, "Jauron could be a good coach, as he's done a decent job so far."

A list like this just shows that there's precedent for someone to perform similarly to Jauron at the beginning of his tenure, and later on have real success with that team. Its far from proof that Jauron will take us where we want to go, but I think it does indicate that some of the pessimism around here is unfounded, based on his performance to date.

That isn't the point.

Its the people who want Jauron canned who speak in absolutes...i.e., "Jauron is a loser and will never be successful."

The people who are happy Jauron was extended tend to speak more moderately. For example, "Jauron could be a good coach, as he's done a decent job so far."

A list like this just shows that there's precedent for someone to perform similarly to Jauron at the beginning of his tenure, and later on have real success with that team. Its far from proof that Jauron will take us where we want to go, but I think it does indicate that some of the pessimism around here is unfounded, based on his performance to date.

THANK YOU!! That's exactly my point! :blink:

IIRC, Jeff Fisher saved his job in the latter half of 2006 when VY and the Titans went 6-1 in their final 7 contests. In that stretch, Tennessee defeated Indy, Jacksonville (division games I might add) Philly, the Giants, and a certain Buffalo Bills team that should have defeated them. The Titans started 0-5 that season, yet finshed 8-8 and defeated three playoff teams in the process. All of this with Young, who has probably started his final game as a NFL QB.

While Jauron and Fisher are former NFL DB's, the similarities end there. Coaching careers are far different. By the end of 2008, Fisher will have won 10+ games in 6 of 15 seasons, including this year . Jauron has 1 out of 8. Go ahead and blame players, but Fisher's teams do the things needed to win games. Stout defense, a strong OL and running game along with not turning the ball over are what Fisher teams do well. His teams have made the playoffs 5 times in 14 seasons, and barring a complete disaster, will do so this year as a top seed.

He also finds a way to get good coordinators, which has been DJ's number 1 failure since he became a HC. Gary Crowton, John Shoop, and Steve Fairchild have been banished to the college ranks for a reason - they weren't capable OC's.

Nice try.

Here's his record:

1994 1-5

1995 7-9

1996 8-8

1997 8-8

1998 8-8

1999 13-3

2000 13-3

2001 7-9

2002 11-5

2003 12-4

2004 5-11

2005 4-12

2006 8-8

2007 10-6

2008 so far undefeated.

My point?

WE'RE NOT DOOMED!!

5-4, one game out of first, fire them all!!! :blink:

Good post. Too bad to many people gotta be smart@sses. Jauron has sucked the last few weeks, but there are still 7 games left to change a season. Of course, they are many here rooting for him to fail so they can be right. Go Bills!!!

IIRC, Jeff Fisher saved his job in the latter half of 2006 when VY and the Titans went 6-1 in their final 7 contests. In that stretch, Tennessee defeated Indy, Jacksonville (division games I might add) Philly, the Giants, and a certain Buffalo Bills team that should have defeated them. The Titans started 0-5 that season, yet finshed 8-8 and defeated three playoff teams in the process. All of this with Young, who has probably started his final game as a NFL QB.

While Jauron and Fisher are former NFL DB's, the similarities end there. Coaching careers are far different. By the end of 2008, Fisher will have won 10+ games in 6 of 15 seasons, including this year . Jauron has 1 out of 8. Go ahead and blame players, but Fisher's teams do the things needed to win games. Stout defense, a strong OL and running game along with not turning the ball over are what Fisher teams do well. His teams have made the playoffs 5 times in 14 seasons, and barring a complete disaster, will do so this year as a top seed.

He also finds a way to get good coordinators, which has been DJ's number 1 failure since he became a HC. Gary Crowton, John Shoop, and Steve Fairchild have been banished to the college ranks for a reason - they weren't capable OC's.

Nice try.

If you thought the Titans were firing Fisher, you don't know anything. Teams that are consistent winners don't listen to cry baby, overreacting fans.

If you thought the Titans were firing Fisher, you don't know anything. Teams that are consistent winners don't listen to cry baby, overreacting fans.

Fisher's previous two seasons (2004 and 2005) resulted in 5-11 and 4-12 records. Had Fisher duplicated that in 06, his rear end would have been gone, rookie QB or not.

Only in Buffalo, Detroit, and Cincinnati does mediocrity get rewarded.

Fisher's previous two seasons (2004 and 2005) resulted in 5-11 and 4-12 records. Had Fisher duplicated that in 06, his rear end would have been gone, rookie QB or not.

Only in Buffalo, Detroit, and Cincinnati does mediocrity get rewarded.

9-23 is more Greggo than Jauron, of course.

9-23 is more Greggo than Jauron, of course.

SD-perhaps SU should retain Greg Robinson because he hasn't had enough time either? BBB, how about it? I mean, GR's only had a four seasons and they played Louisville tough, right? Head coaches should have at least five seasons, regardless of record. The problem is they don't have the right players at SU, and GR's trying real hard. Let's give him another year or two to right the ship!

SD-perhaps SU should retain Greg Robinson because he hasn't had enough time either? BBB, how about it? I mean, GR's only had a four seasons and they played Louisville tough, right? Head coaches should have at least five seasons, regardless of record. The problem is they don't have the right players at SU, and GR's trying real hard. Let's give him another year or two to right the ship!

:blink::unsure::blink: