High School Level Play at 2 positions is killing this team right now

Big Turk

I have seen some bad offensive lineman in my time, but to see the absolute high school level play, for lack of better words, by Preston/Fowler and Chambers/Whittle is just mind boggling. Just how did these guys make it onto the active roster? Its not just bad---its pathetic. These guys are getting beaten to the point where you just want to go up to the other guy and tell him to cut it out because its just not fair. They look so ridiculous trying to block their opposing players, its almost comical. Its like the kid growing up whose parents forced them to play sports, even though they had no athletic talent, and then they got put in the game and everyone loved to play against them because they were so bad. They work really hard, but you can tell, they just aren't any good. These guys are consistently blocking the sides and backs of their opponents and half the time are falling over because their guys are by them so fast, they lose their balance trying to block and fall forward before catching their balance.

This isn't a joke---go back and watch them attempting to run block in the last 3 or 4 games...I almost started laughing. Among the funniest things I noticed(well, not really funny since I am a Bills fan) was that Preston actually was blocking players INTO the hole numerous times because he had no ability to lock on or sustain a block, and when the player started moving towards where the play was headed, he kept pushing them---only it was right into where the hole was supposed to be. However, the funniest thing was when Preston and Chambers attempted to execute a double team block on Wilfork. Wilfork beat Preston to the inside quickly, causing Preston to lose his balance. Chambers lunged after him to no avail, and both players chased him as he met Lynch 2 or 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage and made the tackle, at which point both Preston and Chambers ran into the pile and fell over it. It was a total Keystone Kops moment where the cops fall all over themselves trying to catch the bad guys. This stuff would be comical if the Bills weren't paying these guys to be professional athletes and perform at a high level. I can understand getting beaten once in a while---it happens to even the best. To get beat on, literally, and I am in no way joking here because I actually watched every running play closely, half----not 1 or 2 plays a game---HALF the running plays resulting an opposing player to be in the backfield before Lynch hits the LOS, is just a freaking joke. This is like a bad high school player trying to play against a really good one...this stuff should not be happening in the NFL. The fact that these guys are suited up and starting in an NFL game is making me sick to my stomach....we could find guys off the street who would do better than that. It almost makes you wish you could have Tuten Rayes, Mike Gandy, Trey Teague or Bennie Anderson back----I don't ever remember them getting beat that badly with such regularity....I know our running game was a lot better then....

I have seen some bad offensive lineman in my time, but to see the absolute high school level play, for lack of better words, by Preston/Fowler and Chambers/Whittle is just mind boggling. Just how did these guys make it onto the active roster? Its not just bad---its pathetic. These guys are getting beaten to the point where you just want to go up to the other guy and tell him to cut it out because its just not fair. They look so ridiculous trying to block their opposing players, its almost comical. Its like the kid growing up whose parents forced them to play sports, even though they had no athletic talent, and then they got put in the game and everyone loved to play against them because they were so bad. They work really hard, but you can tell, they just aren't any good. These guys are consistently blocking the sides and backs of their opponents and half the time are falling over because their guys are by them so fast, they lose their balance trying to block and fall forward before catching their balance.

This isn't a joke---go back and watch them attempting to run block in the last 3 or 4 games...I almost started laughing. Among the funniest things I noticed(well, not really funny wince I am a Bills fan) was that Preston actually was blocking players INTO the hole numerous times because he had no ability to lock on or sustain a block, and when the player started moving towards where the play was headed, he kept pushing them---only it was right into where the hole was supposed to be. However, the funniest thing was when Preston and Chambers attempted to execute a double team block on Wilfork. Wilfork beat Preston to the inside quickly, causing Preston to lose his balance. Chambers lunged after him to no avail, and both players chased him as he met Lynch 2 or 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage and made the tackle, at which point both Preston and Chambers ran into the pile and fell over it. It was a total Keystone Kops moment where the cops fall all over themselves trying to catch the bad guys. This stuff would be comical if the Bills weren't paying these guys to be professional athletes and perform at a high level. I can understand getting beaten once in a while---it happens to even the best. To get beat on, literally, and I am in no way joking here because I actually watched every running play closely, half----not 1 or 2 plays a game---HALF the running plays resulting an opposing player to be in the backfield before Lynch hits the LOS, is just a freaking joke. This is like a bad high school player trying to play against a really good one...this stuff should not be happening in the NFL. The fact that these guys are suited up and starting in an NFL game is making me sick to my stomach....we could find guys off the street who would do better than that. It almost makes you wish you could have Tuten Rayes, Mike Gandy, Trey Teague or Bennie Anderson back----I don't ever remember them getting beat that badly with such regularity....I know our running game was a lot better then....

SOS...Dusty Ziegler...SOS.

when brad butler is the savior, you know there are serious issues....

You realize that running through the holes adjacent to Butler's Right Guard slot last year, Lynch carried for more yards per carry than any other back in the league over the right guard spot? :rolleyes:

You realize that running through the holes adjacent to Butler's Right Guard slot last year, Lynch carried for more yards per carry than any other back in the league over the right guard spot? :rolleyes:

Did you watch Butler before his injury this year?

I'm hoping he can help, too...but he's hardly a savior. Things will get better when he returns, but in the offseason we need to upgrade both center and right guard.

How about we just wait for Brad Butler to get back? We could do that or we could all have a mass suicide at the Peace Bridge? You choose.

Amen.

Preston is what he is at this point - even when he's bad he is still an upgrade over Fowler - but I'm much more concerned about Whittle and Dockery and the general play of our guards, especially over the last two games.

This isn't a joke---go back and watch them attempting to run block in the last 3 or 4 games...I almost started laughing. Among the funniest things I noticed(well, not really funny since I am a Bills fan) was that Preston actually was blocking players INTO the hole numerous times because he had no ability to lock on or sustain a block, and when the player started moving towards where the play was headed, he kept pushing them---only it was right into where the hole was supposed to be. However, the funniest thing was when Preston and Chambers attempted to execute a double team block on Wilfork. Wilfork beat Preston to the inside quickly, causing Preston to lose his balance. Chambers lunged after him to no avail, and both players chased him as he met Lynch 2 or 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage and made the tackle, at which point both Preston and Chambers ran into the pile and fell over it. It was a total Keystone Kops moment where the cops fall all over themselves trying to catch the bad guys. This stuff would be comical if the Bills weren't paying these guys to be professional athletes and perform at a high level. I can understand getting beaten once in a while---it happens to even the best. To get beat on, literally, and I am in no way joking here because I actually watched every running play closely, half----not 1 or 2 plays a game---HALF the running plays resulting an opposing player to be in the backfield before Lynch hits the LOS, is just a freaking joke. This is like a bad high school player trying to play against a really good one...this stuff should not be happening in the NFL. The fact that these guys are suited up and starting in an NFL game is making me sick to my stomach....we could find guys off the street who would do better than that. It almost makes you wish you could have Tuten Rayes, Mike Gandy, Trey Teague or Bennie Anderson back----I don't ever remember them getting beat that badly with such regularity....I know our running game was a lot better then....

Dude its not funny....its kinda sad :rolleyes:

Kris Jenkins also had his way,the bills O-line were his bitches.

There are other factors to consider.The Bills OC is calling the strangest plays at the most inopportune times,like shotgun on third and one.. THREE FRIKKIN TIMES against the pats and all went incomplete.Schonert is putting Trent is some plays its difficult to succeed in.

The Offense has no running game,again Schonert calls shotgun on first down and then I formation run on second down and 10,makes no sense.

The troubles start at the top. We have one of the worst owners in sports. I've watched the Bills since 1964. You can name our successful General Managers on two fingers;(1) Bill Polian; (2) Whomever led the team in the mid 60's. That's it.

One forgets, or is too young to know, or remember the futility of this team from the late 1960's to the early 1980's. You want to see bad? Check the drafts and the won-loss record during all of the 70's. In those days Wilson had Harvey Johnson running the team. A joke. Modrak has been running the draft since Donahue came in. Look at his abysmal record; i.e. Mike Williams, JP Losman,. How do you take Marshawn Lynch over Adrian Peterson? Lynch is good, but Peterson is spectacular. If you are going to draft a running back, you better move up and draft the right guy. (perhaps they tried, I don't know). The same thing happened with Patrick Willis (San Francisco grabbed him just before we picked) and Paul Polsluzny.

Dick Jauron was laughed out of Chicago. In short, he had no answers as to why his teams failed. He had one good year and the rest were poor. I listened to 3 years of talk radio criticism of him. His schooling, and "gentleman personality" had no bearing on his poor coaching. He went through offensive coordinators like a "lady of the night goes through motel doors". It was non-stop. Each time a coordinator was replaced with someone as poorly qualified as his predecessor.

When they discuss how nice a guy is, instead of how he wins, you have a problem on your hands. I'm interested in winning, not making friends on the field. Give me the guy with the funny hair-sprayed hair, or the fat guy running the team in Miami. They are winners, not "nice-guys". By the way, Lou Saban, our only coach to actually win a championship (in fact 2x), was not a nice guy.

Finally, don't forget that our chief line coach retired this year, and his assistant was named his replacement.

where's the Mouse?

The troubles start at the top. We have one of the worst owners in sports. I've watched the Bills since 1964. You can name our successful General Managers on two fingers;(1) Bill Polian; (2) Whomever led the team in the mid 60's. That's it.

One forgets, or is too young to know, or remember the futility of this team from the late 1960's to the early 1980's. You want to see bad? Check the drafts and the won-loss record during all of the 70's. In those days Wilson had Harvey Johnson running the team. A joke. Modrak has been running the draft since Donahue came in. Look at his abysmal record; i.e. Mike Williams, JP Losman,. How do you take Marshawn Lynch over Adrian Peterson? Lynch is good, but Peterson is spectacular. If you are going to draft a running back, you better move up and draft the right guy. (perhaps they tried, I don't know). The same thing happened with Patrick Willis (San Francisco grabbed him just before we picked) and Paul Polsluzny.

Dick Jauron was laughed out of Chicago. In short, he had no answers as to why his teams failed. He had one good year and the rest were poor. I listened to 3 years of talk radio criticism of him. His schooling, and "gentleman personality" had no bearing on his poor coaching. He went through offensive coordinators like a "lady of the night goes through motel doors". It was non-stop. Each time a coordinator was replaced with someone as poorly qualified as his predecessor.

When they discuss how nice a guy is, instead of how he wins, you have a problem on your hands. I'm interested in winning, not making friends on the field. Give me the guy with the funny hair-sprayed hair, or the fat guy running the team in Miami. They are winners, not "nice-guys". By the way, Lou Saban, our only coach to actually win a championship (in fact 2x), was not a nice guy.

Finally, don't forget that our chief line coach retired this year, and his assistant was named his replacement.

While I admit Mr Ralph Wilson had fishooks in his pockets for the longest time...I still admire him. He did after all hire Bill Polian and the Bills did manage to go to four straight super bowls under him.

...COUGH How many times have the Cleveland browns been to the super bowl ?COUGH...

They made fun of Marv Levy when he was first hired as the Bills head coach,he used the "wing T" at Kansas City while he was head coach.Now he is in the hall of fame!

The problem with the Bills is the head coach is only as good as his assistants, remember Marv hired some great ones.Like Ted Marchibroda to run the offense!!!

The Bills have two rookie coaches in key positions atm, Turk Schonert Offensive coordinator and Sean Kugler Offensive Line Coach and it is showing big time :rolleyes:

I hate the BS Bills had the "highest rushing average behind RG" quote. That grading system is horsesh** because Butler (if you watch him with your own two eyes) does not get any push whatsoever!!! RG is a totally need position heading into next year AS USUAL.......... :wub::D:rolleyes:

I've been pointing this out since last year. It truly was a miracle Lynch got 1000 yards in just 14 games. And remember, that's when the QB position was in flux.

Those yards were all on Marshawn and had nothing to do with the "competency" of the line.

Dude its not funny....its kinda sad :wub:

I agree the result was kinda sad, but to watch the way Preston and Chambers tried so hard and ended up just looking so bad was actually funny...like I said, it reminded me in high school of the kid who had no athletic talent but gave it his all, while the star player playing against him just toyed with him....

Did you watch Butler before his injury this year?

I'm hoping he can help, too...but he's hardly a savior. Things will get better when he returns, but in the offseason we need to upgrade both center and right guard.

Maybe Dockery belongs there. He is playing very soft this year, but he is big enough to be a bruiser. Perhaps.....just maybe we can draft a strong, mean, athletic player to plug in at left guard.

I was thinking that too Bill (drafting a G) but I just don't know how high we'll be able to afford to with so many needs. I don't see any quality DT's in the draft so I'd add a DT and LB in free agency, and draftwise go DE, C, TE, and G. I'm praying a day 1 guard falls to that pick. I'd love to move Dockery to the right side, but with so many needs, that's the best plan for one offseason IMO.

Greadt post, but I think that a good center covers up a lot. Great guards are a luxury, and Dockery is better than average when paired with a decent center. Butler is fine, even if he isn't the greatest player in the world. The Bills center situation is truly dreadful. They don't have anyone who can play.

What did happen to Fowler? is he injured? obviously he wasnt beat out of the position

Maybe Dockery belongs there. He is playing very soft this year, but he is big enough to be a bruiser. Perhaps.....just maybe we can draft a strong, mean, athletic player to plug in at left guard.

Well, Dockery certainly isn't playing up to potential, but his man is rarely in the backfield either. He tends to kind of dance with his guy at the LOS, neither really pushing him back much but not getting pushed back either....

However, for a guy that was considered one of the best run blocking guards when he was with the Redskins and was given what amounts to one of biggest compliments you can get at his position, being called a "road grader" by various scouts, his play is pretty disappointing...

Well, Dockery certainly isn't playing up to potential, but his man is rarely in the backfield either. He tends to kind of dance with his guy at the LOS, neither really pushing him back much but not getting pushed back either....

However, for a guy that was considered one of the best run blocking guards when he was with the Redskins and was given what amounts to one of biggest compliments you can get at his position, being called a "road grader" by various scouts, his play is pretty disappointing...

A really bad center creates a domino effect that makes otherwise good players playing an adjacent position look bad ...