What's a couple trillion among friends

/dev/null

The Fed's lending is significant because the central bank has stepped into a rescue role that was also the purpose of the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP, bailout plan -- without safeguards put into the TARP legislation by Congress.

You know, I can't wait until things get bad enough that they need a "department" to run that "program".

Because Troubled Asset Relief Department would be just far too appropriate.

Hope you didn't miss this one: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews

"The sweeping change to two decades of tax policy escaped the notice of lawmakers for several days, as they remained consumed with the controversial bailout bill. When they found out, some legislators were furious. Some congressional staff members have privately concluded that the notice was illegal. But they have worried that saying so publicly could unravel several recent bank mergers made possible by the change and send the economy into an even deeper tailspin.

"Did the Treasury Department have the authority to do this? I think almost every tax expert would agree that the answer is no," said George K. Yin, the former chief of staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the nonpartisan congressional authority on taxes. "They basically repealed a 22-year-old law that Congress passed as a backdoor way of providing aid to banks."

The best part of the op's article:

President-elect Barack Obama's economic adviser, Jason Furman, also didn't respond to an e-mail and a phone call seeking comment from Obama. In a Sept. 22 campaign speech, Obama promised to ``make our government open and transparent so that anyone can ensure that our business is the people's business.''

Promising to have the most transparent administration is code for "we are going to lie, cheat, and steal at will, we will tell them nothing".

My prediction: Mr. Wonderful will bomb more country's and steal more tax dollars than any administration in history. As we have witnessed in the past, congress will do nothing, as they continue to do nothing with regards to arresting the criminals.

You know, I can't wait until things get bad enough that they need a "department" to run that "program".

Because Troubled Asset Relief Department would be just far too appropriate.

Once things get bad enough to need a "department" they'll need a Secretary of said department

Hope you didn't miss this one: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews

"The sweeping change to two decades of tax policy escaped the notice of lawmakers for several days, as they remained consumed with the controversial bailout bill. When they found out, some legislators were furious. Some congressional staff members have privately concluded that the notice was illegal. But they have worried that saying so publicly could unravel several recent bank mergers made possible by the change and send the economy into an even deeper tailspin.

"Did the Treasury Department have the authority to do this? I think almost every tax expert would agree that the answer is no," said George K. Yin, the former chief of staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the nonpartisan congressional authority on taxes. "They basically repealed a 22-year-old law that Congress passed as a backdoor way of providing aid to banks."

The best part of the op's article:

President-elect Barack Obama's economic adviser, Jason Furman, also didn't respond to an e-mail and a phone call seeking comment from Obama. In a Sept. 22 campaign speech, Obama promised to ``make our government open and transparent so that anyone can ensure that our business is the people's business.''

Promising to have the most transparent administration is code for "we are going to lie, cheat, and steal at will, we will tell them nothing".

My prediction: Mr. Wonderful will bomb more country's and steal more tax dollars than any administration in history. As we have witnessed in the past, congress will do nothing, as they continue to do nothing with regards to arresting the criminals.

Bookmarked so I can heckle the conservatives when they emulate your post.

Conservatives: Cry, B word and moan over welfare and distribution of (rich people's) wealth...but don't blink an eye when the current sitting administration (Bush, in case you forgot) hands banks $700 Billion of OUR money so said banks can buy other banks in order to (illegally) dodge paying taxes.

They are so consumed with hate for Obama they don't even pay attention when their own party is raping them.

PTR

Conservatives: Cry, B word and moan over welfare and distribution of (rich people's) wealth...but don't blink an eye when the current sitting administration (Bush, in case you forgot) hands banks $700 Billion of OUR money so said banks can buy other banks in order to (illegally) dodge paying taxes.

They are so consumed with hate for Obama they don't even pay attention when their own party is raping them.

PTR

That's actually not how the $700B is going to be used. The mechanics of the bailout were discussed here a lot a while back, if you want to use the search function...

...he says, as though it's going to make any difference.

And a heirarchy.

I want in on that. I want my title to be "Deputy Undersecretary of TARD". :lol:

But you are such an expert?

Why would you want to accept some low paying government position when you could take your lifelong expertise and start a TARD think tank :wallbash:?

I kid

But you are such an expert?

Why would you want to accept some low paying government position when you could take your lifelong expertise and start a TARD think tank :nana:?

I kid

I think that already exists. It's called the 'Niners offense. :lol: Is anyone else watching this game? Shawn Hill just mishandled a snap like he was trying to juggle a live trout.

That's actually not how the $700B is going to be used. The mechanics of the bailout were discussed here a lot a while back, if you want to use the search function...

Hmmm...the mechanics of the bailout as dicussed here...vs. the actual use of it....as if paulson is reading ppp.... :lol:

The politics sub-forum of the Buffalo Bills message board is definitely the first place that I'd look when trying learn more about the mechanics of the bailout.