Anyone buy groceries lately?

blzrul

I seriously wonder how families are surviving these days. I just went to Costco and cannot believe the prices. We only shop there once a month; we buy our meat and produce somewhere else. But I noted that toilet paper is up $3; olive oil $5; bread, $1.50 ... etc. These aren't luxuries - I didn't even look at those.

Thinking of people with a couple of kids who make even $50-60k per year, that can't go far. Gas was $2.29 a gallon at least.

What is everyone else seeing?

I seriously wonder how families are surviving these days. I just went to Costco and cannot believe the prices. We only shop there once a month; we buy our meat and produce somewhere else. But I noted that toilet paper is up $3; olive oil $5; bread, $1.50 ... etc. These aren't luxuries - I didn't even look at those.

Thinking of people with a couple of kids who make even $50-60k per year, that can't go far. Gas was $2.29 a gallon at least.

What is everyone else seeing?

Maid had the day off? :w00t:

The prices are reflecting the high gas prices from this summer. I heard Wegman's actually lowered some prices this week.

Also prices for animal feed and corn based products went up because of the push for using ethanol.

Mostly angry about meat...nothing good has been on sale for months. Used to have London Broil on sale for $1.99/lb....hard to find it for even $2.99. My wife had to pay $4/lb for cubed stew chuck meat the other day, had no choice.

We don't eat that much meat and I'm pretty good at using leftovers...fortunately my husband and daughter are not that fussy about what they eat. Their mantra is "if I don't have to cook it, then I can't complain".

I have started making more stuff at home, like pasta, bread and even ice cream. I can get 1/2 gal of heavy cream for $4 and that churns out a lot of ice cream as opposed to paying $3-5 a pint for stuff in the store.

The best buys are in things like dried peas, bean, rice etc. You can make some pretty tasty and healthy stuff from those, but a lot of people find the thought daunting. It's pretty simple as long as you don't forget to soak the beans overnight the night before....

I paid $20 for toilet paper yesterday! Yowzaa! And $22 for not-so-good olive oil, that has SHOT up.

Living in Seattle we're used to plentiful fish, but that has gone way up too. Dungeness crab is local so it's still reasonable, I can get a 1.5-pound crab for $7. I didn't buy one - my brother has crab pots and I'm gonna mooch a crab or two from him.

WTF? What is it, gold leaf? About 11.99 (50-60 cents a roll) for 12 rolls (on sale) Scott, 1000 sheet.

:devil:

Did you see how lobster is at an almost an all-time low.

No, it's one of those huge warehouse packages .... but it used to cost $13.