Time to Clean House and Start Over

H2o

This experiment with our team hasn't worked. It hasn't worked since we made the move for Takeo Spikes and Drew Bledsoe. We thought it was Donahoe, but it wasn't all his fault. Levy came in to "right the ship", but that hasn't worked either. We have some quality players at key positions on our team. I say we clear out the rest and build behind all of the players that I'm about to name. On offense we should keep Edwards, Lynch, Jackson, Evans, Parrish, Hardy, Steve Johnson, Peters, Walker, Chambers, and Fine. I say keep Hardy, Johnson, Chambers, and Fine because those guys are young and could develope. I say clear out the rest. All of them. On defense we should keep Stroud, Kyle Williams, Mitchell, Posluszny, Whitner, McGee, Greer, Corner, Simpson, and McKelvin. I say keep McKelvin, Corner, and Simpson because they're all young, can develope, and are useful in ST in one way or another. Clear out the rest. We also need to clear out the whole coaching staff, minus Schonert and Bobby April. We all know what we're going to get from the rest of the coaches. I don't know if Schonert's been given a fighting chance just yet. April is clearly one of the best at what he does and we should keep him. We shouldn't just go out and release all of the players though. We should try to get compensation wherever possible via trades. Not sure how much we'd get, but atleast try to get something in return for players like Schoebel, Dockery, Kelsay, and whoever else anyone would bite on. More than likely we would have to release most of them.

As far as coaches, I say we go after Titans DC Jim Schwartz for the head coaching job. He's clearly proven his merit in Tennessee coaching that defense over the last 8 seasons. He is a good, young coach that could head up a defensive staff. His ability to coach defense is why the Titans are the only undefeated team left in the NFL this year. I think we give Schonert a couple of years on offense before making a decision on him. Jauron and Fewell though, have to be cleared out of the way.

Here's a list of FA's after this season that I think we should be trying to land as well as possible draft picks. Let's start with WR. T.J. Houshmandzadeh should be high on the list. The rest are all players like any we already have. Housh is a proven player in this league and would be an immediate help while others can have time to develope (i.e. Hardy and Johnson). TE's? We could take a shot on Leonard Pope who has good size and decent ability at the position, but is young and unproven. This is a need that should be addressed in the draft. OL? We could go after C Matt Birk or Jason Brown to fill that need, T Jordan Gross or Mark Taucher to play opposite of Peters, move Walker to a G position, and go after G Stacy Andrews or Jahri Evans to play opposite of Walker. Depending on how the chips would fall in FA, we should address our needs in the draft for the remaining OL. On defense, it would depend on what style of defense we were attempting to play and whom the coach would be. Here's a list of players that I'd possibly like to see in a Bills uni on defense. I think our main objective should be persuing a player like Terrell Suggs. He's a beast of a pass rusher and a potential game changer every time he's on the field. I think he'd play well at DE in a 4-3. DE is surely a position that needs to be addressed in the draft. At LB we could go after Bart Scott, but he'll be 29 next season. We could also go after Michael Boley who's played well for Atlanta the last couple of seasons, but he lacks ideal size. Channing Crowder could also be a good candidate for us to make a run at. He could play the MLB or the ROLB position. LB is a spot that we should address EARLY in the draft going after Rey Maualuga of USC, Brian Cushing of USC, or Aaron Curry of Wake Forest. If we got Maualuga, then we could move Posluszny to the ROLB position. Either of the other two LB's would mean keeping Posluszny in the MLB spot. At the S position, we could go after Sean Jones of Cleveland or Otogwe from St. Louis. I think this is another spot we should hit early in the draft along with LB and DE. I personally think that Whitner would better serve as a FS because he reminds me alot of a young Brian Dawkins. I think that we should be looking for a SS in the draft. Maybe a player like Taylor Mays of USC or William Moore of Mizzou. I think we could have a very solid group at CB. Greer has played well over the last couple of years and McGee is already proven. We also have Corner, who surprised this year in the preseason, and McKelvin who was deemed the best player at the position coming out of college. With Greer we see that it can take a couple of years to come into your own at this position. Now if we can land Gamble or Asomugha, I say we let Greer walk. If not, we should try and retain him. This is not a spot that we need to spend early draft picks on again though.

All of this can be fixed, but I think we need to stop kidding ourselves about our team and hope the organization does what needs to be done here.

This experiment with our team hasn't worked. It hasn't worked since we made the move for Takeo Spikes and Drew Bledsoe. We thought it was Donahoe, but it wasn't all his fault. Levy came in to "right the ship", but that hasn't worked either. We have some quality players at key positions on our team. I say we clear out the rest and build behind all of the players that I'm about to name. On offense we should keep Edwards, Lynch, Jackson, Evans, Parrish, Hardy, Steve Johnson, Peters, Walker, Chambers, and Fine. I say keep Hardy, Johnson, Chambers, and Fine because those guys are young and could develope. I say clear out the rest. All of them. On defense we should keep Stroud, Kyle Williams, Mitchell, Posluszny, Whitner, McGee, Greer, Corner, Simpson, and McKelvin. I say keep McKelvin, Corner, and Simpson because they're all young, can develope, and are useful in ST in one way or another. Clear out the rest. We also need to clear out the whole coaching staff, minus Schonert and Bobby April. We all know what we're going to get from the rest of the coaches. I don't know if Schonert's been given a fighting chance just yet. April is clearly one of the best at what he does and we should keep him. We shouldn't just go out and release all of the players though. We should try to get compensation wherever possible via trades. Not sure how much we'd get, but atleast try to get something in return for players like Schoebel, Dockery, Kelsay, and whoever else anyone would bite on. More than likely we would have to release most of them.

As far as coaches, I say we go after Titans DC Jim Schwartz for the head coaching job. He's clearly proven his merit in Tennessee coaching that defense over the last 8 seasons. He is a good, young coach that could head up a defensive staff. His ability to coach defense is why the Titans are the only undefeated team left in the NFL this year. I think we give Schonert a couple of years on offense before making a decision on him. Jauron and Fewell though, have to be cleared out of the way.

Here's a list of FA's after this season that I think we should be trying to land as well as possible draft picks. Let's start with WR. T.J. Houshmandzadeh should be high on the list. The rest are all players like any we already have. Housh is a proven player in this league and would be an immediate help while others can have time to develope (i.e. Hardy and Johnson). TE's? We could take a shot on Leonard Pope who has good size and decent ability at the position, but is young and unproven. This is a need that should be addressed in the draft. OL? We could go after C Matt Birk or Jason Brown to fill that need, T Jordan Gross or Mark Taucher to play opposite of Peters, move Walker to a G position, and go after G Stacy Andrews or Jahri Evans to play opposite of Walker. Depending on how the chips would fall in FA, we should address our needs in the draft for the remaining OL. On defense, it would depend on what style of defense we were attempting to play and whom the coach would be. Here's a list of players that I'd possibly like to see in a Bills uni on defense. I think our main objective should be persuing a player like Terrell Suggs. He's a beast of a pass rusher and a potential game changer every time he's on the field. I think he'd play well at DE in a 4-3. DE is surely a position that needs to be addressed in the draft. At LB we could go after Bart Scott, but he'll be 29 next season. We could also go after Michael Boley who's played well for Atlanta the last couple of seasons, but he lacks ideal size. Channing Crowder could also be a good candidate for us to make a run at. He could play the MLB or the ROLB position. LB is a spot that we should address EARLY in the draft going after Rey Maualuga of USC, Brian Cushing of USC, or Aaron Curry of Wake Forest. If we got Maualuga, then we could move Posluszny to the ROLB position. Either of the other two LB's would mean keeping Posluszny in the MLB spot. At the S position, we could go after Sean Jones of Cleveland or Otogwe from St. Louis. I think this is another spot we should hit early in the draft along with LB and DE. I personally think that Whitner would better serve as a FS because he reminds me alot of a young Brian Dawkins. I think that we should be looking for a SS in the draft. Maybe a player like Taylor Mays of USC or William Moore of Mizzou. I think we could have a very solid group at CB. Greer has played well over the last couple of years and McGee is already proven. We also have Corner, who surprised this year in the preseason, and McKelvin who was deemed the best player at the position coming out of college. With Greer we see that it can take a couple of years to come into your own at this position. Now if we can land Gamble or Asomugha, I say we let Greer walk. If not, we should try and retain him. This is not a spot that we need to spend early draft picks on again though.

All of this can be fixed, but I think we need to stop kidding ourselves about our team and hope the organization does what needs to be done here.

Way to post this a half hour before kickoff of a game that can turn our season around for the better...

This has been a paid public announcement from General Managers-R-Us, sponsored by the "let's blow up the team every three seasons and start over again because our pants are itchy" coalition, in collaboration with "fans who play too much fantasy football-dot-com."

Calm down guys, I was doing my best Skip Bayless imitation. :rolleyes:

I really do believe what I said about the coaching staff and the players we should go after, but I don't see us needing to release everyone else. Just pissed off with our play over the last few weeks and don't like our coaching staff in general.

I wouldn't say we should start over. We have a really good nucleus. The players seem to like Jauron. We're amongst the youngest teams in the league, and there is a lot of talent here. Can't really help injuries, despite what some people may say, anyone can get injured at any given time, these guys are going out there and hitting each other at full speed. I think the first four games could have been a glimpse of what this team is capable of, and more.

Stupid idea. Really, really stupid. Because after 2 years and the bills are a .500 team, we'll have to read your dumbass post like this again.

Stupid idea. Really, really stupid. Because after 2 years and the bills are a .500 team, we'll have to read your dumbass post like this again.

Thanks "Todd" for your overwhelming insight into the situation and mind altering reasoning behind your statement :censored:

Clean house and start over!? This such a young team, with a coaching staff in only its third year. We're poised to win and be competitive for years. Many people said we were still a year away, and maybe they're right. But it's clear progress has/is being made.

Things haven't gone quite as hoped after the 4-0 start, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. The season is only half over, and you're already talking about a major shake-up. The only thing that needs a shake is your head.

We all want this team to do well. And I suspect you're just frustrated like many of us. But this is absolute nonsense.

Well to say start over, you're keeping 22 players which is half the team and about half the starters. All you're really recoomending is replace the positions that everyone has been saying are weak, offensive interior line, def end and outside LB. Not much of a change there. Most teams change 5 -10 players per year anyway. All you're really stating is get rid of the coaches, and very unlikely a new coach would keep the offensive coordinator anyway. However if you're going to bring in new coaches likely they will want differnet players, so you may as wel lget rid of the 22 you wanted t okeep too.

Well to say start over, you're keeping 22 players which is half the team and about half the starters. All you're really recoomending is replace the positions that everyone has been saying are weak, offensive interior line, def end and outside LB. Not much of a change there. Most teams change 5 -10 players per year anyway. All you're really stating is get rid of the coaches, and very unlikely a new coach would keep the offensive coordinator anyway. However if you're going to bring in new coaches likely they will want differnet players, so you may as wel lget rid of the 22 you wanted t okeep too.

21 players and getting rid of 32 out of 53 is a pretty significant change, I'd consider it starting over.