Will Bringing Losman In at QB Help the Bills?

I think this is the million dollar question and no one knows for sure, but the answer to me seems to be almost certainly not.

The main argument for doing this seems to be that cannot be worse than Bledsoe. True but so what as this is different than the question of whether bringing in this rookie will be good for the Bills. I think benching Bledsoe and starting Losman would no doub be good for the soap-opera fans who hate Bledsoe because he simply has played poorly. However, I really really alot really alot doubt that playing him would be good for the Bills or his development as a player who will help the Bills as our QB of the future.

1. There was good news that JP suited up for the first time in a while this week and practiced as our disaster QB last week. However, from all I hear he is still at least a couple of weeks away from really subjecting his fracture to the possibility of real hits (even from Troy Vincent not to mention real opponents). He is in good enough shape to man the #3 spot as disaster QB in our depth chart but will need to show some good stuff before he even challenges Mathews for the #2 spot. He was physically ready to put on a uniform but not to play yesterday. If Bledsoe and Matthews had both gone down, I would not have been surprised to see serious thought given to playing Eric Moulds at QB rather than JP and if JP played it would have been with play calls designed to protect him rather than to win.

2. Like any rookie, JP needs lots of things before he is a credible NFL QB (feel free to argue which particulars you feel make JP a credible NFL QB AND NOT simply that Bledsoe is not, we already know that). Playing at NFL speed in game situations is one of those things. However, all the indicators which I see indicate to me that he needs to learn the Bills and NFL offenses a lot more than he needs what he will get from game experience. Further, there are some bad mechanics he has which were exacerbated running for his life in Tulane which need to be worked out of him as a Pro.

JP needs to give some indication to me that his mental health is sound as well as his physical health is sound before I feel good about entrusting the team to him or turning to the playing at NFL speed part of his education rather than demanding he focus his limited (he is human afterall) amount of attention on the book learning and mechanics of being a credible NFL QB.

3. My sense is that at 1-5 with a few conference losses that the Bills should play to win until they are mathematically eliminated, but that it is clear that development for the future means more for them getting some Ws when it matters nextyear rather than racking up some Ws now that don't matter.

Thus, I am far more interested in the Bills taking strong steps to develop JP and the rest of the team to get Ws in the future that I am reluctant to risk that merely to get meaningless Ws this year. I think the QB position is different because as we have seen with the Bills development of Todd Collins, throwing a QB in before he is ready can have negative effects which neither produce immediate gains or much in terms of development.

I'd love it if anyone has seen any tangible evidence of JP working on and mastering the parts of his game which were not there when he was drafted did folks see him following Wyche around or sitting in the booth with him at games? Are their reports of JP taking home and watching tons of videotape, is the word from practice last week of JP showing a true command of knowing the offense and NFL tendencies and not simply testimony that he looked like a stud.

Folks do want to advocate starting JP saying that Bledsoe sucks. So what, tell me something that we all don't know. There needs to be clearer evidence of JP mastering the mental side of the game and solving his past mechanical problems before advicating that he start makes much sense for hm leadingthe Bills to put up a lot of Ws as our QB of the future.

Throwing him in now may make Ws more likely this year (even this is not guranteed and having him put up Ls may be negatve for his development) but even if it does so what as it will not make much of a difference for the team's outcomes in the big picture. Ws now are great. but his development as our QB of the future is the real picture.

Sry i didnt read your whole post...I'm just answering the question...

Will bringing in Losman help the Bills....?

Of course it will....In the long run having Losman out there, this year will give him experience and build chemistry, which will help him come out next year, with some needed experience, instead of basically being a rookie handed the job.....

at this point, I am not looking for W's as I think the season is toast. But if we are working so hard on this losing season, we might as well spend this time to get JP through his tough times as well. Soon, our D will be gone via FA. Just watch it dwindle. We need to start making changes now, not neccessarily to win this year, but to give us a fighting chance next year.

I think this is the million dollar question and no one knows for sure, but the answer to me seems to be almost certainly not.

The main argument for doing this seems to be that cannot be worse than Bledsoe. True but so what as this is different than the question of whether bringing in this rookie will be good for the Bills. I think benching Bledsoe and starting Losman would no doub be good for the soap-opera fans who hate Bledsoe because he simply has played poorly.  However, I really really alot really alot doubt that playing him would be good for the Bills or his development as a player who will help the Bills as our QB of the future.

1. There was good news that JP suited up for the first time in a while this week and practiced as our disaster QB last week.  However, from all I hear he is still at least a couple of weeks away from really subjecting his fracture to the possibility of real hits (even from Troy Vincent not to mention real opponents).  He is in good enough shape to man the #3 spot as disaster QB in our depth chart but will need to show some good stuff before he even challenges Mathews for the #2 spot.  He was physically ready to put on a uniform but not to play yesterday. If Bledsoe and Matthews had both gone down, I would not have been surprised to see serious thought given to playing Eric Moulds at QB rather than JP and if JP played it would have been with play calls designed to protect him rather than to win.

2. Like any rookie, JP needs lots of things before he is a credible NFL QB (feel free to argue which particulars you feel make JP a credible NFL QB AND NOT simply that Bledsoe is not, we already know that). Playing at NFL speed in game situations is one of those things.  However, all the indicators which I see indicate to me that he needs to learn the Bills and NFL offenses a lot more than he needs what he will get from game experience.  Further, there are some bad mechanics he has which were exacerbated running for his life in Tulane which need to be worked out of him as a Pro.

JP needs to give some indication to me that his mental health is sound as well as his physical health is sound before I feel good about entrusting the team to him or turning to the playing at NFL speed part of his education rather than demanding he focus his limited (he is human afterall) amount of attention on the book learning and mechanics of being a credible NFL QB.

3. My sense is that at 1-5 with a few conference losses that the Bills should play to win until they are mathematically eliminated, but that it is clear that development for the future means more for them getting some Ws when it matters nextyear rather than racking up some Ws now that don't matter.

Thus, I am far more interested in the Bills taking strong steps to develop JP and the rest of the team to get Ws in the future that I am reluctant to risk that merely to get meaningless Ws this year.  I think the QB position is different because as we have seen with the Bills development of Todd Collins, throwing a QB in before he is ready can have negative effects which neither produce immediate gains or much in terms of development.

I'd love it if anyone has seen any tangible evidence of JP working on and mastering the parts of his game which were not there when he was drafted did folks see him following Wyche around or sitting in the booth with him at games?  Are their reports of JP taking home and watching tons of videotape, is the word from practice last week of JP showing a true command of knowing the offense and NFL tendencies and not simply testimony that he looked like a stud.

Folks do want to advocate starting JP saying that Bledsoe sucks. So what, tell me something that we all don't know.  There needs to be clearer evidence of JP mastering the mental side of the game and solving his past mechanical problems before advicating that he start makes much sense for hm leadingthe Bills to put up a lot of Ws as our QB of the future.

Throwing him in now may make Ws more likely this year (even this is not guranteed and having him put up Ls may be negatve for his development) but even if it does so what as it will not make much of a difference for the team's outcomes in the big picture.  Ws now are great. but his development as our QB of the future is the real picture.

84768[/snapback]

Life is a risk. We have to play JP(if he's healthy) for one reason. To see if our problems really are Bledsoe related. That way we can make better decisions in the offseason. Cut Bledsoe, keep Bledsoe. JP makes the O-Line look better or it's the O-Line's fault. By playing JP we can get some answers.

Life is a risk. We have to play JP(if he's healthy) for one reason. To see if our problems really are Bledsoe related. That way we can make better decisions in the offseason. Cut Bledsoe, keep Bledsoe. JP makes the O-Line look better or it's the O-Line's fault. By playing JP we can get some answers.

84819[/snapback]

Good point.

Guest BillsRebound

The second that Losman is healthy enough, he should begin playing. At first, I believe he should be brought in for a couple of series a game. Then, if he performs well, you keep giving him more and more time and hopefully by the 4th or 5th game he is starting full time. He can't just be thrown out there for a whole game. Plus, if he starts to regress, it's not that big of a deal to give him less time. Even though Bledsoe is washed up, it would be in the Bills best interest to bring JP along slowly and make him earn his playing time.

Let's say JP didn't get hurt in the pre-season and he was named the starter for this season...at this point, how much worse could our season be? Answer: we could be one game behind where we are now, but our QB of the future would be getting reps. I don't even want to hear the "shake his confidence" arguement, JP is going to have to play behind a stevestojan line his entire career (seriously, does anybody think any differently?), he had better get used to it.

Let's say JP didn't get hurt in the pre-season and he was named the starter for this season...at this point, how much worse could our season be?  Answer: we could be one game behind where we are now, but our QB of the future would be getting reps.  I don't even want to hear the "shake his confidence" arguement, JP is going to have to play behind a stevestojan line his entire career (seriously, does anybody think any differently?), he had better get used to it.

84966[/snapback]

I am a Bledsoe supporter - but alas I think the time has come for JP. I don't think DB's ints were all his fault yesterday. WRs dropped balls and generally did not show up but JP has played behind stevestojan lines his whole college career. At least he has practice running...

Charles

I believe that to start, JP could be helpful in goal line situations, he would add a dimention down there that Drew does not bring.

84950[/snapback]

I agree that this would be a good way to ease him into the fold, and help the team at the same time.

Anyone who serves in a managerial capacity knows that it's simply about the "bottom line", therefore if this offense doesn't score AT ALL, then changes are called for! This team has NO identity, NO fire, NO playmakers, and NO direction. Obviously, the Buffalo Bills "corporate culture" must somehow make changes for the better. I don't buy the arguement that J.P. Losman might NOT be ready. Alan Faneca of the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't thing Ben Roethlesberger was ready either. So who's the expert here? Not Faneca! Play someone who will bring LIFE back to this weary, tired offense and have Mike Mularkey and staff prove their worth!

2 good reasons for having him play when he's ready.

1) Ultimately, the NFL is about entertainment. It is transparently clear from comments around here that most people would rather see JPL than Bledsoe.

2) MM & to a lesser extent TD have the job of providing 'production'. 4 offensive TDs in 6 weeks ain't much production. Granted, QB isn't the only cause, but look at it this way - QB is the one of the most important elements to production. It's one of the easiest to switch (i.e. the possible permutations for different OL combinations is mind-boggling) so what have you got to lose? Our offense is already just barely outscoring the opposing defense, what's it gonna come down to? Having the Dee tell the Oh, "just take a knee & bring in Moorman. This'll hold'em from scoring against you."

A comment was made by an earlier post that he thinks Losman should be given more time to learn the Buffalo offense before he plays? If he has to sit around and watch the Bills offense, there is nothing to learn because there isn't any offense. Keeping Losman on the bench to learn Buffalo's offense would be like having a nine month old baby observing a dead man's body in order to learn how to walk.