Who Will Be More Of A "Savior"

I do not blame one poster here for being pissed at the way Drew played yesterday. He was awful.

That said, I am seeing a trend here of people implying that all we need to do is plug Losman in there and our troubles are over. Sorry, not by a longshot. McNally was going to save the day too, right?

There are far too many non-talented players on offense.

On defense, talent seems to abound, so why all the third and long conversions? Could it be dumb coaching? :blush:

I agree with all of you who think that the Bills need new direction. It should start with a GM who has the guts to hire a true coaching staff. A GM who is competent to conduct an NFL draft for his team. One who will give the loyal Bills fans what they deserve, a team of tough guys.

I want to see JP as much as the next guy, but let him fully heal. He is NOT enough by himself to turn this mess around. Look at what TD gave up for him!

I would hate to see him join the growing list of qbs ruined by the Bills OL.

I do not blame one poster here for being pissed at the way Drew played yesterday. He was awful.

That said, I am seeing a trend here of people implying that all we need to do is plug Losman in there and our troubles are over. Sorry, not by a longshot. McNally was going to save the day too, right?

On defense, talent seems to abound, so why all the third and long conversions? Could it be dumb coaching?  :blush:

I agree with all of you who think that the Bills need new direction. It should start with a GM who has the guts to hire a true coaching staff. A GM who is competent to conduct an NFL draft for his team. One who will give the loyal Bills fans what they deserve, a team of tough guys.

I want to see JP as much as the next guy, but let him fully heal. He is NOT enough by himself to turn this mess around. Look at what TD gave up for him!

84306[/snapback]

There's no one 'savior' for the Bills. Getting a QB who's not dead every time a lineman makes a misread would be a start to improving the offense.

Starting a RB who isn't dead every time the planned hole isn't there, and can beat a guy or two for three more yards will make this offense better.

Playing a QB with some athleticism in the red zone will also make the offense better.

I'm not really worried about Mularkey yet. Del Rio started winless last season before benching his veteren for a rookie. Hopefully Mularkey will do the same this year.

It may not happen next year, but I think that Donahoe will be gone after the 2005 season - and I'm hoping that someone with a brain comes in to turn things around. (Let's hope Mr. Wilson is still alive by then.) Flame me all you like, but I also see Jim Haslett coming in to be the coach. Maybe then we'll have some hope of building a contender.

In the meantime, I will still refuse to watch this team under Bledsoe's "leadership".

It may not happen next year, but I think that Donahoe will be gone after the 2005 season - and I'm hoping that someone with a brain comes in to turn things around. (Let's hope Mr. Wilson is still alive by then.) Flame me all you like, but I also see Jim Haslett coming in to be the coach. Maybe then we'll have some hope of building a contender.

In the meantime, I will still refuse to watch this team under Bledsoe's "leadership".

84339[/snapback]

If Evans and McGahee continue to develop, and Losman sparks the offense, why would Donahoe be fired, especially if the defense continues to play well?

Just a correction. MacNally was on record before he was hired and several times afterward that he should not be viewed as a miracle worker (his words) or some sort of savior. Still, its the nature of entertainment today that some fans still insisted incorrectly on viewing JMac, JP, , TD, Bledsoe or MM as some sort of savior. I agree with you that looking for someone to be a savior is simply not going to happen. Its silly for folks to do this.

It's the easiest thing in the world to simply identify flaws and mistakes in a player, coaches or personel person's game because no matter how successful an individual is they are human and have them. It really gets illy to take a team as flawed as the Bills record is and to simply point out these failings and then to claim that the player, coach or personnel guy is a total idiot who can do nothing right.

TSW is at its best when folks do some credible analysis and point how not simply the flaws but suggest how to improve and win with the reality of what we got.

Just a correction.  MacNally was on record before he was hired and several times afterward that he should not be viewed as a miracle worker (his words) or some sort of savior.  Still, its the nature of entertainment today that some fans still insisted incorrectly on viewing JMac, JP, , TD, Bledsoe or MM as some sort of savior.  I agree with you that looking for someone to be a savior is simply not going to happen.  Its silly for folks to do this.

It's the easiest thing in the world to simply identify flaws and mistakes in a player, coaches or personel person's game because no matter how successful an individual is they are human and have them.  It really gets illy to take a team as flawed as the Bills record is and to simply point out these failings and then to claim that the player, coach or personnel guy is a total idiot who can do nothing right.

TSW is at its best when folks do some credible analysis and point how not simply the flaws but suggest how to improve and win with the reality of what we got.

84381[/snapback]

Thank you. Your response was the point I was trying to make.

JP is a rookie who has not yey played a down in a regular game, and poster after poster is expecting him to come in and save the day. One even cited his selection as a credit to Donahoe, again, before he has thrown a pass in a real football game.

Ultimately, TD is the one who should shoulder the most blame for this sad state of affairs imo. He did what he had to do in year one. Since then, he has screwed up every draft and gave away a top 5 pick to boot.

He hired bush league coaches, and even extended one.

Since Levy, the best coach this team had was Wade Phillips. A great head coach? No, but imagine what he could have done with the talent on this defense as the DC! For one thing, we would not have to sit and bite our nails on 3rd and 16 attempts.

The only point I take issue with Bill on, is that this coaching staff is not "real." I personally believe that Mularkey will be a fine coach. It is obvious that many of the staff members he has brought on-board are amongst the cream of the NFL crop. This is especially true of Sam Wyche. I value Sam more than McNally. Gray is proving that he is a top flight DC. All in all, I believe that the current staff is ripe for becoming a great staff down the line. Of course, Mularkey needs some Hc experience before we can pass that judgement.

It has been said here before, that the problem in replacing a GM is that he will want to clean house and bring in his own people. Right now, I do not want to see our coaching staff replaced.... now, or in the near future.

Thank you. Your response was the point I was trying to make.

JP is a rookie who has not yey played a down in a regular game, and poster after poster is expecting him to come in and save the day. One even cited his selection as a credit to Donahoe, again, before he has thrown a pass in a real football game.

85014[/snapback]

It could be done and it could happen...Look at Pittsburgh...The same team

was struggling in their first 2 games with Tommy Maddox at the helm and

then Big Ben comes in relief and with his pocket presence and ability to

escape the heat, he has the steelers moving along at 5-1 and is yet to loose

a game....The same Burress who was invinisible when Maddox was throwing

(because Maddox was locked on to his primary target, Hines Ward) became

the guy who started punishing opposiing defenses for neglecting him

McNally is not the problem. The guy is a great ol coach. Look that his lines he coached before. Give the guy some time. He is workind with poor talent on the off line. Remember the good old days when John Bulter always said "you can't have enough lineman" The Bills need more talent on the off line. Not a different coach!

On defense, talent seems to abound, so why all the third and long conversions? Could it be dumb coaching?  :angry:

84306[/snapback]

In no way shape or form do I believe JP will be a Savior as a Rookie QB. The fact is, the odds are high that JP will struggle at times, regardless of what Big Ben is doing in Pittsburgh...

That being said I firmly believe that, when healthy, JP must be inserted. I'm a football guy, and ex-athlete (with the emphasis on EX), and the argument some have (no one in particular) about keeping JP out of harms way due to our less than average O-Line just does not compute with me. Any athlete worth his salt, especially a QB, should be itching to get on the Field. The cream always rises, and if JP's the real deal, it will show quickly. And this just in, chances are JP will get hurt behind this, or any O-Line. What QB does not get hurt? Sure there are a few, but they are certainly few and far between. Where would the Bills have been without Frank Reich? And that was behind an O-Line that had 4 out of 5 Starters go to the Pro Bowl at some time during their Bills Career. Plus, NFL Football is a Game where injury can happen at any second, regardless of contact...Just look at JP's injury...Stuff happens in the NFL...It's a brutally tough Sport...

There are 2 main reasons I want JP on the Field as soon as he's physically capable. The 1st reason is getting him a jump start on 2005. Every down JP takes in a Regular Season Game is a lesson learned. The 2nd reason is simply the addition by subtraction that should be the result of getting Drew the heck out of there...Anyone who does not feel Drew's poor performances over the past 2 years have effected this Team mentally in a negative fashion, just does not understand Team Sports, and especially Football...Simply put, there is no single position that can spark, or kill, a Teams psyche like the QB position...

The Bills are now 10-20 in the last 30 Games with Drew as a Starter. So... believe this, write it down, print it and copy it for posterity purposes, when Drew is gone you will hear how much this Team had given up on him, and how long that feeling had existed in the Locker Room. You'll never here it now, but when he's gone it will ring out like a siren...That is my personal guarantee...I'm not saying the Players will rip DB a new one because he's too nice a guy to beat up like that. But it will be crystal clear that the need for change has been felt among the Players for some time now...These guys are Jocks, they are Pro's, and I firmly believe they know better than anyone that a change is more than necessary...

So back to the initial point, yes I think JP should be inserted ASAP because I think every minute Bledsoe is in there is a another minute the Players seperate themselves from the belief that this Organization wants to do everything in their power (on the Field) to win as soon as possible...

And yes JP will struggle just like Elway, Manning, and a slew of others before him. But if he is that good, it will be apparent (in small ways, and in non-tangible ways) almost from the get go...Like I said, the cream always rises to the top...And QB's who are respected and believed in by their Team inspire better performances by their Teammates...JMO... B)

In no way shape or form do I believe JP will be a Savior as a Rookie QB. The fact is, the odds are high that JP will struggle at times, regardless of what Big Ben is doing in Pittsburgh...

That being said I firmly believe that, when healthy, JP must be inserted. I'm a football guy, and ex-athlete (with the emphasis on EX), and the argument some have (no one in particular) about keeping JP out of harms way due to our less than average O-Line just does not compute with me. Any athlete worth his salt, especially a QB, should be itching to get on the Field. The cream always rises, and if JP's the real deal, it will show quickly. And this just in, chances are JP will get hurt behind this, or any O-Line. What QB does not get hurt? Sure there are a few, but they are certainly few and far between. Where would the Bills have been without Frank Reich? And that was behind an O-Line that had 4 out of 5 Starters go to the Pro Bowl at some time during their Bills Career. Plus, NFL Football is a Game where injury can happen at any second, regardless of contact...Just look at JP's injury...Stuff happens in the NFL...It's a brutally tough Sport...

There are 2 main reasons I want JP on the Field as soon as he's physically capable. The 1st reason is getting him a jump start on 2005. Every down JP takes in a Regular Season Game is a lesson learned. The 2nd reason is simply the addition by subtraction that should be the result of getting Drew the heck out of there...Anyone who does not feel Drew's poor performances over the past 2 years have effected this Team mentally in a negative fashion, just does not understand Team Sports, and especially Football...Simply put, there is no single position that can spark, or kill, a Teams psyche like the QB position...

The Bills are now 10-20 in the last 30 Games with Drew as a Starter. So... believe this, write it down, print it and copy it for posterity purposes, when Drew is gone you will hear how much this Team had given up on him, and how long that feeling had existed in the Locker Room. You'll never here it now, but when he's gone it will ring out like a siren...That is my personal guarantee...I'm not saying the Players will rip DB a new one because he's too nice a guy to beat up like that. But it will be crystal clear that the need for change has been felt among the Players for some time now...These guys are Jocks, they are Pro's, and I firmly believe they know better than anyone that a change is more than necessary...

So back to the initial point, yes I think JP should be inserted ASAP because I think every minute Bledsoe is in there is a another minute the Players seperate themselves from the belief that this Organization wants to do everything in their power (on the Field) to win as soon as possible...

And yes JP will struggle just like Elway, Manning, and a slew of others before him. But if he is that good, it will be apparent (in small ways, and in non-tangible ways) almost from the get go...Like I said, the cream always rises to the top...And QB's who are respected and believed in by their Team inspire better performances by their Teammates...JMO... B)

85222[/snapback]

Thank you for a sincere, well thought post.

I too think that Drew is all but done. He still has the tools, but so did RJ. WHY is he done?

He is the latest victim of the Bills OL and dumb organization. KOK, you know as well as I do that ANY qb needs blocking.

That said, it is too late for Drew. He has been sacked what, 125 times in the last two and one half years? Many were unobstructed blasts, coming from the side of a big bag of 36 million dollar stevestojan, Mike Williams. Others came from "Jennings ala Cart," and the rest of these useless douchebags that TD fielded as an offensive line.

Sure, put him in, but keep your fingers crossed, because Mike Williams is going to miss blocks like the indifferent, out of shape slob that he is. Leonard Smith? Come now. How about when Teague comes back? Whoopdie !@#$ing doo!!! He is worse than Tucker imo.

My point is that TD created this sad state of affairs. JP is just the latest messiah of TSW. Again, Drew is finished. OK? TD gave up perhaps the first pick in the 05 draft for JP, the 4th qb chosen in 04 because he is an inept dunce.

Perhaps we might want to be careful and at least break him in slowly before we line him up behind this garbage.

On defense, talent seems to abound, so why all the third and long conversions? Could it be dumb coaching?  :angry:

84306[/snapback]

!@#$ing Christ already! No one has been saying we will have a miraculous turnaround once JP starts.

All we're saying is that we'd rather take on JP's growing pains now so to have a better shot at the start of 2005, when hopefully new OL are brought in, when McGahee is the starter, and when Josh Reed is no longer on the team.

By the way, JP is not made of glass; he's a big boy. He can handle the NFL hits.

If Evans and McGahee continue to develop, and Losman sparks the offense, why would Donahoe be fired, especially if the defense continues to play well?

84365[/snapback]

Because those players will not be able to do much behind a putrid Oline. An Oline that has been neglected for years and years.

Guest John S.
!@#$ing Christ already! No one has been saying we will have a miraculous turnaround once JP starts.

All we're saying is that we'd rather take on JP's growing pains now so to have a better shot at the start of 2005, when hopefully new OL are brought in, when McGahee is the starter, and when Josh Reed is no longer on the team.

By the way, JP is not made of glass; he's a big boy. He can handle the NFL hits.

85363[/snapback]