I think this guy had fun at the Chargers game

Beerball

She'd had season tickets for 10 years and in that decade the Bills had never posted a record better than 8-8, which did nothing to deter her.

Somehow she missed the 9-7 campaign of 2004, and the 11-5 record of 1999.And hell, if we dont count this season, we went 10-6 in 1998. Theres 10 years for ya. Writers that cant bother to fact check simple stats like that lose all credibility. Toss in the fact that he's a canadian and likes soccer, and the guy has no right to even think about writing about football.

I don't know why you guys are pretending like its wrong for him to make fun of Buffalo's financial depression. I mean the joke is like 40 years old, but its still true. I thought it was a great read, INCLUDING his stab at our economy. Why? Because he's right, it allows us to have relatively cheap home games. He doesn't lose credibility. He was making a point. He could have said we've only had one playoff appearance, but he chose to say we've only been 8-8. Whatever, point made. Get over yourself, the argument made sense. I don't know how you could get upset by that article. He said things I've been saying for years.

That was a good article. I agree we could sell the naming rights but out of towners might not realize that. All else is pretty on the money. Having been to a Premiership game, I know exactly what he means. Our drunk rowdiness is a walk in the park compared to their full on hooliganism.

I don't know why you guys are pretending like its wrong for him to make fun of Buffalo's financial depression. I mean the joke is like 40 years old, but its still true. I thought it was a great read, INCLUDING his stab at our economy. Why? Because he's right, it allows us to have relatively cheap home games. He doesn't lose credibility. He was making a point. He could have said we've only had one playoff appearance, but he chose to say we've only been 8-8. Whatever, point made. Get over yourself, the argument made sense. I don't know how you could get upset by that article. He said things I've been saying for years.

Because his facts were wrong? Whether or not he got that 8-8 stat from the woman he talked to, it would have taken 60 seconds to check it online. Journalism 101. If we want people to trust us, WE HAVE TO GET THE FACTS RIGHT.

Other than that (and my annoyance over the naming-rights issue, which also showed a lack of research), good read.

Because his facts were wrong? Whether or not he got that 8-8 stat from the woman he talked to, it would have taken 60 seconds to check it online. Journalism 101. If we want people to trust us, WE HAVE TO GET THE FACTS RIGHT.

Other than that (and my annoyance over the naming-rights issue, which also showed a lack of research), good read.

If I owned a team I'd name the stadium after myself. It's just cooler that way! But yeah, the story behind the naming thing goes something like this: (correct me if I'm wrong on this)

In 1972 Rich Products paid $1.5 million for 25 years of naming rights (apparently this was one of the first instances of "naming rights" for a stadium). After the original deal expired in 1998, the stadium was renamed after its founder/owner, Ralph Wilson Jr. because Rich Products didn't want to pay the greatly increased naming rights price, which was actually at par with other prices around the league.

I thought it was good read..and hes right, the fans in Buffalo no matter how bad you think they are, will never be as bad as the fans from soccer games...USA aside, soccer in other countries is taken as seriously as religion...injuries and death occur among fans in soccer stadiums and at bars...that being said, I'm glad we in the USA don't carry it that far and show more civilized fandom

I could have read wrong but I'm sure he was stating what the women from Ottawa said..so he really didn't need to look up facts at all...maybe the women should have recalled better...some of you need to calm down a bit...the man was writeing a fun article on how he feels the game was better due to the power being out thus takeing him back to the days b4 jumbotrons and electronic game time clocks...for those of you that want full facts and only real facts on the Bills, go write your own articles and post them on internet news sites..But I dont want see anything written from your heart, just facts.

I could have read wrong but I'm sure he was stating what the women from Ottawa said..so he really didn't need to look up facts at all...maybe the women should have recalled better...some of you need to calm down a bit...the man was writeing a fun article on how he feels the game was better due to the power being out thus takeing him back to the days b4 jumbotrons and electronic game time clocks...for those of you that want full facts and only real facts on the Bills, go write your own articles and post them on internet news sites..But I dont want see anything written from your heart, just facts.

Actually, I do write game stories and the occasional feature, the local newspaper prints them, and I draw a paycheck from them. And I double-check every score and every record before I hit "send," and I get pissed if I screw up and something wrong makes it into print, even if the readers don't notice it. So, speaking as a working journalist, is a modicum of research too much to request from someone else in the profession?

As I said earlier: overall, I enjoyed the column. But those incorrect details distracted me, and made me wonder if Ljunggren didn't think it was worth the bother to check them before he filed the piece.

Actually, I do write game stories and the occasional feature, the local newspaper prints them, and I draw a paycheck from them. And I double-check every score and every record before I hit "send," and I get pissed if I screw up and something wrong makes it into print, even if the readers don't notice it. So, speaking as a working journalist, is a modicum of research too much to request from someone else in the profession?

As I said earlier: overall, I enjoyed the column. But those incorrect details distracted me, and made me wonder if Ljunggren didn't think it was worth the bother to check them before he filed the piece.

Here's the difference Lori, he was writing a commentary human interest story not a box score. If you wanted stats go to ESPN stats section. But don't fault a guy for a well thought out and well written human interest story.

Here's the difference Lori, he was writing a commentary human interest story not a box score. If you wanted stats go to ESPN stats section. But don't fault a guy for a well thought out and well written human interest story.

So in the next column I write, I don't have to worry about getting the details right? Whew, that makes things easier. Thanks.

(And yes, I know full well that I'm brewing a tempest in a teapot. It just amuses me that some of the same people who think nothing of raking some writers over the coals for similar infractions, will excuse it in other work once they decide they like the overall story.)

So in the next column I write, I don't have to worry about getting the details right? Whew, that makes things easier. Thanks.

(And yes, I know full well that I'm brewing a tempest in a teapot. It just amuses me that some of the same people who think nothing of raking some writers over the coals for similar infractions, will excuse it in other work once they decide they like the overall story.)

The type of columns you write are factual in nature. The top of the story has gametime stats , history of the series, in essence your writing a box score. This guy was clearly in the human interest/commentary category and therefore has artistic license to embellish or not.

The type of columns you write are factual in nature. The top of the story has gametime stats , history of the series, in essence your writing a box score. This guy was clearly in the human interest/commentary category and therefore has artistic license to embellish or not.

Artistic embellishment has nothing to do with getting the facts correct. Artistic embellishment would be a statement like, "The Bills haven't made the playoffs since prior to WWI." When you bring actual numbers and facts and stats into an article, (like stating that the Bills havent finished any higher than 8-8 in the past 10 years, which is a complete fabrication), they better damn well be correct.

Not talking about my TBD stuff, which (despite the lofty-but-undeserved title Scott bestowed upon me) doesn't fit the definition of a column anyway. Not talking about my own work at all, come to think of it, because I get far too little constructive criticism here.

But even when you're writing opinion, if you choose to include facts, you're still supposed to get them right. That's just my opinion, though. And Mr. Ljunggren is a far more accomplished writer than I, so what do I know?

:lol:

that was an entertaining read but it just goes to show you why canada does not deserve an NFL team. they know little about it, they do not care much about it and they do not have the atmosphere that suits it. what a travesty it will be when we lose the bills to them. ralph should sell after this season but he won't-it has to be about him, always about him, why else would his name STILL be on the stadium