Hardy

I guess we are going to find out Sunday. After watching him all year in his limited play ,he just doesn`t seem agressive enough going after the ball. Maybe he`ll show something different this week. Lets hope so. I`d like to see the Johnson kid get some throws also to see what hes got.

I guess we are going to find out Sunday. After watching him all year in his limited play ,he just doesn`t seem agressive enough going after the ball. Maybe he`ll show something different this week. Lets hope so. I`d like to see the Johnson kid get some throws also to see what hes got.

I think there might be an in-game tryout for the 2nd receiver slot this week. This is why Hardy was drafted - it's time for him to step up. If he doesn't, I think the offense is in trouble.

nobody on the team can do what Reed does because what he brings is experience and veteran savvy. Hardy and Parrish bring other strengths, but they can't replicate Reed's feel for coverages and nose for the first down marker.

Exactly, I think the sleeper pick here is Justin Jenkins. He had a great trainig camp and preseason. He has some exp,27yrs old and good hands and size 6 ft 207

Hopefully, one of the backups can step up but if I was making the calls, I would think about F. Jackson in the slot more. He has similar size, can catch, is a tough runner, can block, and is a proven commodity. I like Roscoe but he seems to be most effective running his routes to the outside and I don't see him getting those 1-2 hard yards for the 1st after the catch on the inside like Jackson can.

nobody on the team can do what Reed does because what he brings is experience and veteran savvy. Hardy and Parrish bring other strengths, but they can't replicate Reed's feel for coverages and nose for the first down marker.

Hopefully, one of the backups can step up but if I was making the calls, I would think about F. Jackson in the slot more. He has similar size, can catch, is a tough runner, can block, and is a proven commodity. I like Roscoe but he seems to be most effective running his routes to the outside and I don't see him getting those 1-2 hard yards for the 1st after the catch on the inside like Jackson can.

These two posts pretty much sum up my thoughts, as well. Reed's experience, grittiness and willingness to do the dirty work is what is going to be hard to replace. Combos of Hardy (or other WR) and Jackson in the slot may help the team weather the loss of Reed.

Hardy needs to stay on the outside IMO. thats the type of receiver he is. Roscoe is the guy they need to utilize in the slot. They should just stop worrying about injuring the guy (he's gonna get hurt anyway) and really work him in practice this week in the slot. If he could just get comfortable there, there is no DB or LB that could hang with him in open space. Re: The contact that comes with being a slot guy, well were just going to have to live with it.

I think Parrish on quick slants could be deadly to opposing teams. Do you think Steve Johnson is ready to contribute in some way?

Parrish has had years to prove himself as a slot receiver. Other than the occasional (and rare) big play he is a non-factor. While he does not like it, his contribution is limited to returns. My guess is that he simply is too small and gets lost over the midddle (remember Trent saying that Parrish can "get lost behind the offensive line" i.e. can't find him in passing lanes). He can't fight off jams if he is lined up outside. His quickness is usefull when improvising on returns and may help him get YAC. The majority of time when he does catch a pass he is easily knocked down by the DB so he does not have a chance to plant a foot and cut.

It is time for Hardy to learn the pro game. Hopefully he progresses quickly. This year's draft class is looking paltry so far. McKelvin has not been an impact player either in his position or in the return game. I am not sure Ellis could get past me in a pass rush. So much for the top three picks so far.

Don't forget one thing about Hardy: He's being asked to do what he never had to do in college, and that's make pre snap reads of the DB alignments, and then adjustments to the route during the play. In college, he just ran the route called for and that was it It's a big step for most guys. His biggest contribution so far was against Jacksonville, and that was a simple fade to the back of the end zone, using his natural height advantage. So that's probably his best chance to help this year.

Agree with slick regarding Jackson. Line him up as a WR and put Lynch in his usual spot. Bring Omon in to spell Lynch if he can handle picking up the blitzing assignments.

:P

Sunday's coming pretty quick. Who'll step up? Roscoe? Unlikely (unfortunately), as he hasn't to date. Hardy? Don't think he can. Steve Johnson? Knowing Jauron, it'll take a season-ending injury to somebody in order for that to happen.

Me, I'd love to see Justin Jenkins flash some talent this week. Also, Fred Jackson HAS to be utilized more. Unpardonable if he's not.

Hopefully, one of the backups can step up but if I was making the calls, I would think about F. Jackson in the slot more. He has similar size, can catch, is a tough runner, can block, and is a proven commodity.

I agree. Jackson and Lynch in the same backfield gives Trent two dangerous outlets and creates all kinds of coverage problems for the Jets defense.

After thinking about this more maybe the alternative to Roscoe in the slot (if that doesn't work out) is indeed Jackson as some of you have pointed out. He's got that same feel for finding pockets in zones, has great hands and RAC ability with contact.

The Bills could man the field with a 2 WR, 2RB, 1 TE formation to dictate personell and then split him out to the slot position, creating the 3 wide set as needed.

This is something i'd definitely like to see more of. It may even scare away some nickel coverage and keep a team in their base alignment.

jenkins was inactive last week despite the fact he's a very good special teams player, which demonstrates where he currently is on the pecking order

IMO, parrish is going to have to step up in the slot and hardy on the outside......whereas reed can man either spot, those guys are pretty much pigeon holed into their roles........i'm pretty confident they can pick up the slack in the passing game......his loss will be felt in the running game given that he's one of the best blocking WR's in the league

First post here

big Hardy fan. The question is will Trent trust him. I think he should. Give him some slants early and get him going.

Hardy has dropped some passes this year. Therefore he is not given a lot of opportunity to make plays for the team. Now Reed is out indefinitely the coaches are running out of options and has to start incorporating Hardy into the game plan. Knowing Jauron, he will rather use Jenkin than activate Steve Johnson. I do not see Parrish getting more playing time because of his size. The Bills coaching staffs has been hard to figure out. One more thing, I hope they run Lynch more since he is getting more yard per carry. That will allow more holes to throw to in the secondary.

Somebody call for me.......?

Yes. Can you "coach up" James Hardy so he can be just as effective a pro as you were coming out of Clemson? If you can't help I may have to summon Charles Rodgers from Michigan State or Mike Williams from USC :nana:

No he's not ready to be a #2.

He'll get some throws going to him but he's not at the point where he'll take over for Reed.

I think there might be an in-game tryout for the 2nd receiver slot this week. This is why Hardy was drafted - it's time for him to step up. If he doesn't, I think the offense is in trouble.

what are the other options? steve johnson?

This isn't a bad idea at all. The Bills could use Xavier Oman as Lynch's backup, with maybe Jackson getting a little time at the position as well. Or, the Bills wanted a pass catching TE, they could use Jackson to take the place of Robert Royal. Having Royal's name eliminated from the Bills' list of receiving "threats" could only be a good thing. With Jackson at TE, the Bills would then use Evans, Hardy, Parrish, and Johnson as their receivers.