Mike Singletary

Dan

That's an excellent question. As an interim HC, there is probably little he can do. It will be interesting to see what happens if he is offered the job at the end of the season.

Did you like this part from the same column?

Not known for his people skills, Martz baffled his players after their 33-30 comeback victory over the Seahawks last month when, at a team meeting the following day, he told them, “You shouldn’t be satisfied, because it’s not just about winning. It’s about trying to be the best offense in the league … the best offense in history.”

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not known for his people skills, Martz baffled his players after their 33-30 comeback victory over the Seahawks last month when, at a team meeting the following day, he told them, “You shouldn’t be satisfied, because it’s not just about winning. It’s about trying to be the best offense in the league … the best offense in history.”

Yes, that was beautiful. Better to be great and lose, I guess.

True, time will tell.

If anyone can pull it off it's Singletary. Nobody can question his intensity or love of the game. He put 100% of himself on the field everytime he stepped on it. I think he's only asking his team to do what he did and a lot of them will respect that. If he gets the job at the end of the year look for a lot of trades and a lot of cuts and some coaching changes.

If anyone can pull it off it's Singletary. Nobody can question his intensity or love of the game. He put 100% of himself on the field everytime he stepped on it. I think he's only asking his team to do what he did and a lot of them will respect that. If he gets the job at the end of the year look for a lot of trades and a lot of cuts and some coaching changes.

Question (especially with the situation Haslett has been put in):

Will the 49ers have to comply to the Rooney Rule and interview other minority candidates if they know their man is Singeltary?

That changes things again, IMO. It may be that Singletary didn't kick him to the locker room for making a stupid play, but for not caring about it, or showing any remorse/disgust/etc, on the sidelines. The last think a guy like Singletary is going to put up with is a "whatever" attitude from a player.

This can be a difficult tightrope to walk, Different guys show their emotions differently. I hope Singletary knows how VD reacts enough to know that he really wasn't torn up inside. Not everyone acts fiery on the sidelines. As long as they PLAY with desire, that really should suffice. But, at the very least, I'm guessing VD will learn you don't blow off your HC when he is telling you something on the sidelines.

Whats difficult about that? Football is not a sport where players are coddled.

Great question.

thanks, and im not trying to start an affirmative action debate. im genuinely curious. especially since the league justifies the rule with "well, it gives those candidates the interview experience they might not otherwise get". if that is TRULY their logic, then it would stand that other people MUST be interviewed.

There's a lot of truth in what Martz is saying there. If you look at the people who are the best at something--the world's best swordsman, for example--you'll see that they are never satisfied. They never say to themselves, "I've arrived." Instead, they are convinced that there is always something more to be learned, room to get better, some flaw that needs to be corrected or some virtue that needs to be magnified. This lifelong process of learning--of mastery--becomes their central focus, even more than individual wins and losses. Getting lots of wins is merely a consequence of having partially achieved the underlying goal, which is to attain a truly elite level of performance, each and every time.

Back in the days of Montana and Rice, the 49ers were an excellent example of this. Their bread and butter play was the quick slant to Jerry Rice. They practiced that play all the time because their goal was to achieve perfection in its execution. Their focus was more inward than outward. They were most concerned about achieving an elite level of performance each and every week, and that focus wasn't much affected by the identity of whichever opponent they happened to be playing that particular week.

Whats difficult about that? Football is not a sport where players are coddled.

Never suggested it was. Maybe you should re-read my post.

EDIT: Actually, football, today, is a sport where guys can be coddled. But, I'm with you that there is no need to.

I'll say now that Singletary will be a very successful head coach in the NFL for a long time IMO. The guy has incredible guiding principles, leadership and determination. He's a proven winner as a player, a businessman and a man. A guy you root for.

When evaluating new coaches it's always best to ask "What Would Marv Do?"

There's a lot of truth in what Martz is saying there. If you look at the people who are the best at something--the world's best swordsman, for example--you'll see that they are never satisfied. They never say to themselves, "I've arrived." Instead, they are convinced that there is always something more to be learned, room to get better, some flaw that needs to be corrected or some virtue that needs to be magnified. This lifelong process of learning--of mastery--becomes their central focus, even more than individual wins and losses. Getting lots of wins is merely a consequence of having partially achieved the underlying goal, which is to attain a truly elite level of performance, each and every time.

Back in the days of Montana and Rice, the 49ers were an excellent example of this. Their bread and butter play was the quick slant to Jerry Rice. They practiced that play all the time because their goal was to achieve perfection in its execution. Their focus was more inward than outward. They were most concerned about achieving an elite level of performance each and every week, and that focus wasn't much affected by the identity of whichever opponent they happened to be playing that particular week.

I don't disagree with the idea of always striving to be better, working hard to improve and erase flaws, with the ultimate goal of being "perfect." But my impression of this comment (and others I've seen attributed to Martz in the past) is that in Martz's eyes, winning is secondary to having the best offense. Because having the best offense ever would stroke Martz's ego more than being the OC for a team that won 12 games and won their division. I think he'd rather be able to say, at the end of the year - "hey, we put up the most yards, most TD's, whatever - who cares that we went 4-12?"

I don't disagree with the idea of always striving to be better, working hard to improve and erase flaws, with the ultimate goal of being "perfect." But my impression of this comment (and others I've seen attributed to Martz in the past) is that in Martz's eyes, winning is secondary to having the best offense. Because having the best offense ever would stroke Martz's ego more than being the OC for a team that won 12 games and won their division. I think he'd rather be able to say, at the end of the year - "hey, we put up the most yards, most TD's, whatever - who cares that we went 4-12?"

I think there is little question of that.