Capital District Bills Fans

Since CBS-6 in it's infinite wisdom is going to show the Jokers vs. Chefs game, a group of us are going to be heading to Peckham's Place in Scotia to watch the game. Even when Buffalo is televised, this place always draws a good contingent of Bills fans.

GO BILLS - SQUISH THE F-ING FISH!!!

Since CBS-6 in it's infinite wisdom is going to show the Jokers vs. Chefs game, a group of us are going to be heading to Peckham's Place in Scotia to watch the game. Even when Buffalo is televised, this place always draws a good contingent of Bills fans.

Infinite wisdom or simply way outnumbered by Jests fans in Albany. I still can't believe that about 30 miles due east of Albany there's a road sign when entering the Common Wealth of Massachusetts showing the SB NE Patriots WITHOUT an asterisk (*).

Move out here to Syracuse. Bills games almost always on TV.

Infinite wisdom or simply way outnumbered by Jests fans in Albany. I still can't believe that about 30 miles due east of Albany there's a road sign when entering the Common Wealth of Massachusetts showing the SB NE Patriots WITHOUT an asterisk (*).

Move out here to Syracuse. Bills games almost always on TV.

Move out here to Syracuse. Bills games ALWAYS on TV. fixed.

Syracuse is part of the home market. Therefore, all games are on as long as home games sell out 72 hours in advance. I feel your pain though. I lived in Albany for five years and the team was rarely on. Of course, those were some lean years in the late-'90s.

On I-90? If so, I never noticed it.

Such a situation may need to be rectified. Tho, perhaps it's been attempted and the Mass DOT just pulls it off.

How big is the sign and what color (so as to determine best size and visibility)?

On I-90? If so, I never noticed it. Such a situation may need to be rectified. Tho, perhaps it's been attempted and the Mass DOT just pulls it off. How big is the sign and what color (so as to determine best size and visibility)?

This was about 3-4 years ago and I'm pretty sure it was I-90 since I can't think of any other way I would possibly drive in to Massachusetts.

Pretty weird area, NFL-wise for the Albany market. Gints, Jests, and the nearby Pats*. I still remember the picture of former NY Gov. Eliot Spitzer on his first day in office. Jogging around the state capitol in Albany wearing a Gints cap. That totally p****d me off. Pataki was a big Gints fan, too.

Anyone know where Gov. David Paterson's NFL allegiance is? Or does he just not care?

Still, any Buffalo-Miami game should be a much better draw than the Jests-Chiefs match up - anywhere. :thumbsup:

This was about 3-4 years ago and I'm pretty sure it was I-90 since I can't think of any other way I would possibly drive in to Massachusetts.

Pretty weird area, NFL-wise for the Albany market. Gints, Jests, and the nearby Pats*. I still remember the picture of former NY Gov. Eliot Spitzer on his first day in office. Jogging around the state capitol in Albany wearing a Gints cap. That totally p****d me off. Pataki was a big Gints fan, too.

Anyone know where Gov. David Paterson's NFL allegiance is? Or does he just not care?

Still, any Buffalo-Miami game should be a much better draw than the Jests-Chiefs match up - anywhere. :thumbsup:

I'd say the Bills are #3, not the Patriots. The Patriots don't have a local radio station, the Bills do.

The Giants are clearly #1, they even have their camp here. All of the Giants & Jets preseason games are broadcast locally on TV.

The sign for the Patsies is on I-90 after crossing the NY/Mass line. Last saw it in August. Pretty good size sign that would look great mounted in one of the parking areas outside the Ralph....decorated with the appropriate asterisk of course. :thumbsup:

We have been lucky back this way. All of the Bills games have been televised with the exception of the Raider game but I got to see that one live. When they are not televised, I certainly do not mind going to our local tavern to watch the game with other Bills fans (including folks that have season tickets who we tailgate with). The atmosphere, though not quite the same experience as being at the Ralph live, is still allot of fun.

I know there are also a decent number of Dolphin fans in the CD. Combine those people with Bills fans (who I agree probably rank #3 in popularity in this area) IMO outnumber Jest fans. Management at CBS-6 just does not get it. :thumbsup:

GO BILLS!!!

The sign for the Patsies is on I-90 after crossing the NY/Mass line. Last saw it in August. Pretty good size sign that would look great mounted in one of the parking areas outside the Ralph....decorated with the appropriate asterisk of course. :thumbsup:

We have been lucky back this way. All of the Bills games have been televised with the exception of the Raider game but I got to see that one live. When they are not televised, I certainly do not mind going to our local tavern to watch the game with other Bills fans (including folks that have season tickets who we tailgate with). The atmosphere, though not quite the same experience as being at the Ralph live, is still allot of fun.

I know there are also a decent number of Dolphin fans in the CD. Combine those people with Bills fans (who I agree probably rank #3 in popularity in this area) IMO outnumber Jest fans. Management at CBS-6 just does not get it. :thumbsup:

GO BILLS!!!

Even if that is true (combining the fans) which I doubt, the station has likely made themselves the JETS station, in the minds of the audience and the advertisers. You don't dump the team you've built a commitment to carrying (and sold advertising packages to the REAL customer...the advertisers), for one game that might be more attractive, this weekend. I understand you are a Bills fan and are pumped about them, but you are naive to think that the Albany area is not Giants and Jets country.

Would you expect Rochester, in a year the Bills weren't quite as good as the Jets, to not show a Bills-Chiefs game, and instead air the "better" Jets-Miami game? Because, essentially, that's what you are expecting from your local station. If you have been able to see most of the Bills games, this year, celebrate. Don't complain when the local station simply does what they MUST do.

Whoa, whoa, whoa Dean, I'm not complaining (read my first message). I do not mind going to watch the game at a bar, in fact I am looking forward to it.

Having lived in the CD most of my life, I also have a pretty good handle on this area. I would agree that we are certainly located in the heart of Gints country. They have their summer camp at SUNY Albany and they are #1 in fan base in the CD. However, the Jests and Bills run a close #2 and #3. I am not just saying that because I am a Bills fan, I am basing that on my observations from living here for 30+ years. The Fox affiliate considers itself home to the Gints. However, I have never seen nor heard CBS-6 claim to be home of the Jests. In fact, in years past, they have typically carried the game of the team (Bills or Jests) who has the better record and during the Super Bowl years and several years after, carried all Bills games.

I also think you are naive to compare the markets of Rochester with Albany which is like comparing apples to oranges. Rochester is not far from Buffalo and there are no other NFL teams that are even remotely close in proximity. CD has Buffalo 250 miles west, New England 165 miles east and New Jersey Gints and Jests 175 miles south.

Just my humble opinion though.

GO BILLS!

Even if that is true (combining the fans) which I doubt, the station has likely made themselves the JETS station, in the minds of the audience and the advertisers. You don't dump the team you've built a commitment to carrying (and sold advertising packages to the REAL customer...the advertisers), for one game that might be more attractive, this weekend. I understand you are a Bills fan and are pumped about them, but you are naive to think that the Albany area is not Giants and Jets country.

Would you expect Rochester, in a year the Bills weren't quite as good as the Jets, to not show a Bills-Chiefs game, and instead air the "better" Jets-Miami game? Because, essentially, that's what you are expecting from your local station. If you have been able to see most of the Bills games, this year, celebrate. Don't complain when the local station simply does what they MUST do.

Whoa, whoa, whoa Dean, I'm not complaining (read my first message). I do not mind going to watch the game at a bar, in fact I am looking forward to it.

Having lived in the CD most of my life, I also have a pretty good handle on this area. I would agree that we are certainly located in the heart of Gints country. They have their summer camp at SUNY Albany and they are #1 in fan base in the CD. However, the Jests and Bills run a close #2 and #3. I am not just saying that because I am a Bills fan, I am basing that on my observations from living here for 30+ years. The Fox affiliate considers itself home to the Gints. However, I have never seen nor heard CBS-6 claim to be home of the Jests. In fact, in years past, they have typically carried the game of the team (Bills or Jests) who has the better record and during the Super Bowl years and several years after, carried all Bills games.

I also think you are naive to compare the markets of Rochester with Albany which is like comparing apples to oranges. Rochester is not far from Buffalo and there are no other NFL teams that are even remotely close in proximity. CD has Buffalo 250 miles west, New England 165 miles east and New Jersey Gints and Jests 175 miles south.

Just my humble opinion though.

GO BILLS!

I certainly didn't mean to jump on you, sorry you got that impression. While Rochester is considered a primary market for the Bills, I am fairly certain Albany is considered the to be a secondary market for Jets/Giants games. So, I should have used Syracuse, as the example, instead of Rochester, if that helps.

BTW, both Cleveland and Pittsburgh are about as close to Rochester as Albany is to Buffalo...but, I get your point.

I guess my point was, bottom line: In Albany, you are boned, if it is Jets OR Bills. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The Jets are honestly #3 in the Capital District. The Jets fanbase is equivalent to the Mets fanbase here. The Red Sox and Yankee fans outnumber Mets fans here considerably. The same goes for football. Giants and Bills fans outnumber Jets fans considerably, yet CBS6 had the idea of making itself the Jets station. I don't get the logic, but Doug Sherman is an idiot anyways.

I'll never get the whole "lets put an asterisk next to the Patriots" argument. You can't convince me that the only causal link for the Pats winning three Super Bowls and going 18-1 last season was only due to them filming the other team.

The Jets are honestly #3 in the Capital District. The Jets fanbase is equivalent to the Mets fanbase here. The Red Sox and Yankee fans outnumber Mets fans here considerably. The same goes for football. Giants and Bills fans outnumber Jets fans considerably, yet CBS6 had the idea of making itself the Jets station. I don't get the logic, but Doug Sherman is an idiot anyways.

I'll never get the whole "lets put an asterisk next to the Patriots" argument. You can't convince me that the only casual link for the Pats winning three Super Bowls and going 18-1 last season was only due to them filming the other team.

Don't know that anyone considers it the ONLY causal link. But, think of it this way: If it isn't worth 3 points, why do it? Why break the rules, and risk being caught (it is very clear that Bellicheat KNEW the rules and decided to break them) if it isn't worth a few points?

The Pats* won TWO Super Bowls by 3 points.

I'll never get the whole "lets put an asterisk next to the Patriots" argument. You can't convince me that the only casual link for the Pats winning three Super Bowls and going 18-1 last season was only due to them filming the other team.

10, or so, years ago, I did some consulting for a couple of Albany TV stations. According to the research that I reviewed (but did not conduct...so I won't vouch for its veracity), the Bills were well behind the Jets, and the Giants, for "Favorite Football Team" in the entire DMA. It really wasn't all that close.

From my days as a student at SUNY Albany in the mid-70's,, it seemed that way, as well. Of course, the Bills were going through pretty rough times, then.

Maybe, when the Bills are winning and/or exciting, the data would look different.

10, or so, years ago, I did some consulting for a couple of Albany TV stations. According to the research that I reviewed (but did not conduct...so I won't vouch for its veracity), the Bills were well behind the Jets, and the Giants, for "Favorite Football Team" in the entire DMA. It really wasn't all that close.

From my days as a student at SUNY Albany in the mid-70's,, it seemed that way, as well. Of course, the Bills were going through pretty rough times, then.

Maybe, when the Bills are winning and/or exciting, the data would look different.

I believe that the Bills fan base in this area is extremely loyal to their team, regardless of record. You still saw people wearing Bills hats, shirts, etc. supporting their team even during the lean years. Same goes for Giants fans. However, Jets fans are a very different breed. When their team is playing well, you see more of them wearing their colors and at the bars supporting their teams, all the while shooting their mouths off. However, if they are playing poorly, you never see or hear from them so it can be hard to calculate their numbers.

I still believe, although I do not have any factual data to back it up, that Bills and Jets fans are closer in number than many believe. Good discussion just the same.

GO BILLS!

I give the finger to that sign whenever I see it heading to Boston.

Don't know that anyone considers it the ONLY causal link. But, think of it this way: If it isn't worth 3 points, why do it? Why break the rules, and risk being caught (it is very clear that Bellicheat KNEW the rules and decided to break them) if it isn't worth a few points?

The Pats* won TWO Super Bowls by 3 points.

A lot do. I don't think filming the other team turns you from an average team to an NFL powerhouse. If that were the case, a lot more teams would be attempting to cheat. Just face it the Pats won those Super Bowls because they were good. People are only using this scandal to justify why they were so good. Honestly, it doesn't matter to me. I don't consider it cheating.

That was 1998 or so, so that was well after their Super Bowl days. I'd be interested to hear the methodology behind this study because just from experience of living here all of my life, I rarely see anyone with Jets attire on. I do see a lot of people with Giants and Bills attire on.

[quote name='edwardslynchevans' date='Oct 26 2008, 11:36 AM' post='1184652'

That was 1998 or so, so that was well after their Super Bowl days. I'd be interested to hear the methodology behind this study because just from experience of living here all of my life, I rarely see anyone with Jets attire on. I do see a lot of people with Giants and Bills attire on.

Judging who is a fan by who wears team gear doesn't work very well. As I said, I didn't do the study, but it was a standard half-assed telephone survey. (There were several surveys, all with similar data.) Not the best of methodology, but I'm of the belief the data were good enough, for this discussion.

If you wanted to know how many RABID fans there were for each team, or how many fans that rocked their team's gear, that would be an entirely different study. Most fans don't walk around during the week wearing their teams clothing. Most fans don't even talk about their team, much of the time.

[quote name='edwardslynchevans' date='Oct 26 2008, 11:36 AM' post='1184652'

Judging who is a fan by who wears team gear doesn't work very well. As I said, I didn't do the study, but it was a standard half-assed telephone survey. (There were several surveys, all with similar data.) Not the best of methodology, but I'm of the belief the data were good enough, for this discussion.

If you wanted to know how many RABID fans there were for each team, or how many fans that rocked their team's gear, that would be an entirely different study. Most fans don't walk around during the week wearing their teams clothing. Most fans don't even talk about their team, much of the time.

I remember awhile back, I believe it was at the beginning of this decade, CBS6 would actually do a poll and have the fans decide which game they'd show. I don't remember the exact results, but the Bills game beat out the Jets game the majority of the time, and this was when the Bills were having 3-13 seasons.

I remember awhile back, I believe it was at the beginning of this decade, CBS6 would actually do a poll and have the fans decide which game they'd show. I don't remember the exact results, but the Bills game beat out the Jets game the majority of the time, and this was when the Bills were having 3-13 seasons.

If it was a call-in poll, or an internet poll, that really isn't a representative poll. It is simply a tool to make a story. An REAL poll would involve a random sample of viewers. Most people who call in, or go to an internet site to vote, are rabid fans. That king of thing is NOT research, at all.

If it was a call-in poll, or an internet poll, that really isn't a representative poll. It is simply a tool to make a story. An REAL poll would involve a random sample of viewers. Most people who call in, or go to an internet site to vote, are rabid fans. That king of thing is NOT research, at all.

No it wasn't a study they were doing. It was an internet poll that listed three games (the Bills game, the Jets game, and some other out of town matchup). You only got one vote, and unless the Jets were playing a marquee matchup, the Bills game got the majority of votes each week.

No it wasn't a study they were doing. It was an internet poll that listed three games (the Bills game, the Jets game, and some other out of town matchup). You only got one vote, and unless the Jets were playing a marquee matchup, the Bills game got the majority of votes each week.

That is cool as hell. But, it is pretty much meaningless, unfortunately.

See you guys later.

Go Bills!

I still believe, although I do not have any factual data to back it up, that Bills and Jets fans are closer in number than many believe. Good discussion just the same.

From what I understand the Jests fans in the "CD" have a serious inferiority complex to the highly successful Gints and always have.

Thus, the lack of Jests shirts/garbage visible to the eye.

I'd say the Bills are #3, not the Patriots. The Patriots don't have a local radio station, the Bills do. The Giants are clearly #1, they even have their camp here. All of the Giants & Jets preseason games are broadcast locally on TV.

I posted that wrong since I considered western New England part of the Albany SMSA.

I posted that wrong since I considered eastern New England part of the Albany SMSA.

Berkshire County, MA, is part of the Albany DMA. Actually, the DMA is known as Albany-Schenectady-Troy.