Need advice on dealing with a speeding ticket

PromoTheRobot

A trooper clocked me doing 79 in a 65. It's amazing how little useful info there is online. Basically they want you to plead guilty and hold your breath. No indication of how big a fine, etc. Since I live in NH, our state website doesn't say if NY points count on my NH record. (Forget about calling and actually speaking to a human.) Then there are other sites that talk about dragging out the process until they give up.

I would appreciate any advice on this matter. I don't mind paying a reasonable fine. I just don't want to f*** myself down the road with insurance, etc. My record is otherwise clean.

PTR

Pay it. Those funds from law breakers like you go to pay for entitlement programs that lefties like you so readily endorse. Are you a hypocrite?

:wacko:

Thank you. I did say I was willing to pay the fine. (rule #1: read post thoroughly before making snide comment.)

By the way, will you be leaving the country during the Obama presidency or just hole up in your fortified bunker for 8 years? :)

PTR

Thank you. I did say I was willing to pay the fine. (rule #1: read post thoroughly before making snide comment.)

By the way, will you be leaving the country during the Obama presidency or just hole up in your fortified bunker for 8 years? :)

PTR

Regardless of what your post said, your thread title said looking for advice. I gave it. :wacko:

Rule number 1: Make sure you follow the traffic laws.

I don't know how it works in NH, but in NYS, pleading guilty to this charge would be a 4-point violation, and you would end up with a fee of anywhere from $100-$200 (approx., including surcharge. The variation in the fine depends on how irritated the judge is the day he decides your fine).

I'd contact your insurance agent in NH to see what sort of insurance implications (if any) this would have, and whether this will affect your NH driving record.

PTR

How much are your overseas phone costs to Babs and Alec these days? :wacko:

Doesn't NYS have a driving school you can attend to wipe it out?

In Florida they have this deal where you go to Blockbuster and rent this DMV video. From there you take an exam on your computer with the video. Reduces the fine and points.

Wife had a speeding ticket about two years ago. Insurance didnt go up either......

Through, post on the PPP and hide promo is going to have the book thrown at him. :)

How much are your overseas phone costs to Babs and Alec these days? :)

They say hi. And thanks for hijacking my post and changing the subject. Make everything political. Attack those who disagree with you. And you wonder why you're losing.

PTR

A trooper clocked me doing 79 in a 65. It's amazing how little useful info there is online. Basically they want you to plead guilty and hold your breath. No indication of how big a fine, etc. Since I live in NH, our state website doesn't say if NY points count on my NH record. (Forget about calling and actually speaking to a human.) Then there are other sites that talk about dragging out the process until they give up.

I would appreciate any advice on this matter. I don't mind paying a reasonable fine. I just don't want to f*** myself down the road with insurance, etc. My record is otherwise clean.

PTR

get a lawyer I think ya wanna try to get that 79 reduced to something less however maybe its 15 over speed limit that nails the points. Good luck its a pain when your out of state but seems like ya go back enough to consider a long weekend.

They say hi. And thanks for hijacking my post and changing the subject. Make everything political. Attack those who disagree with you. And you wonder why you're losing.

PTR

And you libs do the same thing....

Get over yourself and make a real difference and leave both of these big $ parties out on the cold, but of course, too many blind sheep will vote for one of these two schmuks.

Do they have traffic school? In California you can go to traffic school to avoid the points and insurance implications. Only allowed once every two years.

I went to traffic school once. Waste of a Saturday, until class was over and two guys ran to the parking lot, jumped into their cars, and promptly backed in to each other... :D

PTR

Hillary is the real winner in all of this. She and her cheshire cat grin while Obama tries to prove his citizenship.

It depends what locality you got caught in. The court/fine you were stopped in really matters. If it was Buffalo, if you plead "not guilty", you can really only win if the trooper doesn't show up. Other municipalities can negotiate. I believe "points" are on your license for about 3 years. If you happen to get more points withing the 3 years, the insurance company REALLY won't like you. To avoid this nastiness, you may want to research options. It may be beneficial to have an attorney handle this for you. You may end up with a fine but no points, and maybe school. At least you will have 0 points and your insurance co. will leave you alone. You then may get a discount on your insurance because you went to school.

Good luck.

I'm an old pro at this. I'd normally say send in the ticket not guilty, trail date is then set. At the trial if the cops is a no show ask that "in the interest of justice I ask that these charges be dismissed, the accuser is not present for trial". If the cop shows ask to speak with the DA and plea it down, it's the American way!

Since you are out of state it does not pay to go to court so send it in guilty (you do not want to be a scofflaw). If you feel the fine is too high then don't pay it. Insurance companies track you by points and you won't get points on your license from an out of state ticket.

If NH and NY have a pact which they do not as far as I know, you would get a Notice of Drivers License Suspension in the mail, 3 to 6 months later from your home state NH stating that it you do not pay the fine from the NY by such and such a date your license will be suspended, in which case you pay it. The points still will not follow you to NH from NY.