Gonzalez Report

BillsVet

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think after 10 years of constant rebuilding, we as fans have been hypnotized by it. We have a team that clearly is on the rise and should develop into a serious threat in the next 1-3 years. Going for TG is a serious move by the FO to show we're ready to make a run in the next year or so.

GET 'EM

I think after 10 years of constant rebuilding, we as fans have been hypnotized by it. We have a team that clearly is on the rise and should develop into a serious threat in the next 1-3 years. Going for TG is a serious move by the FO to show we're ready to make a run in the next year or so.

GET 'EM

Absolutely. The mission statement should be to win a Superbowl either this year or next, and Tony Gonzalez will help you do that much moreso than your average 2nd round rookie.

If we can get Gonzales for a 3rd and a 6th or 7th, I'd do it. I can't see us coming off of a 2nd to get it done and surely NOT a 1st. Could he help our team right now? Yes. Is it worth it is the question. Is our team 1 Tony Gonzales away from the Super Bowl? I doubt it, but you never know. The AFC is WIDE OPEN this year with Brady going down, the Chargers underachieving, the Colts not being as dominant and without Bob Sanders. You have the Steelers and their D that is relentless, Baltimore and the same with a rookie QB, Tennessee with their defense, and Denver with that offense. If defense wins championships then we still have a ways to go. I'm not saying that we've played bad, but everything needs to come together. Our running game also has to get a heck of alot better or we're screwed. Gonzales isn't known for his blocking so that takes him out of the equation there basically. It's a risky move to give up draft picks for a guy who's 32, slowing down, and basically one dimensional.

Absolutely. The mission statement should be to win a Superbowl either this year or next, and Tony Gonzalez will help you do that much moreso than your average 2nd round rookie.

Or any TE we have now, bunch of nobodies.

If we can get Gonzales for a 3rd and a 6th or 7th, I'd do it. I can't see us coming off of a 2nd to get it done and surely NOT a 1st. Could he help our team right now? Yes. Is it worth it is the question. Is our team 1 Tony Gonzales away from the Super Bowl? I doubt it, but you never know. The AFC is WIDE OPEN this year with Brady going down, the Chargers underachieving, the Colts not being as dominant and without Bob Sanders. You have the Steelers and their D that is relentless, Baltimore and the same with a rookie QB, Tennessee with their defense, and Denver with that offense. If defense wins championships then we still have a ways to go. I'm not saying that we've played bad, but everything needs to come together. Our running game also has to get a heck of alot better or we're screwed. Gonzales isn't known for his blocking so that takes him out of the equation there basically. It's a risky move to give up draft picks for a guy who's 32, slowing down, and basically one dimensional.

One dimensional perhaps...but it's a dimension we need....

Yeah, we couldn't use a extra 1,000 yards of offense. :devil:

One dimensional perhaps...but it's a dimension we need....

I would not complain if we had him as another receiving threat. It would help Lee even more and if Hardy starts coming around then who knows how good our passing attack could be, but it wouldn't help the running game. Every time Royal comes in, 8 in the box. Gonzales comes in, 7 or 6. It's not going to help us with ball control or time of posession. And an extra 1,000 yards? Yeah :devil: I'll take the guy on our team, but it him coming here is not likened to Christ coming to Jerusalem. Gonzales is not coming here to save us all.

Chris Brown posted this on bb.com ---

fingers crossed, this would be huge for the bills...also we have a bye week so he could potentially have a week of practice

ESPN News report on Gonzalez and Bills

By Chris Brown - Posted October 11th, 2008

Though there are no links to any written stories on their website, ESPN News (TV) is reporting that the Bills are one of several teams “known to have inquired about” Kansas City TE Tony Gonzalez. According to ESPN News the asking price is starting at a 1st round pick “and change.” The network did not attribute their report to any of their NFL beat reporters.

Gonzalez has been reportedly interested in making a move to a contending team as the Chiefs are in full blown rebuilding mode. The perennial Pro Bowl tight end is signed through 2011 at reasonable base salaries for a player of his caliber ($1M in ‘08, $4M in ‘09, $4.5M in ‘10, $5.75M in ‘11), though $17M of his most recent contract in guaranteed and could include some of the base salaries listed above.

A first-round pick and then some is a lot to surrender, but Gonzalez has been one of the most durable tight ends in the league and at 32 likely has at least two more productive seasons in him.

We’ll do our best to keep you updated on the possibility of Gonzalez being moved by the Chiefs prior to the Tuesday trade deadline. The Eagles are another team that has been mentioned as a possible landing spot for Gonzalez as well as the Giants.

This is a guy who just last season had 99 catches, 1172 yards and 5 touchdowns. He isn't on that pace this year, what with the Chiefs asking him to block more and having already used 3 different starting quarterbacks, including some guy named Tyler Thigpen. But he has NOT lost very much of his speed or athleticism. This is still one of the premier tight ends in the game.

As for the chance that his game is about to drop off, Gonzo has proven to be one of the most durable players in the league and keeps himself in excellent shape. He could be one of those rare players who remains relevant well into their 30s. Since he was drafted, he's appeared in 156 of the Chiefs 158 regular season games.

Personally, I would have no problem giving away a 2nd and a 5th. The prospect of Edwards playing with Evans and Gonzalez is too enticing to pass up.

I wouldn't give a 2nd and 5th, but definitely JP and a 6th. If not a 4th. I agree with everything you wrote, and I agree it will make opposing D's respect the passing game more since they don't feel threatened with our running game.

According to PFT, the Chiefs are asking for a third and the Giants are offering a sixth. Why would we offer more than a third?!?

He would be a great addition. If we can get him for a fifth, fourth, or even a third, he would really add an extra dimension to our offense.

According to PFT, the Chiefs are asking for a third and the Giants are offering a sixth. Why would we offer more than a third?!?

He would be a great addition. If we can get him for a fifth, fourth, or even a third, he would really add an extra dimension to our offense.

I wouldn't give a 2nd and 5th, but definitely JP and a 6th. If not a 4th. I agree with everything you wrote, and I agree it will make opposing D's respect the passing game more since they don't feel threatened with our running game.

JP is going to free agency when the season ends, because thats where the money is. Because of that, a 7th round pick has more trade value than JP Losman does. Why would a team thats going nowhere this year want him when he's just going to play out the string and leave?

If PFT is right, then obviously, I think, no more than a 3rd would be given (unless a bidding war began). But, keep in mind that PFT can be pretty iffy with the facts. Chris Brown, suggests they are asking for a 1st and change, so consider that, as well.