Life On Mars. Anybody watch it?

The Dean

I enjoyed it, for the most part.

My expectations were pretty low going in, though.

Watched it when it was on BBC America about two years ago. I DVR'd the rip-off American version last night and will watch it this weekend. Anybody watch it that saw the BBC version? Is it like the Office, where they used the same screenplay but with American actors, or did they completely re-do it?

Personally, I'm skeptical. The BBC version was stellar.

Watched it when it was on BBC America about two years ago. I DVR'd the rip-off American version last night and will watch it this weekend. Anybody watch it that saw the BBC version? Is it like the Office, where they used the same screenplay but with American actors, or did they completely re-do it?

I haven't seen the BBC version, but I heard they were going to do the same with this as they did with the Office (use the exact same script in the pilot and then go from there). I Tivo'd it and will catch up on my Thursday shows tomorrow (Office, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia). It looks very interesting.

I was completely into baseball last night. Go Phillies!

Get a hold of the BBC version. It's outstanding. The series has a definite ending and its one that they'll never use for the U.S. version.

I've been curious about it. I've heard nothing but great things about the original series. But it seems that it has not been released on dvd for region 1 and there are no plans to do so.

Never saw the BBC version. Watched the premiere, interesting concept. I'll give it a few more episodes though before deciding if it's one of my "must watch".

Same here. The cast alone is worth that effort, IMO.

I've been curious about it. I've heard nothing but great things about the original series. But it seems that it has not been released on dvd for region 1 and there are no plans to do so.

Well two options then. First there's always bit torrent. Second hope like hell BBC America decides to rerun the series. It really sucks that the American version basically is ensuring that we don't get it on DVD in the U.S. at this time. It's worth hunting a bit for.

Well two options then. First there's always bit torrent. Second hope like hell BBC America decides to rerun the series. It really sucks that the American version basically is ensuring that we don't get it on DVD in the U.S. at this time. It's worth hunting a bit for.

There are streams of some of the episodes here:

http://www.sidereel.com/Life_on_Mars_(UK)

The "Transatlantic Tunnel"

Darn, figuring the beginning premise was the same, I started to watch ep. 2, but watching it on the computer is kinda weak. Oh well...

It's on youku...ugh. I don't like that site much. The key with youku is to mute the sound, and let the video load fully (don't pause). Then pull the progress bar back to the start and play (with the volume).

Still youku is a tough site for me to use, too.

Hey there Cooter, I am finally experiencing Gretchen Moll (first hand) :)

I loved Journeyman. Kevin McKidd was great in that show. I was disappointed and pissed they canceled that. I don't like to watch new shows now because it seems like they get canceled left and right. Better to wait a season and then watch the full season DVD if it gets renewed.

So I take this to be another Hollywood ripoff caper? Damn, that town hasn't come up with a unique idea in 25 years.

saw it tonite for first time......great cast makes an average story better than average.

I'm beginning to agree. I saw the pilot and Tivo'd last night (I'll watch later).

TMQ made mention of the series and had some observations:

In Development at HBO: A Series About a Network Executive Who Endlessly Relives the Same Upfronts: Last fall, TMQ inventoried the astonishing number of movies and television shows premised on police officers or detectives with supernatural powers or imaginary super-advanced technology. My favorite was "New Amsterdam," about a 400-year-old New York City detective who had attained immortality. He was immortal -- until he was canceled! Which happened after eight episodes.

This year's fall lineup includes "Life on Mars," about a detective who falls through a time warp into the year 1973; a remade "Knight Rider," about a secret agent driving an invincible supercar; "Fringe," about an FBI agent fighting a global outbreak of paranormal events; and "The Mentalist," about a detective who may or may not be psychic. Note about "Knight Rider": the new car is described as powered by a "solar hybrid" engine, yet has no solar panels. Even if it did, covering an object the size of a car even with hypothetical 100 percent efficient solar cells would produce maybe enough electricity to run a lawnmower -- one of the technical obstacles to solar power is the relatively low amount of energy in sunlight that reaches the ground. (Sunlight in space carries far more energy.) Note about "Life on Mars": viewers are supposed to be brimming with nostalgia for 1973? "Life on Mars" is a remake of a BBC series about a British detective who falls through a time warp to London of 1973. That show had a sequel, "Ashes to Ashes," about a British detective who falls through a time warp to London of 1981. Viewers are supposed to be brimming with nostalgia for 1981?