Trent Edwards

It's really hard to tell from what we saw. All I can offer is that I had a bad concussion once, I was out cold for about 15 minutes, woke up and felt refreshed like I'd just had a great nights sleep. Then two hours later when the swelling kicked in I had a horrendous headache that lasted a month and it just felt like my brain was moving around independently in my head when I was moving. It seriously felt like I could get re-concussed just by shaking my head. Prior to that I could never really "feel" my brain in my head. Twenty years later I am always aware of it. Doesn't hurt, but I can just feel it. It was beyond f'd up, and it really is like that cracked egg analogy. I had taken dozens of hard hits to the head in sports prior to that and was never more than a wee bit dazed really, and I had come to really lead with my head in most sports. Trent may be a pro athlete, but I really fear for guys who get concussions.

Thanks for those optimistic words, I feel great now. :ph34r:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really hard to tell from what we saw. All I can offer is that I had a bad concussion once, I was out cold for about 15 minutes, woke up and felt refreshed like I'd just had a great nights sleep. Then two hours later when the swelling kicked in I had a horrendous headache that lasted a month and it just felt like my brain was moving around independently in my head when I was moving. It seriously felt like I could get re-concussed just by shaking my head. Prior to that I could never really "feel" my brain in my head. Twenty years later I am always aware of it. Doesn't hurt, but I can just feel it. It was beyond f'd up, and it really is like that cracked egg analogy. I had taken dozens of hard hits to the head in sports prior to that and was never more than a wee bit dazed really, and I had come to really lead with my head in most sports. Trent may be a pro athlete, but I really fear for guys who get concussions.

That does sound scary. Trent was not out for 15 minutes, so hopefully his was mild. :ph34r:

That does sound scary. Trent was not out for 15 minutes, so hopefully his was mild. :doh:

The more I think about this, the more I am thinking we are probably going to see Losman against SD. Edwards is the future of this franchise, I can not see Jauron taking any risks with Edwards health. Concussions are nothing to take lightly. If Losman does play, hopefully he does not sh*t his pants like he has in the past. My expectations are not very high against SD if JP does play though. Hopefully, I am proven wrong.

Ive always been kinda neutral on the Losman/Trent thing. I was really hoping that JP was going to take advantage of the opportunity to shine for next seasons contract with whomever. And this game was really not his fault at all. One thing that bothered me though when he was on the bench. He had the look of a guy who just doesn't give a $h1t. Can't really explain it. He just didn't look intense at all.

It's okay, if he looked intense and was high-fiving his teammates someone on the board would B word about that too.

It's okay, if he looked intense and was high-fiving his teammates someone on the board would B word about that too.

"What the hell does he think he's doing, trying to usurp Edwards' command of this team? What a jagoff!"

The more I think about this, the more I am thinking we are probably going to see Losman against SD. Edwards is the future of this franchise, I can not see Jauron taking any risks with Edwards health. Concussions are nothing to take lightly. If Losman does play, hopefully he does not sh*t his pants like he has in the past. My expectations are not very high against SD if JP does play though. Hopefully, I am proven wrong.

We all agree Trent is the future of the team at QB. That said, I do think JP likes/respects Turk and the philosophy of the Bills' offense. Losman played solid ball during the preseason, and wasn't awful in a tough situation on Sunday.

With two weeks to prepare for the Chargers, I don't have a gloom-and-doom feeling if Trent isn't back.

With two weeks to prepare for the Chargers, I don't have a gloom-and-doom feeling if Trent isn't back.

Believe it or not, I mostly agree with this. JP did have a few decent starts in his career, and 2 weeks rest is a great thing for this team right now.

What will be tough to stomach will be the cries for him to replace Trent if the Bills win, but that would be worth it, to say the least.

Believe it or not, I mostly agree with this. JP did have a few decent starts in his career, and 2 weeks rest is a great thing for this team right now.

What will be tough to stomach will be the cries for him to replace Trent if the Bills win, but that would be worth it, to say the least.

Agree on all points.

Even if JP plays his AZZ off & the Bills win BIG, it would make no sense to start JP over a HEALTHY Trent. JP is here as a 1 year back up & will not be a Bill next year, I think that is understood by all.

I think if there's any doubt about Trent, the Bills should err on the side of caution and keep him on the sidelines. There's no sense in gambling with his career.

That said, if Losman starts, it shouldn't be that hard for San Diego to contain the Bills' offense. They should take away the long bomb to Evans (obviously), and probably put eight men in the box on the off chance that our offensive line provides some semblance of run blocking.

On offense, San Diego should strongly emphasize short to intermediate passes, thereby exploiting the cushions our CBs are coached to give their receivers. Our defense hasn't done a good job of stopping that kind of attack thus far, so they may as well exploit that weakness.

If Losman starts, and if San Diego does the above things--and does them reasonably well--I would expect it to come away with a win.

Don't worry I don't think you'll be proven wrong if JP starts.

Even if JP plays his AZZ off & the Bills win BIG, it would make no sense to start JP over a HEALTHY Trent. JP is here as a 1 year back up & will not be a Bill next year, I think that is understood by all.

There are still a half dozen or so die hard losman supporters in wny.

I think they all post on the forum.

I think if there's any doubt about Trent, the Bills should err on the side of caution and keep him on the sidelines. There's no sense in gambling with his career.

That said, if Losman starts, it shouldn't be that hard for San Diego to contain the Bills' offense. They should take away the long bomb to Evans (obviously), and probably put eight men in the box on the off chance that our offensive line provides some semblance of run blocking.

On offense, San Diego should strongly emphasize short to intermediate passes, thereby exploiting the cushions our CBs are coached to give their receivers. Our defense hasn't done a good job of stopping that kind of attack thus far, so they may as well exploit that weakness.

If Losman starts, and if San Diego does the above things--and does them reasonably well--I would expect it to come away with a win.

HA, did you watch the preseason game vs. Indy? Losman completed a good number of intermediate range passes. I think you're over-simplifying things. Similarly, you're presuming the defensive coaching staff will look at the AZ game tape and just shrug their shoulders.

There's no question I prefer to see Edwards back, but I'm not as quick to suggest Losman starting = loss.

OK, but I thought that I heard that SD is last in terms of pass defense. Please, I have no link and do not know where to get that stuff, but again, I thought this is what they said on Sirius. Merriman is out; this is a team with issues. They will be playing the Patriots while our guys are resting up, and the game is in Buffalo.

I am not calling this an easy win, but what I will not do is set up a barrier of excuses. This is certainly a game that the Bills are capable of winning, even with Losman as the qb.

HA, did you watch the preseason game vs. Indy? Losman completed a good number of intermediate range passes. I think you're over-simplifying things. Similarly, you're presuming the defensive coaching staff will look at the AZ game tape and just shrug their shoulders.

There's no question I prefer to see Edwards back, but I'm not as quick to suggest Losman starting = loss.

Agreed trent is easliy number one here and as much as we dont like JP here he was the 11th rated passer with FC as his OC. He can win a game and we played SD two years ago, JP almost won that game this team is much better now even with JP back there i think we have a shot

I agree that Losman can make an occasional good throw on intermediate passes. By using the defensive game plan I suggested, San Diego would probably get burned on a few of those. The key for San Diego would be to prevent good intermediate passes from happening very often. Suppose they hold us to 3 - 4 intermediate plays like that over the course of the game (which isn't too hard to imagine, because those plays only happen when Losman's primary target is open). If the Bills' running game gets shut down (again), and if the Chargers take away the long bomb to Evans, then under this scenario you're probably looking at 10 or less points for the Bills' offense over the course of the game. Maybe 14 points if the Bills have some success with trick plays, or if the San Diego pass defense is as bad as advertised. I don't see the Bills scoring more than 14 points on offense unless San Diego fails to take away the long bomb to Evans.

There are several reasons why I'm not expecting the Bills' offense to produce more points than that. 1) The offensive line has been playing poorly, and I would expect that to carry over into the San Diego game. 2) Losman lives and dies by the big play. If you keep him from killing you with the long bomb, he's not likely to put together a 10 play drive to do you in. He might gouge you here and there with a good intermediate pass over the middle. But that will be followed up by a Lynch run between the tackles for a 1 yard gain. Lynch will have been met in the backfield, but will have turned what should have been a loss into a small gain. Then maybe a failed screen pass on second down (telegraphed by Losman). Then perhaps a sack on 3rd down, due to some combination of bad offensive line play and Losman's indecisiveness and inability to process information quickly. The Chargers won't be able to stop the Bills' offense completely, but over the course of the game I'd expect them to be able to keep it contained and under control.

The Bills have employed a bend-but-don't break defense, and San Diego clearly has the talent to take advantage of that. The Bills have proven to be much better at defending the run than at stopping short to intermediate passes. If the Chargers emphasize those short to intermediate passes, as the Cardinals did, I would expect them to score significantly more than 14 points on offense.

OK, but I thought that I heard that SD is last in terms of pass defense. Please, I have no link and do not know where to get that stuff, but again, I thought this is what they said on Sirius. Merriman is out; this is a team with issues. They will be playing the Patriots while our guys are resting up, and the game is in Buffalo.

I am not calling this an easy win, but what I will not do is set up a barrier of excuses. This is certainly a game that the Bills are capable of winning, even with Losman as the qb.

Two things have to happen for the Bills to win this game with Losman at QB. 1) The defensive philosophy needs to change. We can't simply give them the underneath stuff while waiting around for them to mess things up. They're more than capable of taking the underneath stuff without messing things up. Our CBs have to give smaller cushions to the guys they cover. Our defense should be predicated on pass breakups, not tackles after the catch. 2) The offensive line has to play its first decent game since week 1.

Both those things need to happen for the Bills to have a solid chance of winning that game. The San Diego defense may or may not be as bad as that statistic would indicate. (The validity of that statistic depends on the quality of offenses they've faced.) But even if it is, they still have a very good offense. In other words, they're a lot like the Cardinals. We can't win a Cardinals-like game without making the two improvements I mentioned above.

Gameplan for what? He's stupid, erratic, heaves a ball in hopes someone will catch it, has no pocket presence, no instincts, and someone told me he often times puts his shoes on the wrong feet.

Clearly, the only thing SD defense needs to do is stand at the line, trade their Yu-Gi-Oh cards and wait for Losman to screw up. There's no need to gameplan. Just show up and let Losman blow the game just like he did in Phoenix when he kept letting Warner complete all those underneath passes.

Jesus. Learn the game, wouldcha?

while he's at it JP should learn to wrap up his tackles and not have any missing

you/we wont find out anything until well into next week. no matter how he is doing, the Bills are going to smartly play their cards close to their chest.

considering the severity (or non-severity rather) of the hit, and his lack of history of concussions, i would bet that he will definitely be playing in the SD game.

i'm really starting to get nervous here. an o/lineman for the panthers is being held out his third week due to a concussion he suffered. then listening to hamden who spoke to him today it did not sound very encouraging. he said he didnt even discuss football or his injury and he didnt want him to talk to long. that does not sound very encouraging to me.

if we have to play JP against SD next sunday our odds of winning go way down IMO. he is the same JP he has always been. no bomb no play or he fumbles or throws an int. he is unfortunatly mr 3 and out and our defense will be on the field all day again like they were in the arizona game.

i'm really starting to get nervous here. an o/lineman for the panthers is being held out his third week due to a concussion he suffered. then listening to hamden who spoke to him today it did not sound very encouraging. he said he didnt even discuss football or his injury and he didnt want him to talk to long. that does not sound very encouraging to me.

if we have to play JP against SD next sunday our odds of winning go way down IMO. he is the same JP he has always been. no bomb no play or he fumbles or throws an int. he is unfortunatly mr 3 and out and our defense will be on the field all day again like they were in the arizona game.

again, the fallacy of trent 'keeping long drives' going was proven incorrect in another thread.