Hit on Edwards dirty?

As I stated in the other thread that's discussing this same subject, I've reviewed the HD of this frame by frame multiple times.

Wilson hit Edwards roughly 1/5 second after the ball left his hand. His helmet struck Edwards close to his armpit, while both players still had their feet on the ground. The force of the collision caused both players feet to come off the ground, and Wilson's momentum caused his helmet to slide or bounce up off of Edwards chin and helmet. There was no direct blow to the head. I seriously doubt there will be a fine, and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Bills didn't even ask the NFL to review the play. It was a hard, but completely clean hit.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised if Trent's injury is actually more a FRONTAL one, much like a boxer gets when he gets clocked in the jaw. Wilson's facemask CLEARLY drives into Trent's jawbone, lifting Trent's own helmet about four good inches up his head. If your replay doesn't show that, you got a bad feed of the game.

There's nothing wrong with my feed. It's the OTA HD from WIVB. I went back and watched it one more time, and saw the same thing. Wilson's initial contact with Edwards was helmet to chest, just next to his armpit. Edwards entire right arm is clearly visible above Wilson's helmet when this contact occurs. Wilson's momentum causes his helmet to slide/bounce up off of Edwards chin/helmet. I'm no doctor, but common sense tells me a deflecting blow does much less damage than an initial blow.

As I stated in the other thread that's discussing this same subject, I've reviewed the HD of this frame by frame multiple times.

Wilson hit Edwards roughly 1/5 second after the ball left his hand. His helmet struck Edwards close to his armpit, while both players still had their feet on the ground. The force of the collision caused both players feet to come off the ground, and Wilson's momentum caused his helmet to slide or bounce up off of Edwards chin and helmet. There was no direct blow to the head. I seriously doubt there will be a fine, and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Bills didn't even ask the NFL to review the play. It was a hard, but completely clean hit.

Yeah, but...

As evidenced here, it's a toss up whether is was intentional or not. That the league has made it a MAJOR issue of contention, I'm pretty sure Wilson will be fined and possibly suspended. The league has a mandate against this and it trying to re-teach players how to come into contact. We saw a very similar play last week -against Roethlesburger I believe- that the league took the hard line on.

Now that play where Wilson tore Lynch's helmet off is an entirely different play and I think it warrents a fine as well.

To the most important question: How is Trent today??

Why don't more players wear the Riddell Revolution, or any of the other helmets designed to prevent concussions. If Edwards was wearing a Revoltion (Like the helmet that Manning wears) there is no way that it almost comes off (exposing his chin) and I bet he stays in the game.

http://www.riddell1.com/newsite/product_in...products_id=368

Actually, the ones that they wear are all custom made for each player for the most part. They are also much higher quality than anything that you can get on the consumer side. I have a good friend who works for Riddell and two of his accounts are the Ravens & Redskins.

In my opinion, that hit on Edwards was dirty. The defender had his head into Edwards' chin, and continued to drive his helmet into Edwards while they were on the ground. I hope that S.O.B. get fined & suspended.

The hit wasn't dirty. The pile drive however could get him a fine by the NFL.

That is if they mean what they say when they want to protect their QB's

its ballet when the concern is hitting a prone quarterback-or thats how the NFL sees it.

He drove his helmet to the chin. then drove the QB to the ground after the release, which is illegal. he continued driving his helmet while trent was down.

$$$$$--he'll be paying for it.

Momentum is not driving the QB to the ground. Sorry to say guys that was a clean hard hit from a very good player if he is fined i will be shocked

I dunno if the hit was dirty or not (don't think it was), but the jump-pass that trent edwards does needs to quit, especially when a defender is bearing down on him. That just invites the head to get driven into the ground...

It was 'clean' by NFL rules, but it was obviously dirty. Wilson picked him up and drove him into the ground with malice. He also ripped off Lynch's helmet later, and Lynch was kneed in the head while on the ground. He's a dirty player -- a typical NFL thug. He did his job, though - he successfully headhunted the Bills best player, and had a near miss on one of the Bills' other best players. Knocking out Edwards was probably the most important reason the Cardinals won. People who think that the hit wasn't dirty are pretty naive in my opinion.

I love how this supposed dirty player made it so obvious that he intended to hurt Edwards by being the first person to alert and call for the Bills staff to come onto the field and check on Trent because he noticed something was wrong and that it brought back memories of the week before with Boldin.

It was not intentional, it was not dirty. If Wilson is fined, then the Bills should be fined for the hit on Warner that busted his chin open

I love how this supposed dirty player made it so obvious that he intended to hurt Edwards by being the first person to alert and call for the Bills staff to come onto the field and check on Trent because he noticed something was wrong and that it brought back memories of the week before with Boldin.

It was not intentional, it was not dirty. If Wilson is fined, then the Bills should be fined for the hit on Warner that busted his chin open

Ah, what a decent soul Wilson is. Did he give Lynch his helmet back after he deliberately ripped it off?

I just saw it on nfl.com's highlight video. It looked like a typical safety blitz to me - come in fast and also high (so you can get your arms up if the QB launches a pass).

In my opinion, that hit on Edwards was dirty. The defender had his head into Edwards' chin, and continued to drive his helmet into Edwards while they were on the ground. I hope that S.O.B. get fined & suspended.

I wouldn't call it dirty, but it was helmet to helmet. You can take a guy out, particularly one that is in a vulnerable position like Trent was after the throw, without a helmet to helmet hit - and it can still be a viscious sack. Don't know if there will be a fine, but I would not be surprized.

I know that Kurt got a bump on his chin, but I could not catch Mitchell getting his helmet in there on the replays. Maybe he scratched him with a nail.

I wouldn't call it dirty, but it was helmet to helmet. You can take a guy out, particularly one that is in a vulnerable position like Trent was after the throw, without a helmet to helmet hit - and it can still be a viscious sack. Don't know if there will be a fine, but I would not be surprized.

I know that Kurt got a bump on his chin, but I could not catch Mitchell getting his helmet in there on the replays. Maybe he scratched him with a nail.

You can take anyone out with almost any kind of hit if they are in a vulnerable position like trent was in. It wasn't a "helmet to Helmet" hit with intentions to injure, it was helmet to helmet because they are around the same height and thats where peoples heads end up if they don't duck

Did Poz help Jones Drew (or was it Jax's other RB?) when he hit him and spun his helmet around while still on his head?

I'm not talking about Poz - I'm talking about Wilson, who showed that he's pretty much a garden variety NFL thug who plays safety (a position with a lot of them - take a look at Jack Tatum's classic *They Call me Assassin*). Leonard Smith was one of those guys, so it's not like the Bills haven't had such players on their team. As for the hit itself, it's far less about head-to-head (or the lack thereof) than the deliberate ramming of Edward's shoulder into the ground as hard as possible. It all seems pretty freaking obvious to me. The NFL is a bottom line business, and knocking out the stud QB for the opposing team is gonna help your team win. You can bet the Cardinals were happy with the result.

I'm not talking about Poz - I'm talking about Wilson, who showed that he's pretty much a garden variety NFL thug who plays safety (a position with a lot of them - take a look at Jack Tatum's classic *They Call me Assassin*). Leonard Smith was one of those guys, so it's not like the Bills haven't had such players on their team. As for the hit itself, it's far less about head-to-head (or the lack thereof) than the deliberate ramming of Edward's shoulder into the ground as hard as possible. It all seems pretty freaking obvious to me. The NFL is a bottom line business, and knocking out the stud QB for the opposing team is gonna help your team win. You can bet the Cardinals were happy with the result.

Why aren't you talking about Poz? You brought up helping Lynch with his helmet so I compared it to a situation where a Bills player did something overly aggressive. I guess its not deliberate when you hit someone and there helmet spins around and does a 180 on someones head then.