The official Biden/Palin debate thread

Didn't Biden say he was against it?

I may be wrong since I was only half-watching, but I could have sworn that to be the case.

He's for civil unions if they give every right that a heterosexual marriage does, but doesn't agree with using the term "marriage," saying that definition is really between a person and their faith. Probably not what the gay and lesbian community would have liked to hear, as calling it "marriage" is personally very important to them. However, that discrepancy was quickly overshadowed by Palin's overt suggestion that being gay or lesbian is a "choice." She is no friend to the gay/lesbian community, nor is McCain.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both were against redefining "marriage" to be anything other than between a man and a woman. Both were for extending equivalent civil rights to gay couples. I don't recall a single substantive point of disagreement they had on that topic.

You weren't listening closely enough, then.

However, that discrepancy was quickly overshadowed by Palin's overt suggestion that being gay or lesbian is a "choice." She is no friend to the gay/lesbian community, nor is McCain.

You're taking one thing, implying it meant another, and expecting people to infer the same thing as you.

She never said anything about "choosing" to be gay or straight. Her comments were specific to choosing a partner or relationship. And before you get your dander up, despite my conservative nature, I'm not stupid enough to think people choose to be gay. But I chose my partner and relationship. You chose your partner and relationship. Why is that different from gays and lesbians choosing their partners and relationships?

Oh, I know why. Because the left is running out of things to piss on Palin about.

IFILL: The next round of -- pardon me, the next round of questions starts with you, Sen. Biden. Do you support, as they do in Alaska, granting same-sex benefits to couples?

BIDEN: Absolutely. Do I support granting same-sex benefits? Absolutely positively. Look, in an Obama-Biden administration, there will be absolutely no distinction from a constitutional standpoint or a legal standpoint between a same-sex and a heterosexual couple.

The fact of the matter is that under the Constitution we should be granted -- same-sex couples should be able to have visitation rights in the hospitals, joint ownership of property, life insurance policies, et cetera. That's only fair.

It's what the Constitution calls for. And so we do support it. We do support making sure that committed couples in a same-sex marriage are guaranteed the same constitutional benefits as it relates to their property rights, their rights of visitation, their rights to insurance, their rights of ownership as heterosexual couples do.

IFILL: Governor, would you support expanding that beyond Alaska to the rest of the nation?

PALIN: Well, not if it goes closer and closer towards redefining the traditional definition of marriage between one man and one woman. And unfortunately that's sometimes where those steps lead.

But I also want to clarify, if there's any kind of suggestion at all from my answer that I would be anything but tolerant of adults in America choosing their partners, choosing relationships that they deem best for themselves, you know, I am tolerant and I have a very diverse family and group of friends and even within that group you would see some who may not agree with me on this issue, some very dear friends who don't agree with me on this issue.

But in that tolerance also, no one would ever propose, not in a McCain-Palin administration, to do anything to prohibit, say, visitations in a hospital or contracts being signed, negotiated between parties.

But I will tell Americans straight up that I don't support defining marriage as anything but between one man and one woman, and I think through nuances we can go round and round about what that actually means.

But I'm being as straight up with Americans as I can in my non- support for anything but a traditional definition of marriage.

IFILL: Let's try to avoid nuance, Senator. Do you support gay marriage?

BIDEN: No. Barack Obama nor I support redefining from a civil side what constitutes marriage. We do not support that. That is basically the decision to be able to be able to be left to faiths and people who practice their faiths the determination what you call it.

The bottom line though is, and I'm glad to hear the governor, I take her at her word, obviously, that she think there should be no civil rights distinction, none whatsoever, between a committed gay couple and a committed heterosexual couple. If that's the case, we really don't have a difference.

IFILL: Is that what your said?

PALIN: Your question to him was whether he supported gay marriage and my answer is the same as his and it is that I do not.

IFILL: Wonderful. You agree. On that note, let's move to foreign policy.

She and Biden went on record as saying they will do everything that the other candidate would do. So to say Palin is no friend to the gay/lesbian community is to say Biden is equally no friend to the gay/lesbian community.

Quite honestly, it's such a moot point in this election, we're wasting time discussing it. But I felt clarification was required.

Does this mean that Palin doesn't believe being gay is a choice? Probably not. I've never met a hard-core Christian who was willing to cross the Bible. But that's not what she said in the debate.

You're taking one thing, implying it meant another, and expecting people to infer the same thing as you.

She never said anything about "choosing" to be gay or straight. Her comments were specific to choosing a partner or relationship. And before you get your dander up, despite my conservative nature, I'm not stupid enough to think people choose to be gay. But I chose my partner and relationship. You chose your partner and relationship. Why is that different from gays and lesbians choosing their partners and relationships?

Oh, I know why. Because the left is running out of things to piss on Palin about.

She and Biden went on record as saying they will do everything that the other candidate would do. So to say Palin is no friend to the gay/lesbian community is to say Biden is equally no friend to the gay/lesbian community.

Quite honestly, it's such a moot point in this election, we're wasting time discussing it. But I felt clarification was required.

Does this mean that Palin doesn't believe being gay is a choice? Probably not. I've never met a hard-core Christian who was willing to cross the Bible. But that's not what she said in the debate.

She's already gone on record that she thinks it's a choice.

Palin on Abortion and Gays

But as for homosexuality, I am not going to judge Americans and the decisions that they make in their adult personal relationships. I have one of my absolute best friends for the last 30 years happens to be gay, and I love her dearly. And she is not my “gay friend,” she is one of my best friends, who happens to have made a choice that isn’t a choice I would have made. But I am not going to judge people.

I can guarantee you that every single gay or lesbian person watching that "debate" knew exactly what she meant when she said:

But I also want to clarify, if there's any kind of suggestion at all from my answer that I would be anything but tolerant of adults in America choosing their partners, ...

Clearly not a huge campaign issue for you, but it's a big issue for some.

She's already gone on record that she thinks it's a choice.

Palin on Abortion and Gays

I can guarantee you that every single gay or lesbian person watching that "debate" knew exactly what she meant when she said:

Clearly not a huge campaign issue for you, but it's a big issue for some.

Sounds like she's saying she's tolerant of people, even when she doesn't agree with them.

You, of course, being the conssumate partisan shill (and a proudly self-proclaimed partisan shill, at that), try to put the absolute worst spin possible on it because it came from a Republican. LA nailed it: you're taking one thing, implying it meant another, and expecting people to infer the same thing as you.

Sounds like she's saying she's tolerant of people, even when she doesn't agree with them.

You, of course, being the conssumate partisan shill (and a proudly self-proclaimed partisan shill, at that), try to put the absolute worst spin possible on it because it came from a Republican. LA nailed it: you're taking one thing, implying it meant another, and expecting people to infer the same thing as you.

Go do a scan of the tubes. The GLBT community knows exactly what she was implying.

He picks up illegal aliens and pays them to suffocate him while he pleasures himself

He also does the same thing at Joanne Fabric

This belongs on the "Biden Bad" thread doesn't it?

What does he do at Hobby Lobby?

I started channel surfing after the debate, first MSNBC, where I couldn't take Palin did great Buchannan vs Palin sucked Maddow. Then it was on to FOX News & CNN.

On FOX News they had a group of undecided voters. They asked the group who won the debate. Most raised their hands for Palin.

On CNN they had a group of undecided voters. They asked the group who won the debate. Most raised their hands for Biden.

At that point I couldn't take it anymore & turned off the post debate spin.

I mentioned this earlier, but for some reason I just left it on MSNBC where, all week long they were promoting this as the most important VP debate in the history of mankind. Once Palin got done with him, the post-debate discussion became "Does this debate really even matter???" :lol::beer:

I started channel surfing after the debate, first MSNBC, where I couldn't take Palin did great Buchannan vs Palin sucked Maddow. Then it was on to FOX News & CNN.

On FOX News they had a group of undecided voters. They asked the group who won the debate. Most raised their hands for Palin.

On CNN they had a group of undecided voters. They asked the group who won the debate. Most raised their hands for Biden.

CBS did an entire room full of "undecided voters" that did the little dial thing for when they did and didn't like what they were hearing. Most seemed to be in favor of Obama/Biden. 3/4 of the way through the segment they quickly slipped in that most of the people in the room were already leaning towards Obama/Biden before the debate. :lol:

One guy raised his hand to show support for Palin and the reporter asked him what it was he liked about her. The guy said that Palin was the only one who answered the questions. Noticing an unusual accent, the reporter then asked the guy where he was from and he said "Idaho." The reporter looked into the camera as if to say "what else would you expect from a redneck from Idaho" and then moved on to the next person. :beer:

Not sure if this has been brought up, since one glance at the last page has discouraged me from reading the previous eight, but...

Am I correct in thinking based on last the Biden-Palin exchange that a McCain administration believes Climate Change is real and must be stopped now, while an Obama administration thinks it is more important to first prove whether or not it is man-made before taking action?

Not sure if this has been brought up, since one glance at the last page has discouraged me from reading the previous eight, but...

Am I correct in thinking based on last the Biden-Palin exchange that a McCain administration believes Climate Change is real and must be stopped now, while an Obama administration thinks it is more important to first prove whether or not it is man-made before taking action?

No. Obiden's position on the issue is that American consumers are evil and must be stopped at all costs from doing anything other than selling clean coal technology to the Chinese. McPalin...I'm not quite sure anymore where they stand on the issue, but it has something to do with Palin being from Alaska.

Da Big Man: I love America so much I put a flag tatoo on my penis

Crayonz: If you elect me president I'll change the flag so that Da Big Man will have a flag of a non-existant country on his penis.

Hey rtard, its spelled existent. And they can't tattoo big enough for my unit, and what the F are you doing talking about my man business on a thread that I have no input on. You sweet on me boy? I could out debate you withy three quarters of my brain tied behind my back. You narrow minded, dick talking queer! :thumbsup:

Hey rtard, its spelled existent. And they can't tattoo big enough for my unit, and what the F are you doing talking about my man business on a thread that I have no input on. You sweet on me boy? I could out debate you withy three quarters of my brain tied behind my back. You narrow minded, dick talking queer! :devil:

They let Patriot fans on this board?

:thumbsup:

Hey rtard, its spelled existent. And they can't tattoo big enough for my unit, and what the F are you doing talking about my man business on a thread that I have no input on. You sweet on me boy? I could out debate you withy three quarters of my brain tied behind my back. You narrow minded, dick talking queer! :thumbsup:

When did you learn how to spell??? You have to look that one up on your instant check on this website?

Careful on the accusation. I am sure I can find one post of yours with at least three misspellings. But good for you with that catch, maybe old parrots can learn new tricks?