The official Biden/Palin debate thread

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope I think Palin exhibits how the extreme right have taken over the party. McCain caved into the right wing and because of that may lose this election. BTW Biden is an idiot as well and I was amazed that neither of these two bumbling idiots tripped over their brains or tounges.

Agreed on Palin -- she was a desperation pick; he needed someone to save the convention (which she did), energize the base (which she did), and most importantly, pull some of the Hillary vote (which she is not doing now that the initial bounce has subsided).

Actualy I think most of america would consider themselves in this camp problem is that neither party is fiscally conservative anymore.

I was just gonna say the same thing. Not only is there no fiscally conservative party, there are no fiscal conservatives. Period!

Palin was extremely well prepped. My wife and I turned to each other halfway through and asked "Did the Republicans set up a rope-a-dope?" Helped a lot, too, that Biden was off his rocker a few times (so you want to revalue my mortgage, Joe? Not quite sure what I really think about that. And you must be the ONLY person on the planet who didn't know Bush was going to invade Iraq when you voted him the authority.)

Overall...Palin grated on me. Her "awww, shucks, I'm just a country girl in the big city" demeanor gets very wearing in short order, and her transitions from that to polished, almost canned statements was too obvious to me (as was her inability to stick to the question asked). I will give her credit for the "Y'know, for a ticket running on change, you're sure doing a lot of looking back to the past, Joe" moment, which I thought was the highlight of either debate so far. I also think that her ability to speak to the TV audience, and not condescend to them, served her well. Probably not well enough though.

Now I just have to explain to my wife why I snickered the couple of times Palin mentioned "tapping" the office of the Vice Presidency...

Any ideas on what Joe Biden does at Home Depot?

Seeing as he looks like a hippy who hurried up and got a haircut so he could run for office.......

It does not involve building or painting.

It clearly involves a tool.

It could involve stalking a 17 year old check out girl until her next birthday

They might have the best lights for growing pot in your house

Hippies are not hard to figure. They are either after sex with bad looking women or drugs or other peoples hard work and money. I doubt he goes their to personally extract more txes so it probably involves the lights or the tie-dye checkout girl.

Actualy I think most of america would consider themselves in this camp problem is that neither party is fiscally conservative anymore.

The parties are the actual problem. I know a lot of friends that are fairly articulate and intelligent (I am the slow friend ok?) that started out Dem or Repub back in the 80s. We used to have vicious arguments in our teens to early 20s. Nowadays, we mostly agree. IMO it is time for at least a 3rd party. A legitimate one.

The parties are the actual problem. I know a lot of friends that are fairly articulate and intelligent (I am the slow friend ok?) that started out Dem or Repub back in the 80s. We used to have vicious arguments in our teens to early 20s. Nowadays, we mostly agree. IMO it is time for at least a 3rd party. A legitimate one.

We could always start the PPP party.

Dwight Drane for Treasury Secretary...pin the dollar to silver... :sick::sick::sick:

My daughter hosted a debate-watching party in her dorm. About 40 minutes in she texted me "SHE SAYS "NUCLEAR" LIKE GWB! WE'RE GONNA PUKE".

:sick:

She did about as expected. I've been through politican campaign strategy training and it's all about "staying on message". That's what she did. You just have to wonder whether she actually UNDERSTANDS and could ARTICULATE the message.

Yeh right.

Palin was extremely well prepped. My wife and I turned to each other halfway through and asked "Did the Republicans set up a rope-a-dope?"

I made a similar comment earlier that maybe the strategy was to make her look like a dope in these TV interviews so that she couldnt look worse in the debate. So they got alot of folks to tune in to hear a gaffe or two and maybe some now thinks shes got it.

BIDEN: Look, the people in my neighborhood, they get it. They get it. They know they've been getting the short end of the stick. So walk with me in my neighborhood, go back to my old neighborhood in Claymont, an old steel town or go up to Scranton with me. These people know the middle class has gotten the short end. The wealthy have done very well. Corporate America has been rewarded. It's time we change it. Barack Obama will change it.

IFILL: Governor?

PALIN: Say it ain't so, Joe, there you go again pointing backwards again.

You just have to wonder whether she actually UNDERSTANDS and could ARTICULATE the message.

I think I said that to my wife at some point, too. It was when she was giving one of the foreign policy answers, and the answer was clear and coherent and I commented "She is extremely well-prepped, because she clearly has no understanding of what she just said."

Really, to be that well prepared in that short a time does demonstrate quite a bit more intelligence than she's been given credit for, I think. What she doesn't understand now, I suspect she would pick up reasonably quickly (more quickly than most of the people on this board would). Still wouldn't solve the problem of her speaking the English language as though she learned it from wolves, though...

BIDEN: Look, the people in my neighborhood, they get it. They get it. They know they've been getting the short end of the stick. So walk with me in my neighborhood, go back to my old neighborhood in Claymont, an old steel town or go up to Scranton with me. These people know the middle class has gotten the short end. The wealthy have done very well. Corporate America has been rewarded. It's time we change it. Barack Obama will change it.

IFILL: Governor?

PALIN: Say it ain't so, Joe, there you go again pointing backwards again.

Biden should bring back the steel mills so he can shut them down and prove how much he loves the environment.

I think I said that to my wife at some point, too. It was when she was giving one of the foreign policy answers, and the answer was clear and coherent and I commented "She is extremely well-prepped, because she clearly has no understanding of what she just said."

Really, to be that well prepared in that short a time does demonstrate quite a bit more intelligence than she's been given credit for, I think. What she doesn't understand now, I suspect she would pick up reasonably quickly (more quickly than most of the people on this board would). Still wouldn't solve the problem of her speaking the English language as though she learned it from wolves, though...

My wife and I used the DVR alot since we had to rewind to catch the question again since the answer sometimes didnt match.

My daughter hosted a debate-watching party in her dorm. About 40 minutes in she texted me "SHE SAYS "NUCLEAR" LIKE GWB! WE'RE GONNA PUKE".

Dude.

That was funny.

Plus she calls the people from Bosnia Bosnians. DUH. Everyone like Joe knows they are Bozniaks.

I actually started to feel bad for Palin. She obviously was filled with talking points, and no matter what the question was, she would just parrot back what her handlers told her, regardless that it didn't answer the question. She's clearly not ready to think on her feet on the multitude of issues. McCain should do the honorable thing and let her withdraw with dignity. Appoint another VP candidate like Ridge or Liebermann who we could at least feel comfortable that they have a grasp of the details of the issues facing a president. I just can't imagine her being president if something happened to McCain.

My wife and I used the DVR alot since we had to rewind to catch the question again since the answer sometimes didnt match.

On either side. I don't know what worries me more, that these two people were bozos, or that they seemed to be less 'bozoish" than their running mates. :sick:

I'll give them BOTH credit for one thing, though: this felt like an actual, honest-to-God debate, not the typical "I'll ask a question, you each give a canned response, then you each give a canned rebuttal, then I'll ask the next question." As annoying as it was, their willingness to talk about what they wanted and not where Ifill directed them contributed to that. You don't often see honest back-and-forth between candidates in a debate. I felt like I was watching a decent middleweight fight.

A Special Olympics middleweight fight, maybe...but a middleweight fight nonetheless.

I'm still scratching my head over this one:

Palin:

No, no. Of course, we know what a vice president does. And that's not only to preside over the Senate and will take that position very seriously also. I'm thankful the Constitution would allow a bit more authority given to the vice president if that vice president so chose to exert it in working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of the president's policies and making sure too that our president understands what our strengths are. John McCain and I have had good conversations about where I would lead with his agenda. That is energy independence in America and reform of government over all, and then working with families of children with special needs. That's near and dear to my heart also. In those arenas, John McCain has already tapped me and said, that's where I want you, I want you to lead. I said, I can't wait to get and there go to work with you.

Did I miss an amendment or something?