Costly win for Stillers

Lori

Nice Pyrrhic reference, but easy on the hyperbole. A "Pyrrhic" victory would have been if Big Ben went down.

The backup RB and an average OL going down isnt that bad.

Yeah, but I like the word. :ph34r:

Besides, as bad as that O-line was with Simmons, can you imagine what they're going to look like without him?

Costly win indeed. FWIW, I was rather impressed with Baltimore, the little bit of the game I watched. I don't believe they're a true championship contender, but they'll beat some teams up.

Scheduling note: the Thumbtacks are at Baltimore next week. That should be a fun one to watch, if you enjoy knock-down, drag-em-out slobberknockers.

Costly win indeed. FWIW, I was rather impressed with Baltimore, the little bit of the game I watched. I don't believe they're a true championship contender, but they'll beat some teams up.

I was impressed with Flacco. It was the first time I had seen him play and he looked pretty solid and confident...until the second half.

Looks like the Baltimore defense is returning to form, too.

It's even better then that the Steelers won. Flacco looked really good for a rookie and has a cannon for an arm, and the Ravens looked to be in complete control until their meltdown about 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter.

Nice Pyrrhic reference, but easy on the hyperbole. A "Pyrrhic" victory would have been if Big Ben went down.

The backup RB and an average OL going down isnt that bad.

Are you trying to put her between Scylla and Charybdis?

Baltimore may have a great defense, and Flacco looks good, but he can't keep it up for a whole season. You also can't discount what 15 straight games without a bye will do to a team.

I don't know that we can say Flacco looks "good" yet. The reins are still being held tightly. Baltimore runs more than any team in the league (even the Raiders). He looks like a rookie. He's also fumbling a lot.

Let's not forget, the Ravens didn't plan on having Flacco start the season, but Boller and Troy Smith were lost to injury.

I'll agree he doesn't look intimidated or out of place, but teams are going to load up against the run and he's got to show something in the passing game.

Thankfully, he has a super defense that should give him the ball in great field position a number of times a game.

I find myself pulling a bit for the Ravens now that Billick is gone. That guy just rubbed me the wrong way.

Now, if Lori uses the word "Draconian" in a sentence I'll be real impressed :ph34r:

Swagger beats draconian 10 ways to Sunday.

That was one hard fought game last night.

A thought regarding Mendenhall--he walked off the field on his own, no stoppage in play and he was able to look relatively normal doing it. Tough cookie.

A thought regarding Mendenhall--he walked off the field on his own, no stoppage in play and he was able to look relatively normal doing it. Tough cookie.

Agreed. That welcome-to-the-NFL hit was brutal though. Like he hit a wall.

Too bad he's out for the season, though I'm sure the lesson was learned regarding the pregame smack talk.

From Tomlin's postgame PC: Rashad Mendenhall (shoulder fracture) and Kendall Simmons (Achilles) will be placed on I.R.

Talk about Pyrrhic victories ...

You must write for ESPN radio. I just heard Dan "the Duke" Davis use "Pyrrhic" to describe the Stillers' victory last night.