Speculation: Jacobs to sell Bruins, buy Bills?

SonOfWade

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? You must not follow hockey.

I follow hockey and I know about his rep in Boston. That has nothing to do with this. You're saying you might rather have the Bills leave Buffalo than have Jacobs own the team. Well, I would rather lose a couple fingers than have the Bills leave Buffalo. So I cannot imagine how the team being bought by a guy who has proven he is dedicated to WNY could be worse than losing the team all together, no matter how terrible you think the guy is.

I can see where Ray Finkle is coming from. The Bruins used to be THE team in Boston all those years back with Bobby Or. Red Sox were terrible, nobody cared about the Pats* until they won a Superbowl (always #4 team there), and they hated the Celtics cuz they had, uh oh, Black Players! Racist bastards...

Nobody cares about the Bruins anymore in Boston because Jacobs has never much cared about the team. Obviously, there are other factors: 1.) Boston is the worst bandwagon city in all of sports, and 2.) all three other major teams winning championships in the past 5 years has drowned any publicity the Bruins may get.

Now Jacobs has made some strides in recent years, but it is probably too late for the people of Boston to ever forget his 35 years of terrible management. He is consistently voted one of the worst owners in all of sports (I guess there is one way Buffalo's been consistently saying FU to Boston!) Him getting a fresh start may be best for both Bruins fans and himself. Like any owner, I'm sure he's learned from past mistakes, but at the same time views himself as a "savior" of his team, and that fans should just be happy they have somebody like him to run a team. Call it a owner/rich person ego trip.

If he did buy the Bills, it would be bittersweet. We would know that the team's future in Buffalo would be on solid ground, but we'd also know that we would never be active in free agency/retaining players ever again. But, IF he did buy the team, we have no idea that he'd be a cheapskate or not. Hey, you never know?

But, one thing to add is that any owner who buys the bills will be saddled with a ridiculously high debt, and I'm almost positive we'll hear the same moaning and groaning about how high the cost of running a team in this city will be.

That being said, anyway, anyhow we can keep this team in this city is probably a good thing.

there's also a huge difference between the NFL and the NHL. An NHL team struggles to even make a profit, with the NFL its just a question of how much profit you want to have.

Yea but not in Boston. It is the 6th largest market, and they consistently are in the bottom of the league in attendance (I think I saw the numbers like 12-13,000). Even with poor attendance and fan apathy, Jacob's Bruins are in the top ten revenue every year. Jacobs doesnt even have to try in Boston (which he obviously doesn't), and he still makes money. Can't necessarily say the same in Buffalo. Damn these big market teams!

"If he did buy the Bills, it would be bittersweet. We would know that the team's future in Buffalo would be on solid ground, but we'd also know that we would never be active in free agency/retaining players ever again. But, IF he did buy the team, we have no idea that he'd be a cheapskate or not. Hey, you never know?"

Im not sure what team you guys are a fan of...but the team i root fo has NEVER been able to keep players or be active in free agency...why would more of the same be earthshattering all of a sudden?!

"If he did buy the Bills, it would be bittersweet. We would know that the team's future in Buffalo would be on solid ground, but we'd also know that we would never be active in free agency/retaining players ever again. But, IF he did buy the team, we have no idea that he'd be a cheapskate or not. Hey, you never know?"

Im not sure what team you guys are a fan of...but the team i root fo has NEVER been able to keep players or be active in free agency...why would more of the same be earthshattering all of a sudden?!

If you read my entire post I said "I'm sure we'll hear the same moaning and groaning" about not being able to be competitive - a la Ralph, Galisano, and John Regis. Any guy that buys this team will say the same thing, Jacobs or not. But Jacobs in Boston makes all three look like Jerry Jones. That being said, ANYWAY, ANYHOW, we need to keep this team in Buffalo, even if it means another tight fisted owner.

Broonz fans everywhere would rejoice at this news.

But while dumping the Bruins would make Jacobs eligible to buy the Bills, there's still the minor detail about Ralph saying he's not selling the team ...

True enough. But, like the rest of us, Ralph is dying. It's all depends on "when", of course.

Since when are the Bills not active in free agency?

Broonz fans everywhere would rejoice at this news.

But while dumping the Bruins would make Jacobs eligible to buy the Bills, there's still the minor detail about Ralph saying he's not selling the team ...

Yeah Ralph could live another 10 years...the old fart. He is pretty effin healthy for a 90 yr old.

Didn't see this anywhere on the board, so I thought I'd post it.

I heard this being discussed on WGR this morning, and now there is an interview with sportswriter Jim Kelley on WBEN. While Kelley says it's still rumor and speculation, he says with regard to the sale of the Bruins "that where there's smoke, there's fire" and that Jacobs was one of the people initially interested in owning the expansion Cleveland Browns.

What's with all this financial speculation driving the market these days?

He's an idiot if the thinks he has a chance at the Bills right now when Ralph is still upright and breathing!

Very true, Lori. Though it is also true that Delaware North has recently taken over Bills merchandising operations (including the store in Rochester), which suggests an effort to get a foot in the door.

Those bastards buy their merchandise from the "sports exchange" and then, mark it up four to five dollars higher than what Reebok lists as MSRP. :devil:

Kind of like selling cars before there were window stickers. :lol:

Those bastards buy their merchandise from the "sports exchange" and then, mark it up four to five dollars higher than what Reebok lists as MSRP. :devil:

Kind of like selling cars before there were window stickers. :lol:

Oh don't get me started on those folks... I have a relative who works in the Rachacha store, and he and his colleagues are very sorry the Bills spun it off to DN....