A Year of Early Mega Collapses

scribo

The ascent of the AFC's underdogs early in this season has been remarkable. But to me, the most amazing aspect thus far is the collective collapse of the favored AFC teams.

Yes, Brady*s knee is center stage and blamed for the Pats* apparent unraveling, but their defense was straight up destroyed Sunday. I don't recall ever seeing a Bellychick-coached team so confused, out of position and pushed around. The Pats* had (and still have) a chance to show they are more than just the supporting cast of a future HOF QB.

Everyone knew the Jests shouldn't have been among the favored, but they were, so I won't waste my typing just to preach to the choir.

The Colts and Jags have suffered serious rashes of injuries, but they both still have their real stars. They just collectively dropped their level of play to average. Many thought Manning could just will wins for this team. Not so, obviously. The Jags were many people's Super Bowl pick if not the Pats*. I would say that is now clearly a bad prediction.

The Browns may be the most disappointing team in the NFL. I really thought they had an above-average team last season and only improved in the off-season. Well, they are playing below average and don't seem to have what it takes to turn it around this year. Last year's breakout player of the year (Anderson) is close to being benched, it is reported. What a disaster this is for that franchise.

The Chargers got screwed by the refs against their biggest rival and lost a last-second heart-breaker in the season opener. OK, just bad luck? Maybe, but that was the story of the year for the Bills last season. That's what happens to teams on the cusp but ones that will be on the outside looking in come winter. The Chargers have the most talent-laden roster in the NFL. The have to win now, and they aren't. If you cannot win the close ones...

The Steelers didn't really collapse, yet. It will be interesting to see how they rebound from the physical loss to Philly.

It's a long season, and we've only just begun, but it is fantastic that these teams have started off so lackluster. It is just what the sport needed as the leaugue's famed parity was nearly endangered.

The ascent of the AFC's underdogs early in this season has been remarkable. But to me, the most amazing aspect thus far is the collective collapse of the favored AFC teams.

Yes, Brady*s knee is center stage and blamed for the Pats* apparent unraveling, but their defense was straight up destroyed Sunday. I don't recall ever seeing a Bellychick-coached team so confused, out of position and pushed around. The Pats* had (and still have) a chance to show they are more than just the supporting cast of a future HOF QB.

Everyone knew the Jests shouldn't have been among the favored, but they were, so I won't waste my typing just to preach to the choir.

The Colts and Jags have suffered serious rashes of injuries, but they both still have their real stars. They just collectively dropped their level of play to average. Many thought Manning could just will wins for this team. Not so, obviously. The Jags were many people's Super Bowl pick if not the Pats*. I would say that is now clearly a bad prediction.

The Browns may be the most disappointing team in the NFL. I really thought they had an above-average team last season and only improved in the off-season. Well, they are playing below average and don't seem to have what it takes to turn it around this year. Last year's breakout player of the year (Anderson) is close to being benched, it is reported. What a disaster this is for that franchise.

The Chargers got screwed by the refs against their biggest rival and lost a last-second heart-breaker in the season opener. OK, just bad luck? Maybe, but that was the story of the year for the Bills last season. That's what happens to teams on the cusp but ones that will be on the outside looking in come winter. The Chargers have the most talent-laden roster in the NFL. The have to win now, and they aren't. If you cannot win the close ones...

The Steelers didn't really collapse, yet. It will be interesting to see how they rebound from the physical loss to Philly.

It's a long season, and we've only just begun, but it is fantastic that these teams have started off so lackluster. It is just what the sport needed as the leaugue's famed parity was nearly endangered.

San Diego started 1-3 last year and rebounded to finish with a playoff spot and a place in the AFC Championship. With their roster, I expect them to be there again. However with Merriman and Castillo both possibly out, their defense becomes very suspect.

The surprise for me is Tennessee. Our course, I really shouldn't be surprised as Jeff Fisher is possibly the most under-rated coach in the league and probably one of the best. I would kill to see him behind our bench. No one does so much with so little like he does.

Steelers will always be competitive.

The whole cycle of the NFL is interesting. When the Bills were going to 4 SuperBowls, the NFC was the dominant conference. Unfortunately we were never better than the NFC's best team. When the Bills started to decline in the mid-late 90's, the AFC became the dominant conference and ripped off several SB victories. Now the Bills are becoming good again, and the NFC is starting to emerge as the deeper conference (and Giants upset Pats last year). Wouldn't it be weird to meet Dallas in the SB again?

FWIW, I love seeing the Pats, Colts, Jags, Chargers, etc.. start losing. These teams (and their fans) have gotten so used to winning, it's hard for them to comprehend losing. No team in the NFL is going to be on top of the hill forever.

While I'm typing this. Colin Cowherd is gushing over Trent Edwards now being a top 10 NFL QB.

The whole cycle of the NFL is interesting. When the Bills were going to 4 SuperBowls, the NFC was the dominant conference. Unfortunately we were never better than the NFC's best team. When the Bills started to decline in the mid-late 90's, the AFC became the dominant conference and ripped off several SB victories. Now the Bills are becoming good again, and the NFC is starting to emerge as the deeper conference (and Giants upset Pats last year). Wouldn't it be weird to meet Dallas in the SB again?

FWIW, I love seeing the Pats, Colts, Jags, Chargers, etc.. start losing. These teams (and their fans) have gotten so used to winning, it's hard for them to comprehend losing. No team in the NFL is going to be on top of the hill forever.

While I'm typing this. Colin Cowherd is gushing over Trent Edwards now being a top 10 NFL QB.

I really think Indy & NE our going to have a tough time making the playoffs this year. Indy just looks old & out of synch.

I have my theories on NE. Tom Jackson said it best, Brady hid alot of NE's weaknesses, especially on defense. I will not try to argue that their d line is top 5 but their LBs are slow & the secondary has been average for years. They lost their best coverage guy in Samuel. I think alot of these weaknesses were covered up last year because NE was always playing with a lead. We will see what happens. I do not want to count them out, I have done that too many times & have been burned. My theory has always been take Brady out of the mix & they become an average team. I really think Brady is that good & brings that much confidence to his team. It will be interesting to see if my theory has been correct all these years.

Never thought the Browns were good. All hype because they had the easiest sked last season. This year they have one of the toughest schedules. Knew they were in for a fall. Kinda like the hype for the Bronco's this early year. No way they should have beat the Chargers and what's going to kill them is their total lack of defense. They looked awful against the Saints.

It is a loooong season. Teams often end up looking and playing very differently at the end of the season than they do at the beginning. I fully expect teams like Jacksonville and San Diego to be playing well by mid-season, and despite crapping the bed New England should be there as well.

I blame the lack of being able to cheat for the pats* collapse. Brady would be playing no better than cassel.

Colts are long overdue for a few losses. About time it happened. Chargers are fine. I hope this all teaches you talking heads who assume that the playoff temas from the previous year are going to be the same teams in the next year. This is the NFL, things change quickly, and you cannot predict anything. That is the reason we watch.

Everybody seems to have an excuse (age, injuries, etc.), except Cleveland. I agree they had an easier schedule last year, but am I missing anything else? Did they lose anyone? Didn't they get everyone back healthy?

Everybody seems to have an excuse (age, injuries, etc.), except Cleveland. I agree they had an easier schedule last year, but am I missing anything else? Did they lose anyone? Didn't they get everyone back healthy?

Here's the injury reports prior to Sunday's games. In my observations, the ones listed as "doubtful" seldom suit up.