[please fix subject]

K-Gun10

Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 1:57 PM ET | Link

COULD WHITNER FACE SUSPENSION?: It doesn’t seem likely since it wasn’t a tackle meant to injure, but it bears watching to see if Donte Whitner’s tackle of Johnnie Lee Higgins five yards deep in the end zone following his 84-yard touchdown catch and run will draw any disciplinary action from the league in the wake of Commissioner Goodell’s memo on player safety issued last week.

The memo, which was sent to all teams emphasized the importance of player safety and that on field conduct that risks injuries will result in severe penalties. The memo read as follows:

"Player safety on the field is important to all of us in the NFL. Football is a tough game and we need to do everything possible to protect all players--offense, defense, and special teams--from unnecessary injury caused by illegal and dangerous hits.

"From this point forward, you should be clear on the following point: Any conduct that unnecessarily risks the safety of other players has no role in the game of football and will be disciplined at increased levels, including on a first offense.

"Playing by the rules shows respect for your fellow players. No one wants to see unnecessary injuries. Let's have a safe and exciting 2008 season."

Tampa Bay cornerback Elbert Mack was suspended for a game last week after he had a helmet-to-helmet hit on Atlanta QB Matt Ryan during an interception return in Week 2.

Bills head coach Dick Jauron said he read the Commissioner’s memo to the entire team last week. And while he understood Whitner’s anger over being shown up by Higgins he felt it would have been best to take the 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff.

“Obviously you don’t want that to happen,” said Jauron of Whitner’s hit. “But (Higgins) should have been flagged for taunting. You’d like to get that 15 yards and not have it canceled out. It is infuriating. There is no doubt about it, but (Whitner’s) got to control himself because it could have been a big advantage for us on their kickoff and added to our return. That’s a first down and a half. In the heat of the battle you can see it happening, but I’m sure he’d like to have that play back.”

When asked if he anticipates Whitner possibly facing any league action in the wake of the commissioner’s memo based on how it reads, Jauron chose to leave that to the league’s head man.

“I read it to the team, but I don’t interpret it,” said Jauron of Goodell's memo. “That’s the commissioner’s job. I don’t have a clue what he’ll do with that. Hopefully not much. Again, I wish he had control, but you can certainly understand why he was a little upset.”

Just curious: how do you take a story that starts with "Could Whitner Face Suspension? It doesn't seem likely..." and turn that into "Whitner Could Face Suspension!"

Didn't our gummint do that with weapons of mass destr......OW....HEY.....OUCH....NO HITTING!!!!!

If they don't even fine the Jags DT for his helmet to helmet on TE last week (on the play when the DT recovered the fumbled), they won't fine/suspend Whitner. If tackling becomes a punishable offense, the league is on its way down.

the memo was sent out due to unnessary head to head hits to QB's. Whitner's tackle isn't an illegal tackle technically. He didn't horse collar the guy or do a spear or something. It's a personal foul like if you hit someone who is out of bounds. If Rodger Goodell suspends Whitner he is tredding on a line that he should probably stay off of.

If he is I will find Goodell and punch him in his face.

Pay me some cash and I'll have my wife do it. She works in the same building as the NFL offices and sees Goodell in the elevator every now and then.

Tampa Bay cornerback Elbert Mack was suspended for a game last week after he had a helmet-to-helmet hit on Atlanta QB Matt Ryan during an interception return in Week 2.

I think Mack's suspension had more to do with the fact that it was his second offense in three weeks, and both were hits on QB's. He was fined $5,000 for an unnecessary roughness penalty after hitting the Houston QB in the Bucs' final preseason game and then went helmet-to-helmet with Matt Ryan in Week 2.

Hopefully this being Whitner's first offense and against a non-QB will result in just a fine, one I'm sure his teammates will happily kick in to cover.

I think Mack's suspension had more to do with the fact that it was his second offense in three weeks, and both were hits on QB's. He was fined $5,000 for an unnecessary roughness penalty after hitting the Houston QB in the Bucs' final preseason game and then went helmet-to-helmet with Matt Ryan in Week 2.

Hopefully this being Whitner's first offense and against a non-QB will result in just a fine, one I'm sure his teammates will happily kick in to cover.

Hey, a certain unnamed d-lineman with a history only gets fined for taking shots at QB's knees. If that kind of thing doesn't get a suspension, Whitner's tackle shouldn't even result in a fine.

Hey, a certain unnamed d-lineman with a history only gets fined for taking shots at QB's knees. If that kind of thing doesn't get a suspension, Whitner's tackle shouldn't even result in a fine.

Yes, but don't discount the fact that the unnamed d-lineman with a history of cheap shots plays for the league's darlings and the owner who pushed for Goodell to get the commish job. That probably better explains the unnamed d-lineman's lack of punishment than serves as a barometer by which to determine punishment for non-P*ts players.

If they don't even fine the Jags DT for his helmet to helmet on TE last week (on the play when the DT recovered the fumbled), they won't fine/suspend Whitner. If tackling becomes a punishable offense, the league is on its way down.

Jags hit was on the field of play while things were live. Whitner's hit was after the play after Higgins crossed the endzone line.