A Simple Solution to the Blown Call in Denver...

VJ91

Here's the simple rule change for next season:

On close calls where change of possession may or may not be the outcome, officials will NOT blow the whistle until the play comes to an end. That's it, as easy as that. So Ed Hocule doesn't have to have his 18 year reputation ruined because of one horrible call where he blew his whistle for an incomplete pass. Forget automatic whistles on plays that close now that replay is such an instrumental part of the NFL.

What's the worst that could have happened had Ed not blown his whistle, allowed the play to end, and then not ruled until he looked at the monitor? He still could have ruled an incomplete pass if the evidence was on the screen, and it still would have been Broncos ball at the same line of scrimmage.

But look at the best outcome of swallowing his whistle on that play! Chargers get the ball, even the Broncos admitted it was a fumble, and Ed Hocule does not get "marked down" by the NFL. San Diego doesn't feel cheated, and life goes on.

I have always hated the whistle that ruins the chance for a replay. Now it's time to get rid of it once and for all. It doesn't happen that many times in a game, and players are programed to play until they hear the whistle blow in any curcumstance. So I don't buy the crap that players could get hurt. Just let the play run it's course, owners, and then this can never happen again.

Yup. I have no idea why this wasn't protocol before. If it's a really tough, 50/50 call live, then the NFL needs to install a system where the official can review a call during any time of the game. And for the haters who will argue, "it will slow the game down," I will gladly allow for 5 more minutes a ref needs so the Bills never get !@#$ed like the Chargers did.

I actually see this happening more in the NFL. Officials are not as quick on the whistle, as they have been in the past. Still, even with an edict to swallow the whistle on this sort of play (can't see how that would be worded...but I digress...) you are still going to have instances where the whistle blows, and a mistake was made. I don't think there is a solution that is fail safe.

The explanation is that on plays where it is ruled an incomplete pass, they don't want QB's to potentially get T-rolled by an overzealous D-lineman attempting to make sure they are out of the play. From the explanation Jeff Fisher gave, that is basically the reason incomplete passes are blown dead so quick---to protect the QB from potential injury...he also added that they will be taking a look at this situation over the offseason, but doubts the rule will be changed.

Yup. I have no idea why this wasn't protocol before. If it's a really tough, 50/50 call live, then the NFL needs to install a system where the official can review a call during any time of the game. And for the haters who will argue, "it will slow the game down," I will gladly allow for 5 more minutes a ref needs so the Bills never get !@#$ed like the Chargers did.

Actually, I read something that the average replay/review takes 47 seconds. But often, the reason it takes longer real-time is b/c of the teevee networks going to commercials for 2:30... so the call has to wait until the Secret deodorant ads are over.

Goodness. There are enough injuries in the game already. Do we need to add more?

Exactly. Refs aren't sure if the play is over so they don't blow the whistle. Meanwhile some poor schmuck blows out a knee chasing down a defender who didn't really recover a fumble that wasn't.

It may not be the best solution but in this situation where the refs KNOW they screwed up, at least give the ball to the Chargers at the dead ball spot. This won't be possible in all situations because players will stop pursuing when they hear the whistle but the Chargers clearly recovered that ball before Cutler had a chance.

Would you glady miss the first qtr of a Bills 4:15 game cause the 1.00pm went long. NFL only worried about games going longer as it relates to the TV coverage.

I think most fans would still like to see the clock stop on out of bounds plays the whole game. I mean crimminy, we only get 16 games a year, make em as long as need be. Have 1.00pm games, 4.30 games, 8.30 games on Sundays and we will all be happy