Ko Simpson

Lothar

I only bring this topic up because he's been bashed in the past by some of the more astute minds on this board. But when I think back to his rookie season where he was ordained the starter at free safety, I remember one stat that stood out to me in a mediocre year was the Bills gave up the fewest long passes in the league (not sure what qualified as a long pass - may be 30+ yards or something similar.) And I do remember that Ko was never beaten deep. I think with a more aggressive pass rush and Whitner's progression, you'll see either the same fear of throwing deep or more interceptions by Simpson. I'm sure as we start playing against better receivers, we'll find out if this same stat holds but I'm putting my money on Ko - except when we play Moss, but now there's no Brady so who knows?

I know Simon isn't crazy about him, and I respect his opinions about DBs (and most things, football, actually), but I have always disagreed. Ko is VERY underrated, IMO, and a big part of the resurgence of this D. He has a nose for the ball (and did in College, too, IIRC) and has more than enough speed.

Most importantly, perhaps, he and Donte work very well together. By the end of the fist year together you could just see it. Of all the injuries on defense last year, Simpson's was one of the most important, IMO.

There were many here who were trying to replace him in the offseason. They were mostly worried about his injury and have been overcome with a condition named "George Wilson Fever."

I think Ko is starting to make people remember how good he was during his rookie season and will continue to do so. His best is yet to come.

Ko was another "Junior steal", just like Youbouty.

Had he stayed in college for his Senior year, he would have been a first round pick the following year.

I believe he is very underrated both with Bills fans and in the national media. I have a feeling that will change soon enough and he'll spend the majority of his NFL career as one of the better Safeties in the game.

Anyone who makes judgements on a player who was a rookie one year, and then hurt the next is narrow minded. I think the Bills would prefer to have Whitner at FS instead which is why they tried to get Mckree or whatever in the offseason. That doesn't mean Ko Simpson isn't good it just means Whitner is better.

I don't know that I'd say Ko is really underrated just yet. I think he's very good and has the potential to be excellent, but he's still young and a little raw, and has considerable room to improve and become an impact player.

That said, I'm fairly confident that we'll see it soon.

Whitner as a FS?

Why? Whitners talents fit him perfect as a SS. The position he has always played?

I think that's int he interest of keeping the positions interchangeable as they say they want to. Whitner can definitely play FS. I think they wanted a more traditional guy to come in and sort of play a three-man rotation depending on down and distance. Sort of like a rich man's Bryan Scott.

There were many here who were trying to replace him in the offseason. They were mostly worried about his injury and have been overcome with a condition named "George Wilson Fever."

I think Ko is starting to make people remember how good he was during his rookie season and will continue to do so. His best is yet to come.

Am I the only one who has yet to be "cured"?