Final word on Albany game

macdaddy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got Furlong's response from Doug Sherman and Ken Schott of the Gazette in Schenectady wrote this:

Gazette

This just blows me away. There are more Bills fans in my neighborhood than there are Colts & Vikings fans in the area combined. What a f**kin' joke.

Not to mention, I was looking forward to watching the Bills live on my 50" HD plasma for the first time.

:pirate::huh: :huh: :):D :D :D;)

I have connections at the TU. I'll see if they will pick this up.

To me it is obvious why the Bills Game is not on. WRGB carried the Jets preseason games. The goal is to make this a Jets area. There really can't be any other reason. How else could the Indy - Minn game be put on in NY?

BTW - For anyone in Saratoga county looking for a great place to watch the game check out Ravenswood. Anytime the game is not carried locally, the Southern Saratoga chapter of the Bills Backers meets there. We get the side room which has two flat screen tvs.

I got Furlong's response from Doug Sherman and Ken Schott of the Gazette in Schenectady wrote this:

Gazette

This just blows me away. There are more Bills fans in my neighborhood than there are Colts & Vikings fans in the area combined. What a f**kin' joke.

Not to mention, I was looking forward to watching the Bills live on my 50" HD plasma for the first time.

:pirate::huh: :huh: :):D :D :D;)

That little blurb will do a lot, I am guarantee. WRGB's parent company, Freedom Communications, will see this and address the issue. I presume Furlong is going to have a meeting very soon at Freedom Communications' headquarters.

I'm sure they have a PR department clipping news nuggets every day, but I sent it to the corporate office just to be sure they have a chance to see it.

To me it is obvious why the Bills Game is not on. WRGB carried the Jets preseason games. The goal is to make this a Jets area. There really can't be any other reason. How else could the Indy - Minn game be put on in NY?

It already IS a Jets area. The Jets have more priority than the Bills do - which is something I won't argue with, as we're much closer to NYC than Buffalo.

Not to mention, the Jets are going to be on, anyway - CBS has the doubleheader. Someone at WRGB has to realize that the Colts-Vikings has ZERO local interest, so why not put on a game that at least has a New York-based team with a good (if not excellent) following in the Albany area? WRGB can only help their local ratings by doing this.

So, why would you ignore your local fans, and really show disdain for the only NFL team from the station's state, for a game that isn't likely to produce big ratings?

IMO, this is simply a screw up by Furlong, and he isn't intelligent enough to realize it, and/or big enough to admit, and correct it.

It's ok, the NAB is next week and Furlong will be among the loud chorus on how unfair life is for broadcasters and they need help.

So, why would you ignore your local fans, and really show disdain for the only NFL team from the station's state, for a game that isn't likely to produce big ratings?

IMO, this is simply a screw up by Furlong, and he isn't intelligent enough to realize it, and/or big enough to admit, and correct it.

Well, with all the invectives WNY'ers fling at the State Capitol, maybe the guy's just gettin' payback... :pirate:

JUST GOT THIS FROM THE FURLONG:

To: Bills Fans

Date: 9/11/08

Subject: Sunday's 1 pm Buffalo vs. Jacksonville on CBS6

This is a retraction of yesterday's e-mail. Fred Lass, CBS6's Chief Engineer and huge Bills fan, who was born and raised in Niagara Falls, was in my office late yesterday crying. I and CBS cannot stand to see a grown man cry. So CBS6 is going to carry the Bills game on Sunday 9/14 instead of the Indianapolis game. Please thank CBS for agreeing to make this last-minute change and if you see Fred on Sunday, high-five him.

Bob Furlong, VP/GM

Now of course the multitudes of Colts & Vikings fans in the Capitol Region will mount their offensive.

Any day now.

Just wait for the overwhelming emails and calls.

Furlong won't know what to do.

A sincere, "Well Done!" and "Congrats!" to you Albany area fans. I'm sure the grassroots campaign had an impact, but (as usual) it's always good to have friends in high (or, at least, well positioned) places.

Also, I think it's appropriate for you all to thank Mr. Furlong for reconsidering his (terrible) initial decision. I take back much of what I said about him, initially. He is big enough to change his decision, and did it publicly.

(Good to hear one of my Falls' brothers in TV was key to the getting the change made.)

JUST GOT THIS FROM THE FURLONG:

To: Bills Fans

Date: 9/11/08

Subject: Sunday's 1 pm Buffalo vs. Jacksonville on CBS6

This is a retraction of yesterday's e-mail. Fred Lass, CBS6's Chief Engineer and huge Bills fan, who was born and raised in Niagara Falls, was in my office late yesterday crying. I and CBS cannot stand to see a grown man cry. So CBS6 is going to carry the Bills game on Sunday 9/14 instead of the Indianapolis game. Please thank CBS for agreeing to make this last-minute change and if you see Fred on Sunday, high-five him.

Bob Furlong, VP/GM

Not complaining, but it would have been nicer if he had said how the "feedback" of numerous fans in the area helped influence him and a grown man crying put him over the top.

But hey...whatever it takes. :pirate: