Why does everyone think...

I read the posts about our draft next year and free agency, and everyone wants a Pass Rushing Defensive End...

Folks...We had 5 sacks on Sunday!

We just drafted Ellis, we have a Pro-Bowler in Schobel, Kelsay and Denney are pretty solid (especially against the run), Spencer Johnson can play DE, Copeland Bryan has been decent...and from the looks of our scheme on Sunday, we had EVERY Defensive Lineman lining up EVERYWHERE! I saw DE's moving inside, DT's moving outside, LB's rushing/blitzing...our D-Line looked PHENOMENAL!

I would say we are alright on the Defensive Line.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to wait and see if Ellis can get on the field, and if he does, how will he look? Kelsay and Schobel aren't exactly "young" and it's always good to have a guy waiting and being groomed. Rotate as necessary. That said, I agree with what most others are saying we need OLBs for both depth and for starting, as wells as a pass catching TE.

The positions most needed will be (in no order) TE, OLB and OC.

Who we pick up in free agency and who is available on the board at the time will determine which position we select. Since I don't know 1.) what free agents we'll sign, and 2.) who is available at #32, I'm not going to say which is the most important. They are all equal to me.

Must be refering to me. So I'll explain

1. Aaron Schobel- He's no spring chicken anymore. While he can still be productive, will not get better then he currently is. He's pretty much hit his peak. I have no qualms with Schobel. He's a top tier dend, but he's the only main threat we have as a pass rusher.

2. Chris Kelsay/Ryan Denney- I like Denney. He's a good depth player. He can come in on rotation, and holds up well against the run. Lacks a first step and closing speed. Plays with good leverage, and is consistent. Kelsay on the other hand is far from consistent. Isn't as good against the run, and does not have a good 1st step. People can throw out this "He'll prove you wrong stuff". Im not buying it. I've been saying for several years, even since we drafted him the guy is not a starting quality dend. We can surely get better production.

3. You're throwing out these numbers 5 sacks. That's great. How many times did we blitz? Take the blitzing aspect away. Do you trust the front 4 simply to create pressure by themselves. Is Chris Kelsay causing hurried throws? I'm not even talking about sacks. I'm talking about pressure. Making the qb uncomfortable in the pocket. Kelsay lacks technique, a first step and a closing burst. A High Motor is great and all. Always good to give 100%, but the guy is no threat from the lde spot.

4. There's a good number of high quality pass rushers coming out this year. I've mentioned some of them in previous posts. The draft as you know is about the future. How best to serve the team moving foward. When you have the chance to draft a potential future starter, at one of the most important positions in the game outside of Quarterback you should jump on it.

I'm going to stick by my stance that this team needs a pass rusher. The dline is hardly what I call elite. We could also afford to draft a dt. Lose Stroud and we're right back to where we were the past few seasons defensively. Yes we can use a olb. However I think that's a position thats the defensive equivalent to runningback. Where you can get quality production out of later round picks. You're less likely to see that at defensive end. Yes I believe dline play is the most important aspect again outside of quarterback.

Must be refering to me. So I'll explain

1. Aaron Schobel- He's no spring chicken anymore. While he can still be productive, will not get better then he currently is. He's pretty much hit his peak. I have no qualms with Schobel. He's a top tier dend, but he's the only main threat we have as a pass rusher.

2. Chris Kelsay/Ryan Denney- I like Denney. He's a good depth player. He can come in on rotation, and holds up well against the run. Lacks a first step and closing speed. Plays with good leverage, and is consistent. Kelsay on the other hand is far from consistent. Isn't as good against the run, and does not have a good 1st step. People can throw out this "He'll prove you wrong stuff". Im not buying it. I've been saying for several years, even since we drafted him the guy is not a starting quality dend. We can surely get better production.

3. You're throwing out these numbers 5 sacks. That's great. How many times did we blitz? Take the blitzing aspect away. Do you trust the front 4 simply to create pressure by themselves. Is Chris Kelsay causing hurried throws? I'm not even talking about sacks. I'm talking about pressure. Making the qb uncomfortable in the pocket. Kelsay lacks technique, a first step and a closing burst. A High Motor is great and all. Always good to give 100%, but the guy is no threat from the lde spot.

4. There's a good number of high quality pass rushers coming out this year. I've mentioned some of them in previous posts. The draft as you know is about the future. How best to serve the team moving foward. When you have the chance to draft a potential future starter, at one of the most important positions in the game outside of Quarterback you should jump on it.

I'm going to stick by my stance that this team needs a pass rusher. The dline is hardly what I call elite. We could also afford to draft a dt. Lose Stroud and we're right back to where we were the past few seasons defensively. Yes we can use a olb. However I think that's a position thats the defensive equivalent to runningback. Where you can get quality production out of later round picks. You're less likely to see that at defensive end. Yes I believe dline play is the most important aspect again outside of quarterback.

I highly respect and admire your analysis and opinions. However, I do not trust Robert Royal, Melvin Fowler and the Front Office to resign Angelo Crowell...leading me to not trust Keith Ellison.

i don't see where people see a roster spot opening here

schobel - signed through 2013

kelsey - signed through 2010

denney - signed through 2009

ellis - signed through 2011

the only really replaceable guy is copeland bryan but how important is the #5 DE? to put it in perspective, the bills went into game 1 of the 2007 season with 4 DE's on the roster, and one of them was injured

we all know that kelsey and denney aren't going to light the world on fire, but i think the point that many here miss is that they are important members of the team just as much from a locker room perspective as what they bring to the field........for that reason, as well as their decent production on the field (and in denney's case, on special teams) i just don't see either getting cut before the end of the contract

based on the above, i don't see DE as a priority heading into the '09 offseason, barring injury..........TE, OL, and OLB look like much greater needs

I'm way more concerned about our DT's than DE's. Like High Motor said, we're a Stroud injury away from defensive mediocrity again.

Our needs, in this order, are:

1. OLB (the future of Crowell's knee is in doubt, plus he's a free agent this coming March)

2. C (Fowler is solid backup, Preston should not be in NFL)

3. DT (replace McCargo if he doesn't develop by end of year)

4. TE (in the mold of Jay Riemersma)

5. G (replace Whittle)

6. QB (replace Losman)

7. FB (Barnes doesn't overwhelm me with his talent)

I'm way more concerned about our DT's than DE's. We're a Stroud injury away from defensive mediocrity.

Our needs, in this order, are:

1. OLB

2. C

3. DT

4. TE

5. QB (replace Losman)

6. FB (Barnes doesn't impress me)

i'm going to paint the same picture as the DE position:

stroud - signed through 2010

williams - signed through 2012

johnson - signed through 2012

mccargo - signed through 2010

so who goes if they add another DT? mccargo? are we really ready to just chuck him to the wayside? he's signed at reasonable terms for the next two seasons, so i don't see the urgency

i think we could obviously improve the talent on the DL (hell, any team could) but realistically i think the bills have locked up players they are very happy with and i don't see big changes happening here because there isn't the "fodder" to replace as in prior years

like DE, i wouldn't have DT as a priority going into the '09 off-season