Robert Royal

I am of the opinion that the only thing which stopped Royal from being an elite TE is his hands.

Royal is listed as being the same height as, and 5 pounds lighter than Antonio Gates. It wouldn't surprise me if Royal was stronger. He is a fine blocker; he gets open consistently, and is even fast enough to get into the endzone.

I don't know if a player can develop a pair of good hands at age 30. Maybe he can. Trent has an easy ball to catch, and I'm not sure how he was used in DC. What I do know is the Royal and Edwards appear to have a very good chemistry, and if it continues, it is going to win them football games.

I don't believe Royal's issue ever was dropped passes, he has decent hands. We are so quick to defend our QB's by saying we had a bone headed OC in Fairchild, but it never applies to anyone else. Isn't is fair to say that by having a better OC and running a less predictable offense that every offensive player should benefit?

I don't believe Royal's issue ever was dropped passes, he has decent hands. We are so quick to defend our QB's by saying we had a bone headed OC in Fairchild, but it never applies to anyone else. Isn't is fair to say that by having a better OC and running a less predictable offense that every offensive player should benefit?

Yes. That was not my point, and I talked about how talented he is. Still, his numbers were not great before he came to Buffalo. There would seem to have to be a reason. I hope that he continues to progress because as I said....if he does, the Bills will win more football games.

Yes. That was not my point, and I talked about how talented he is. Still, his numbers were not great before he came to Buffalo. There would seem to have to be a reason. I hope that he continues to progress because as I said....if he does, the Bills will win more football games.

Oh well that answer is simple, he is a very good blocking TE and was never used as a feature TE. The Redskins drafted Cooley in 2004 and used him in passing situations...

Oh well that answer is simple, he is a very good blocking TE and was never used as a feature TE. The Redskins drafted Cooley in 2004 and used him in passing situations...

I want you to be right. I want the answer to be that simple. Usually, guys who can make plays work their way in....somehow. I want Royal to be the guy who develops at the age of 30. We haven't had a productive TE since Metz.

Please don't tell me about Riemersma, he was awful.

I want you to be right. I want the answer to be that simple. Usually, guys who can make plays work their way in....somehow. I want Royal to be the guy who develops at the age of 30. We haven't had a productive TE since Metz.

Please don't tell me about Riemersma, he was awful.

I agree, Metz could block and catch. I would love for Royal to assume that same role. I was never a big Riemersma fan. Royal is never going to be a 80 catch TE, but he could easily reach 50. I really believe he has the hands and talent to reach 50, he just needs his number called more...

Please calm down. :lol: Nobody is saying that Royal is not talented. The thing is, he is 30. I am guessing that most TEs develop at a younger age.

If Royal can defy the norm, this would be nothing short of great for the Bills. As I said, the guy does many things well.

Calm down? I didn't realize I was excited; just continually flummoxed by the one-track thinking of many on this board. I also didn't put Royal in the Pro Bowl or call him "great" -- I pointed out some observations about his play that lead me to believe he'll be a significant contributor and someone defenses can't ignore.

Unfortunately, some of the yo-yos around here will continue to blast him for not getting two feet down against the "tacks" two years ago, as if this is an indication he sucks and will never amount to anything.

Calm down? I didn't realize I was excited; just continually flummoxed by the one-track thinking of many on this board. I also didn't put Royal in the Pro Bowl or call him "great" -- I pointed out some observations about his play that lead me to believe he'll be a significant contributor and someone defenses can't ignore.

Unfortunately, some of the yo-yos around here will continue to blast him for not getting two feet down against the "tacks" two years ago, as if this is an indication he sucks and will never amount to anything.

Again, Royal has the skillset to rise to the next level, but he still has a lot to prove.

James Hardy.... or rather WR2....

Hardy looked bad most of the day, and I didn't see him effective in the RZ so right now, on offense, that is our weakest link. Hardy's presence out there will draw attention for a while, but if he doesn't show something in the next few games D's will be allowed to compensate.

Of course I am not expecting very much from a rookie WR in his first few games anyways.... Even the great Randy Moss took 9 games to start being a factor.

Guest dog14787
So after Sunday, what is the biggest weakness of our offense?

Playing well in Bad weather, we need a Dome :lol:

This team is way to loaded with talent to become one dimensional because of bad weather and I like our running game allot, but we get a Dome, we get a superbowl played here one day.

It would be great for the city of Buffalo and great for the fans, besides, bad weather is a disadvantage to a team like Buffalo.

2 things:

Robert spent the off season working hard. He cut down his body fat, and worked on his agility.

Flame away, but I have heard whispers that hardy will end up being an antonio gates type tight end. This is not my opinion, it is just what i have heard. It was just my sources' opinion, but they are a good source. (He will obviously have to pack on some pounds)

So in other words, he didn't put up big numbers, and you're assuming the reason for that is specifically that he doesn't have a good set of hands?

You've repeated this theory over and over again without anything to back it up. I don't ever remember hearing that he dropped a lot of passes.

Guest dog14787
2 things:

Robert spent the off season working hard. He cut down his body fat, and worked on his agility.

Flame away, but I have heard whispers that hardy will end up being an antonio gates type tight end. This is not my opinion, it is just what i have heard. It was just my sources' opinion, but they are a good source. (He will obviously have to pack on some pounds)

hmmm, a way to get him onto the field more, not a bad idea :lol: