Edward's in the Pocket

Mr. T

I watched the game again last night and one of the things that I took note of was when the rain actually stopped. Obviously TE's play in the elements is key to his success down the road and I was surprised that the rain lasted well into the 3rd Quarter...point being their were several nice plays from the offense in the wet conditions. (several not so nice plays as well, but I was pleasantly surprised nonetheless)

I'm certainly not suggesting that Trent can't make any plays in the rain, or snow...simply that he seems to struggle a bit. Perhaps someone who was at the game can tell us how the weather changed, during the course of the game. From my view, on the medium size TV I was watching, the weather seemed at its worst, early in the game. While still raining, it looked much lighter in the second half...from what I saw (and remember).

I know like everyone else that Edwards got off to a slow start against the Seahawks. But something that I saw him do better than any Bills quarterback for quite some time was his slideing around in the pocket. On his TD pass to Royal you can see how he instinctively felt pressure, deftly takes a step forward while keeping his eyes downfield, and launches a perfect pass to his TE. Thats not something that can be taught, its natural.

This kid has a pretty good line in front of him, but he's going to make them look even better.

What were you watching last year??

"Don't want to hurt you, try not to fack with your feelings"

I'm certainly not suggesting that Trent can't make any plays in the rain, or snow...simply that he seems to struggle a bit. Perhaps someone who was at the game can tell us how the weather changed, during the course of the game. From my view, on the medium size TV I was watching, the weather seemed at its worst, early in the game. While still raining, it looked much lighter in the second half...from what I saw (and remember).

It seems like it was a rare combo of TE being rusty (actual game conditions) and the bad weather in the 1st half. He improved as he got his timing back and the weather got better around the same time. Hard to say how much each contributed. It's going to be interesting to see how he plays in bad weather as the season goes on.

and welcome back...

Guest dog14787
Trent actually HAD a pocket all day. That has simply been rare for any Bills QB (including JP and Trent) for quite a while.

With that said, aside from the one sack (which was Trent's fault, I think) he was terrific in the pocket and certainly has better pocket presence than JP.

Good to see you Dean :thumbsup:

JP Losman to me is not your typical pocket QB, but was being forced in the old offense ran by Fairchild to stand still in the pocket and take his medicine like a man. Meanwhile try to figure out what the heck Fairchild is even trying to do on any given play. :D

Well, I certainly agree he has better pocket awareness than JP and Bledsoe (and RJ). And, I see what you mean about Skin Flutie. He may have had decent presence, but his choices were sometimes suspect. In Kelly's best days, he looked pretty good back there. Toward the end, though, he did have some problems.

So, yes, so far, given the limited number of starts we have to observe, Trent may be better in the pocket than all of them...but, let's give it a little while to see how it plays out.

Obviously, one area where Trent needs to improve, is in his ability to use his feet to pick up some yards. Another area where I have some concern continues to be his play in bad weather. I think (and hope...and pray) that he will continue to make progress in those areas, too.

In the Steelers preseason game, he had a run of about 22 yards on a play that started from his own goal line, and I was shocked as to how well he can move. Observing that play, I'd actually say his top-end speed is better than Losman's. This is a guy who CAN make plays with his feet, so lets hope he develops a sense for when to take off as time goes on.

Oh, and its good to have ya back Deano.

Guest dog14787
In the Steelers preseason game, he had a run of about 22 yards on a play that started from his own goal line, and I was shocked as to how well he can move. Observing that play, I'd actually say his top-end speed is better than Losman's. This is a guy who CAN make plays with his feet, so lets hope he develops a sense for when to take off as time goes on.

Oh, and its good to have ya back Deano.

TE kind of looked like he was running in slow motion to me, I kept thinking OMG, someones going to snag him from behind and put a hurtin on him, no way he's faster than JP, JP's got some wheels.

People probably laugh when I say TE could groom JP and no, not the beard, but they remind me of Joe Montana and Steve Young. Two different style QB's, but still I'm willing to bet that Steve Young learned allot from Joe Montana.

You're either joking or you have been watching a different JP play for a different team.

JP never seemed to be able to sense the pressure and step up and still make a throw, or, he couldn't sense the pressure and just get rid of the ball. Inevitably he would just get sacked.

You clearly overlook JP's ability to do the run sideways, back arch where he attempts to dangerously flick the ball to a receiver in the flat as he is being sacked.

I disagree. I feel that JP has equal or greater presence.

You just didn't get to see it with the old system and OL.

Back then, when the pressure came, it was too big to evade.

are you kidding me jp never felt pressure only the pain after the pressure brought him down. believe me this is coming from a jp supporter he just does not have "it". he does not have it between his ears. he cannot process info fast enough. if you could take trents head and put it on JP's body you would have a great QB.

Trent actually HAD a pocket all day. That has simply been rare for any Bills QB (including JP and Trent) for quite a while.

With that said, aside from the one sack (which was Trent's fault, I think) he was terrific in the pocket and certainly has better pocket presence than JP.

Where you been, man? I thought you were dead. Good to see you back.

TE's best attribute in the pocket, especially while moving around, is how he keeps his eyes downfield the entire time. It's critical since a lot changes in the flow of a play in the blink of an eye. It's sounds like a simple thing to do but it's difficult with the mayhem than occurs on every play.

GO BILLS!!!

Trent did this very, very well in the Seahawks game. Several times I think. It especially helped out Chambers who was then able to push his man outside and out of danger of getting a good shot at Edwards.

There were a couple of moments when a defender seemed to get a hand on him, and Trent was able to shake it off and get the pass off. In fact, I think it happened on the TD to Royal. Part of me who doesn't know much about anything wonders if that added muscle he put on plays a part in his ability to do that versus getting spun.

I know like everyone else that Edwards got off to a slow start against the Seahawks. But something that I saw him do better than any Bills quarterback for quite some time was his slideing around in the pocket. On his TD pass to Royal you can see how he instinctively felt pressure, deftly takes a step forward while keeping his eyes downfield, and launches a perfect pass to his TE. Thats not something that can be taught, its natural.

This kid has a pretty good line in front of him, but he's going to make them look even better.

one word: P O I S E :lol:

TE's best attribute in the pocket, especially while moving around, is how he keeps his eyes downfield the entire time. It's critical since a lot changes in the flow of a play in the blink of an eye. It's sounds like a simple thing to do but it's difficult with the mayhem than occurs on every play.

GO BILLS!!!

Pocket awareness is huge and it's obviously one of Trent's best attributes. It's very exciting to finally see a Bills QB with that 6th sense you need in the pocket. Running as a QB is highly overrated (unless your in college) but mobility in the pocket is huge, just being able to feel that pressure and slide to one side or the other keeping the eyes downfield is something that I would guess is very hard to teach. Jimbo had it, Marino had it in spades and our beloved Brady, as Jaws says, is the most mobile quarterback in the game. I absolutely love that ability in Edwards.

Guest dog14787
Just taking a much needed break. Things are good, for the most part.

Hope things are all good on your end, Tre.

Dogs barking, trolls trolling, insane posts from insane posters, take a break?

Dean we need all the insanity we can get around here, geeesh :lol: