Bizarre story about Vince Young

bills44

That dude is crazy.

First, he wants to retire before the season. Then Jeff Fisher has to force him on the field Sunday after Young doesn't want to go back out there. Then, Young's friends call Fisher, worried about his mental health. And now Fisher is calling the cops on him and finding guns in his glovebox.

I have to wonder if Young's mindset is there to play QB in the NFL. He's had success since HS, and now that there's some adversity, he wilts under the stress. He has to know after passing for 9 TD's and 17 INT's last season, that he's going to be under a lot of pressure to perform. Especially with the Titans getting to the playoffs last season.

If this behavior is strange, I think I should be in the loony bin. My Rolodex cover has a label where I wrote, "Frustrations in My Daily Life."

Wanting a little time to yourself --- especially when family/friends/entourage/hangers-on and wannabes are at your place stressing you out after you've been injured --- and driving off without a !@#$ cellphone ringing 24/7 with people asking you where you are and what you're doing.... Since when is this a crime or even something to be worried about? Sounds like he's got quite a few people around him who have pretty warped delusions of their importance. 'Oh no. Vince walked away from us. He must be mentally unhinged!'

That ESPN article didn't mention the gun, but yes, local media down there are reporting Young had an unloaded gun in his glove compartment. There, reportedly, was no ammo in the car and police were not concerned about the weapon.

If this behavior is strange, I think I should be in the loony bin. My Rolodex cover has a label where I wrote, "Frustrations in My Daily Life."

Wanting a little time to yourself --- especially when family/friends/entourage/hangers-on and wannabes are at your place stressing you out after you've been injured --- and driving off without a !@#$ cellphone ringing 24/7 with people asking you where you and what you're doing.... Since when is this a crime or even something to be worried about? Sounds like he's got quite a few people around him who have pretty warped delusions of their importance. 'Oh no. Vince walked away from us. He must be mentally unhinged!'

Certainly not a crime. It is not the incident itself but the sequence that was worrisome. He showed signs of a mental breakdown on the field, gets booed by the crowd, gets injured and then has his conduct on news, blogs etc. If he disappears after that me, as a family member, would be definitely worried.

That ESPN article didn't mention the gun, but yes, local media down there are reporting Young had an unloaded gun in his glove compartment. There, reportedly, was no ammo in the car and police were not concerned about the weapon.

Owning a firearm is not a crime, in and of itself. Probably there for show (furthered by no ammo) in the off chance that something happens i.e. carjacking, etc. The likelihood is small (but rising these days) and often just the sight of a pistol is enough to make a small-time crook run or buys you some time. Ninety percent of the time police show up after everything's already happened so personal security is self-help --- despite all the cop shows on the teevee show you, police are pretty much there for the insurance paperwork.

Certainly not a crime. It is not the incident itself but the sequence that was worrisome. He showed signs of a mental breakdown on the field, gets booed by the crowd, gets injured and then has his conduct on news, blogs etc. If he disappears after that me, as a family member, would be definitely worried.

To be fair, his "conduct on news, blogs, etc." didn't happen until after the 4-hour getaway.

I agree with UConn James in the sense that it is absolutely ridiculous that we will be getting lots of speculation and questioning of the guy's mental state over a 4-hour session of getting away from it all. If this type of thing made you mentally unstable or insane, I know several people who should be locked up in a loony bin for having this type of thing as an outlet.

There is no doubt that he's struggling with his transition to the NFL, and I'm sure its been painful for him. Getting away from it all after an extremely poor day aint crazy or anything else.

Owning a firearm is not a crime, in and of itself. Probably there for show (furthered by no ammo) in the off chance that something happens i.e. carjacking, etc. The likelihood is small (but rising these days) and often just the sight of a pistol is enough to make a small-time crook run or buys you some time. Ninety percent of the time police show up after everything's already happened so personal security is self-help --- despite all the cop shows on the teevee show you, police are pretty much there for the insurance paperwork.

I believe having a gun without the will and means to actually use it is much more dangerous than not having any weapon. Pulling a gun has the very real possibility to seriously escalate a situation. Bluffing with a firearm is very dangerous, as the other party just might call your bluff. If you're going to pull it, you better be ready to use it.

I think he is an incredibly great college player, one could argue top-5 all time in the NCAA game, and possibly the best to not win a Heisman.

In today's NFL, he is a below-average QB and doesn't seem to grasp the same concepts that had scouts worried before he was drafted. He struggles reading zone defenses and adjusting at the line of scrimmage. He looks to run at the first sign of trouble and often runs to his right. However, instead of parading down the sideline on a 76-yard TD run, he is smashed by a linebacker after a gain of 4. His sidearm release and poor footwork lead to inaccurate passing. He is not what you would call a student of the game (largely because he has always been an athletic freak.) Those were worries before he was a pro, and they have manifested themselves to be true in his third season.

Now, with some adversity, he is showing some signs of mental weakness as well. Vince asking to leave the game is just strange. Sounds like a bruised ego to me. What is it with these Longhorns??? There are MANY people out there (and possibly a few in the Titans locker room) who wonder if Kerry Collins is a better fit for their team right now.

He's from Texas. They probably gave him the gun free with the purchase of the car.

He is not what you would call a student of the game (largely because he has always been an athletic freak.) Those were worries before he was a pro, and they have manifested themselves to be true in his third season.

While I agree with much of what you posted, I wouldn't necessarily say its because he "has always been an athletic freak". Texas primarily runs a shotgun, one-read offense (both during Vince's era here and the current Colt McCoy era). I think most Texas QBs are going to have issues transferring to the pros.

What is it with these Longhorns???

You mean all of these?

To be fair, his "conduct on news, blogs, etc." didn't happen until after the 4-hour getaway.

I agree with UConn James in the sense that it is absolutely ridiculous that we will be getting lots of speculation and questioning of the guy's mental state over a 4-hour session of getting away from it all. If this type of thing made you mentally unstable or insane, I know several people who should be locked up in a loony bin for having this type of thing as an outlet.

There is no doubt that he's struggling with his transition to the NFL, and I'm sure its been painful for him. Getting away from it all after an extremely poor day aint crazy or anything else.

First of all, I wrote one sentence poorly. What I meant was " his conduct was reported widely on news, blogs etc.".

Secondly, I am in no way criticizing Young for attempting to have some time to himself. I was rationalizing about how his family and coach could have panicked into calling the cops. He could simply have told someone he needs to be alone for a while and taken his switched off cell phone with him. Heck, even without the pressure of a public life, I love to have a couple of hours to myself in a coffee shop with no phone ringing or anybody bothering me.

First of all, I wrote one sentence poorly. What I meant was " his conduct was reported widely on news, blogs etc.".

Secondly, I am in no way criticizing Young for attempting to have some time to himself. I was rationalizing about how his family and coach could have panicked into calling the cops. He could simply have told someone he needs to be alone for a while and taken his switched off cell phone with him. Heck, even without the pressure of a public life, I love to have a couple of hours to myself in a coffee shop with no phone ringing or anybody bothering me.

I, too, wrote part of my post poorly. I didn't mean the other part necessarily directed at you, but was a general comment on the situation and my feelings on it. Sorry for the confusion.

I, too, wrote part of my post poorly. I didn't mean the other part necessarily directed at you, but was a general comment on the situation and my feelings on it. Sorry for the confusion.

No problem.

In a way, I feel bad about this situation. I really hope he pulls his life together. He was entertaining to watch and it is always good to have good QBs in the leagure - makes games more challenging and fun to win.