How 'bout Ashton Youboty?

lets_go_bills

I noticed his solid play as well, which has been a pleasant surprise. I though his goose may had been cooked at one point. We may have two CB's to extend this offseason........

Amazing turnaround for a guy who was on the bubble three weeks ago.

i believe he lead the team in tackles today too...

According to CBS Sportsline's Gamecenter he did lead the team with 7 solo and 1 assisted stop.

I thought he was pretty solid, was flying around the ball most of the game, and seems to be gaining confidence every week. It's still early but it looks like the Bills' patience with him is starting to pay off.

I noticed his solid play as well, which has been a pleasant surprise. I though his goose may had been cooked at one point. We may have two CB's to extend this offseason........

A very pleasant surprise. He looks like he's developing suddenly and quickly. We should really keep our eyes on him.

Amazing turnaround for a guy who was on the bubble three weeks ago.

Absolutely.

He was on the bubble with fans only.

I think that's mostly true. I don't think he was in real danger of being cut unless he really stunk up the field this preseason, but drafting McKelvin and Corner and signing James was definitely a wakeup call. I think the signing of James in particular was a win-win way of seeing how Ashton would respond to competition. If he accepted the challenge and rose to occasion, great - nothing lost but James' salary for a couple months. If he looked like he was still stuck in neutral they could trade or release him and keep James as the nickel back until McKelvin or Corner were ready to contribute full-time.

I think that's mostly true. I don't think he was in real danger of being cut unless he really stunk up the field this preseason, but drafting McKelvin and Corner and signing James was definitely a wakeup call. I think the signing of James in particular was a win-win way of seeing how Ashton would respond to competition. If he accepted the challenge and rose to occasion, great - nothing lost but James' salary for a couple months. If he looked like he was still stuck in neutral they could trade or release him and keep James as the nickel back until McKelvin or Corner were ready to contribute full-time.

Interestingly, much of the same could be said about McCargo and the signing of Stroud and Johnson. Similar situation, somewhat different results.

The only difference I see is that I think they were hoping that Stroud would be a veteran presence to work with McCargo and Williams, taking the pressure off the youngsters while helping with their development. I think they wanted McCargo to see what a dominating DT looks like, how he trains, prepares, etc., and that McCargo would start doing that himself and the Bills would have two very good DT's lining up next to one another.

The only difference I see is that I think they were hoping that Stroud would be a veteran presence to work with McCargo and Williams, taking the pressure off the youngsters while helping with their development. I think they wanted McCargo to see what a dominating DT looks like, how he trains, prepares, etc., and that McCargo would start doing that himself and the Bills would have two very good DT's lining up next to one another.

Good point. It certainly would have been nice to see McCargo pick his game up in response, similar to Youboty. Youboty may very well be the surprise of the season. He definitely played a solid first game.

Good point. It certainly would have been nice to see McCargo pick his game up in response, similar to Youboty. Youboty may very well be the surprise of the season. He definitely played a solid first game.

True. The season is still young for McCargo, and hopefully a veteran player like Stroud or Mitchell has a heart-to-heart with him and helps him get his head on straight.

Then again, if the whispers about his work ethic and drive are true, then it won't matter who is lining up next to him.