Shaun Rorgers or Marcus Stroud?

Kipers Hair

Just got done reading the article in SI about the Browns - looks like the Bills had a third and fifth on the table for Shaun Rogers this year if a deal with Cinci fell through, (which it did). The Browns came in with a player and a third and got him. That said, it appears Rogers was our first choice to plug the middle... In the end - I think Stroud is a better talent and fits the D more, but I thought it was interesting the Bills were interested in a historic overweight underachiever...though he's got a great mowhawk.

Just got done reading the article in SI about the Browns - looks like the Bills had a third and fifth on the table for Shaun Rogers this year if a deal with Cinci fell through, (which it did). The Browns came in with a player and a third and got him. That said, it appears Rogers was our first choice to plug the middle... In the end - I think Stroud is a better talent and fits the D more, but I thought it was interesting the Bills were interested in a historic overweight underachiever...though he's got a great mowhawk.

Rogers played for Jauron in Detroit.

Rogers played for Jauron and he's younger than Stroud. He also hasn't had an injury history like Stroud's. All that being said, I'm still glad we got Stroud on our team. He's a massive upgrade from anything we've had around here since the Adams and Williams days. He will make our defense better, no question.

from what ive read about them rogers was a kind of guy who needed to be pushed a little. and that jauron in his time at detroit found the right buttons. but for stroud you never needed to find that button. hes more self-motivated. so i like him better than rogers

Rogers played for Jauron and he's younger than Stroud. He also hasn't had an injury history like Stroud's. All that being said, I'm still glad we got Stroud on our team. He's a massive upgrade from anything we've had around here since the Adams and Williams days. He will make our defense better, no question.

Rogers is only a year younger than Stroud. He is also bigger, more durable (less injury prone), and IMO a better athlete. Rogers downside was that he wanted big money as an elite DT and has some motivation problems (Jauron would have not had a problem getting him to fire on all cylinders). However, I like Stoud and as long as he can stay healthy, will provide us a big, stout lineman over the middle who can certainly stop the run (ala Pat Williams, Ted Washington, and Sam Adams) and also shake things up in the opposing teams backfield. Paired up with Kyle Williams, I am pumped about what our D-Line will do this year.

Rogers is only a year younger than Stroud. He is also bigger, more durable (less injury prone), and IMO a better athlete. Rogers downside was that he wanted big money as an elite DT and has some motivation problems (Jauron would have not had a problem getting him to fire on all cylinders). However, I like Stoud and as long as he can stay healthy, will provide us a big, stout lineman over the middle who can certainly stop the run (ala Pat Williams, Ted Washington, and Sam Adams) and also shake things up in the opposing teams backfield. Paired up with Kyle Williams, I am pumped about what our D-Line will do this year.

Even though Stroud is a year older (9 months actually) than Rogers, both have been in the NFL for 7 seasons. And both have had ankle problems and a drug suspension. Stroud has been more acclaimed, having made 3 Pro Bowls and named to 3 All-Pro teams. Rogers has made the Pro Bowl twice. And Stroud, as has been said, doesn't need to be motivated; he just is.

I liked when they said he was 30 pounds lighter, and that had him weigh in at 360 or so. If Cleveland doesn't play well this year, does Rogers start going to the buffet more often liked he did in the second half with Detroit last season?

At this point, I'd rather have Stroud. He's more mobile, and I'd agree he fits this defense better. Besides, he knows he's playing for a better contract in the near future as well.

Rogers has had injuries going back to college at Texas (yes, college injuries count). That's why he dropped to the second round. Stroud is hardly more injury prone than him.

Both players match off pretty evenly in number of games started in their seven seasons (98 games for Rogers (353 tkls and 29 sacks) and 100 games for Stroud (274 tkls and 22 sacks). Both have had their share of injuries. My point was that Rogers played 16 games last season and Stroud played 9 games. The season before, Rogers was out with injuries and only played in 6 games. Stroud played 11 games. Prior to 2006, Stroud played all 16 games for five seasons.

I love the acquisition of Stroud but my prior point was that he has lately (last two seasons) had some injuries so my only concern is his durability as the season wears on. If he can stay healthy, he will be a force. As others have also stated, he is not a headcase and "shows up" for every game.

Go Bills!

Both players match off pretty evenly in number of games started in their seven seasons (98 games for Rogers (353 tkls and 29 sacks) and 100 games for Stroud (274 tkls and 22 sacks). Both have had their share of injuries. My point was that Rogers played 16 games last season and Stroud played 9 games. The season before, Rogers was out with injuries and only played in 6 games. Stroud played 11 games. Prior to 2006, Stroud played all 16 games for five seasons.

I love the acquisition of Stroud but my prior point was that he has lately (last two seasons) had some injuries so my only concern is his durability as the season wears on. If he can stay healthy, he will be a force. As others have also stated, he is not a headcase and "shows up" for every game.

Go Bills!

Good point. I'm hopeful he'll remain healthy.

Russ Brandon talked about this. Marcus Stroud wasn't on the trading block until a day after Rodgers. After Rodgers fell through Stroud became available by the Jaguars. The rest is history.

I would rather have Stroud he is a 3 down player.