Wheres the props for the front office now?

marauderswr80

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True. And I believe they did the right thing. But I don't necessarily believe, like you said, this automatically puts them in a better position. I think if Peters plays well, it puts the holdout in the better position. And the Bills will have to really break the bank for him. Like the 9-10 mil a year.

Like, for instance, if he just came to camp this year and was a happy camper like most everyone here seemed to think he should, then had another Pro Bowl year, the Bills could have said in next years off season, Look, you still have two years left on your deal. We'll give you a big extension you're obviously worth, but it doesn't start until next year. Which is what they are saying this year. And Peters really couldn't do much. He'd be in the same position he is in now, having to show up to camp right before the season started.

But now, since they already went through that, the Peters camp can say, we were the nice guys last year, and you saw our resolve. This year were not going to be the nice guys and you are going to have a revolt in your locker room and fan base.

Ok, I was with you until the last paragraph. Sorry, there's no way to classify holding out through the entire preseason, refusing to communicate, and showing up just before the season opener so you don't lose $191K as nice guys. It was selfish, and not in the same country as "nice". You can argue that it didn't hurt him financially, that it helped him, all that... time will tell. Maybe he will have more fan and locker room support next season if he holds out again, but that also remains to be seen.

My guess is that he plays really well, the Bills offer him something south of $9.5M per year, he balks, and we begin again.

Ok, I was with you until the last paragraph. Sorry, there's no way to classify holding out through the entire preseason, refusing to communicate, and showing up just before the season opener so you don't lose $191K as nice guys. It was selfish, and not in the same country as "nice". You can argue that it didn't hurt him financially, that it helped him, all that... time will tell. Maybe he will have more fan and locker room support next season if he holds out again, but that also remains to be seen.

My guess is that he plays really well, the Bills offer him something south of $9.5M per year, he balks, and we begin again.

Oh, I totally agree with you. And personally I don't think they were nice guys at all. I just said that's what they will say to the Bills, meaning that is what Parker will argue in negotiations. In effect, he will be saying, Jason deserved more last year (2007), he deserved more this year (2008), and we played for less. Now we're no longer willing to do that in 2009.

And this is total conjecture, but I think you're right about what the Bills will offer him, about 9 or so mil a year, which is a ton of money. And Parker will ask for about 10-11 mil a year. We'll see where it ends up. That's why I think this is a unique situation. You can't compare it to the other signings and extensions because it is SO much money.

Oh, I totally agree with you. And personally I don't think they were nice guys at all. I just said that's what they will say to the Bills, meaning that is what Parker will argue in negotiations. In effect, he will be saying, Jason deserved more last year (2007), he deserved more this year (2008), and we played for less. Now we're no longer willing to do that in 2009.

And this is total conjecture, but I think you're right about what the Bills will offer him, about 9 or so mil a year, which is a ton of money. And Parker will ask for about 10-11 mil a year. We'll see where it ends up. That's why I think this is a unique situation. You can't compare it to the other signings and extensions because it is SO much money.

ok, I got you, that makes sense, even though the FO will laugh hysterically at what nice guys Peter Parker were in 2008.

peters gained nothing in the holdout and cost himself by being behind in the new offense, losing face with the fans/teammates/management by showing that he only cares about himself, and dollars that will come out of his pocket to pay fines.........and, if he isn't in shape, he will cost himself further through injury and/or poor performance

just because he held out this year doesn't put him any further ahead for a new contract............the bills will work with his agent to try to work out a deal this season, as they would have anyway.........the bills will continue to work with his agent next off-season if they still haven't reached a deal, like they would have anyway.........and if peters decides to hold out again next year, the bills will take the exact same stance again - show up and we'll continue talks/sit home and nothing will happen and you'll owe us somemore money.......bills have shown they won't be bullied into a new deal, whether it be this training camp or next........peters will have to abide by his contract until the bills are good and ready to give him a new one, which is exactly how the NFL should work

The other 31 teams should be sending champagne to Ralph for staying firm. If other teams operated in a similar fashion, holdouts would be rarer which is a good thing. Good for the Bills for remaining principled in this matter and what makes it a no-brainer is that the result (player reporting before the first game) was so predictable.

By now, the team should know which players are those who cannot hit the market. Peters and Evans are clearly big parts of building a winner, but it's going to take some resolve to not only get those guy under contract. Recognizing what guys are replaceable is the next step. Looking at FA's to be, Crowell and Greer hit UFA after this season, with McGee in 09. I'd say they're now at the point in rebuilding where they must let mid-tier UFA's hit the market, and subsequently draft (or already have) their replacements in the fold.

Moral victories are nice and get lots of attention. The real battle begins when negotiations begin, and as we've seen, it takes the Bills an awfully long time to sign even their own guys who they know better than anyone else. I'll applaud the front office when they can lock up Evans and Peters to take the next step toward respectability on the field. For the past few years, few NFL pundits have thought little about the Bills. Naming Brandon de-facto GM was a move that many questioned, especially in light of the owner who controls everything behind the scenes. He stil has a lot to prove.

The front office will look much better when the players they've picked who play the games start winning some games. It's amazing how on-field success makes everyone look better.

echhh. i dont want to entertain the thought of "propers" going to 1BD....i want a proactive front office. recognize when your stars are stars and pay THEM accordingly. reward performance. yes. even a possible "one year wonder" for those who think thats what he is. show your young players that outstanding performance will be recognized in this organization without the need for holdouts and watch the agents players hire.

Don't remind me. That's okay to do with a cb, not with a pro bowl OLT.

Why is it 'okay' to do with a Pro Bowl CB?

Moral victories are nice and get lots of attention. The real battle begins when negotiations begin, and as we've seen, it takes the Bills an awfully long time to sign even their own guys who they know better than anyone else. I'll applaud the front office when they can lock up Evans and Peters to take the next step toward respectability on the field. For the past few years, few NFL pundits have thought little about the Bills. Naming Brandon de-facto GM was a move that many questioned, especially in light of the owner who controls everything behind the scenes. He stil has a lot to prove.

Exactly. It is premature laudation to say this situation is over, the FO has definitely won, this result will eliminate the holdout as a negotiation tactic. Fort Sumter didn't decide the war. In fact, if the FO is slow to get to the table this year, it wouldn't be surprising to see another holdout from Peters himself.

The Bills are losing in Jacksonville next week.

They have a very, very, winnable game this week- one that they should win, in fact.

How stupid do you have to be to applaud the front office for this before anything is seen on the field? If the Bills lose this game by 3 points, is there anybody out there that won't wonder what would have happened with a healthy and fit Peters on the field?

If Seattle wins, Buffalo starts 0-2. They'll pull off their usual run in October-November, get to their 7 wins, and that'll be it.

The fact is, while almost all of us think this team is capable of being a playoff contender, a good start (say, 3-2 or 4-1) is crucial for them. When you start the season expecting to win 10 games, and only 12 or 13 of the games on the schedule are winnable in the first place, and possibly lose one because your best player sits out even though he's healthy, it's not a medal of honor for the front office.

If they can beat Seattle, then win one or both of the games in St. Louis/Arizona, they'll look smart for the way they handled Peters. If they start 0-2, they won't make the playoffs. It's too early to applaud them for having their best player watching the game in street clothes on Sunday.

If its and buts were candy and nuts....